need market update: single li-ion compatible LEDs

Huz

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the forums and its hard to keep a track of all new and upcoming LEDs. I am looking for a LED for hiking/running/climbing/alpine and my primary criteria is highest performance to weight ratio. I figure lightest has to support single li-ion battery for ultra compact size and ability to recharge it on field with a solar charger.

I have done some research and Minimus seems to have good throw and excellent UI but it $$.

Quark 123 with prism kit seems very versatile but I will have to wait for reviews. New quark mini 123 with XPG seems nice but it is not regulated.

After looking at beam shots of Zebralights, it seems too floody for navigation. (http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/)

Streamlight Argo HP seems like excellent value. But it is heavy and would look weird for night runs.

What other comparable LEDs are out there or coming soon?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Re: Headlamps that work on single li-ion battery

That Zebralight is the only off-the-shelf one I know of and a very good choice for a backpacking trip, especially since you'll be using it on one of the lower modes most of the time when out in the great outdoors. It is easily the best headlamp for around camp because of its complete flood beam.

Sadly, headlamps seem to lag a bit behind the technology used in hand held flashlights, but that will probably change as more companies begin to make higher quality headlamps. The new Surefire and Felix lights are giant steps forward for headlamps, but are not quite what you are looking for since they take other batteries.

Last edited:

Huz

Newly Enlightened

What about quark series particulay 123. I have been just looking into it and it sounds better then zebralight. I believe it is possible to use rcr123r li ion battery with it. There is going to be a prism kit available soon which will allow use as a headlamp and add diffusion and color filters.

Huz

Newly Enlightened

Surefire minima looks awesome. Any chance it can use rcr123a instead of cr123a?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened

yes but...i love my quarks, but if (when) i need to get a headlamp, i want to get a light DESIGNED to be a headlamp zebralights are great little machines and he really takes his time designing every aspect of the light

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new prism for quarks looks really promising. Sorta makes the quark into a zebralight.

I own the Zebralight H501 and its a great light, runs very well off a single 14500 and you can always chuck NiMHs or primaries in, no problem, think that would be a great light for camping.

i got mine directly off their site

It was $20 cheaper than 4sevens so i had no qualms stumping up for EMS shipping which got the light to me in 3 days

Huz

Newly Enlightened

I have read that h501 has limited buck circuit design unlike Older h60. This results less performance when using li ion battery. I guess it comes down to H60, surefire minimus and quark. I really like the versatality of quark with prism kit. Any advice?

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Streamlight Argo HP runs superbly on one 17670. While it is just slightly brighter on the 2 CR123's that come with it, the difference is not significant. Runtimes are fantastic, about 6-7 hours on high and over 20 hours on low. It is a simple low-high-off electronic click switch, like the Zebralight switches. I have both the older Luxeon version and the new "C4", or Cree, version. Both are excellent, with the Cree putting out a lot more light with a much throwier beam. I got them for just over $30 each at a local fire/police supply store, but they are available at many online stores. Don't get the regular Argo that uses 3xAAA batteries, you want the Argo HP.

The light can also be modded to house an 18650, but it involves carving away the channel inside the battery tube that guides the brass contact strip running down the tube. The tube itself is wide enough for the cell. I have never bothered since it already runs so long on a 17670.

Huz

Newly Enlightened

I have updated thread title and posted more details in the first post.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Huz
Welcome!
Something to consider when attempting to charge a Lithium-ion battery
from solar panels is the weight of the charge controller
plus the need for a larger panel to power that controller.
Extra weight

Might want to consider a 3AA headlamp with NimH batteries
and something like a SunlinQ folding solar panel which you
can just jumper wire (temporarily) into the headlamps
battery compartment to recharge.
I've used this setup and get 290mA -full sun- from this
panel which can top up partially discharged NimH's fairly
fast.

For cold weather you can splice a longer wire onto the battery
pack and carry it in your coat pocket rather than letting it ride
on the back of your helmet. Keeps it warm, increasing
output power, negates the absolute need for a Li-ion.

Good luck

hopkins

zemmo

Newly Enlightened

The Streamlight Argo HP runs superbly on one 17670. While it is just slightly brighter on the 2 CR123's that come with it, the difference is not significant. Runtimes are fantastic, about 6-7 hours on high and over 20 hours on low. It is a simple low-high-off electronic click switch, like the Zebralight switches. I have both the older Luxeon version and the new "C4", or Cree, version. Both are excellent, with the Cree putting out a lot more light with a much throwier beam. I got them for just over $30 each at a local fire/police supply store, but they are available at many online stores. Don't get the regular Argo that uses 3xAAA batteries, you want the Argo HP.

The light can also be modded to house an 18650, but it involves carving away the channel inside the battery tube that guides the brass contact strip running down the tube. The tube itself is wide enough for the cell. I have never bothered since it already runs so long on a 17670.

Anyone know which Cree emitter they're using? XR-E?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if you meant to say that the Argo HP and Zebralight switches work similarly. Just to be clear, the Argo HP switch does not work like a Zebralight. The Argo HP has Low and High, and it starts on low.

The Zebralight H501 has Low-Medium-High-strobe. The user can start either on Low or High.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone know which Cree emitter they're using? XR-E?

I looks like an XR-E to me, not XR-C since it has 4 bond wires, should be at least a Q bin XR-E.

davidt1 said:
I don't know if you meant to say that the Argo HP and Zebralight switches work similarly. Just to be clear, the Argo HP switch does not work like a Zebralight. The Argo HP has Low and High, and it starts on low.

The Zebralight H501 has Low-Medium-High-strobe. The user can start either on Low or High.

No, my intent was to describe the switch itself, not the user interface. The Argo HP switch is the electronic type like a calculator button or mouse switch, as opposed to the mechanical clicky that works like a retractable ball point pen mechanism and tends to be more prone to failure. My River Rock headlight (now Streamlight Enduro) uses one of those, in a Low-High-Off sequence, and it requires a lot more effort to cycle it as well. The feel of the Argo HP switch is much more like the Zebralight, although maybe just slightly heavier to get it to click.