Quark AA^2 Won't work when head/tail reversed

jcw122

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I just tried putting my Quark AA^2 Tactical into the reverse config (so that the clip is head-up now), and it will not turn on. The batteries are in the correct direction. I've always ran head-down, but decided to try it different.

-Jon

Last edited:

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...:thinking:

Not sure what to suggest, as I haven't encountered that problem with mine, but here are a couple random thoughts. Does it work if you switch it back to bezel down? If no, then perhaps check to make sure the washer in the tailcap hasn't come a bit loose. If yes, then perhaps check the seating of o-ring on the tailcap side of the body tube (when in bezel up configuration) to make sure it's not preventing the tailcap washer from making contact with the body tube.

jcw122

Enlightened
It does work in the bezel down config.

Tail-cap size of the tube's o-ring looks to be fine.

It doesn't work bezel down on my AA body as well.

Dan FO

Enlightened
My AA works fine either way. Are you sure the clip retainer ring is screwed down all the way?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run my AA tact 'reversed' since day one.
I just lego'd my Q 2 123 Ti T backwards and forwards and all combo's with both ti and aluminum parts (mainly just so I could post that I have to re-assure you), no problem.
Further, you'll notice on the 4sevens the quark clip is listed as reversable because the body tube functions both ways.

The 'retaining ring' issue is that, if it's up too high, the driver wont make contact, so screwing it down tight is a fix. Keep trying: there is no design reason it won't work, and hundreds of people have there work out for them. You'll figure it out, and then you'll be pleased.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold and mailed off my Quark today, so I can't look at it. Had the same model as yours, but with the neutral emitter.
Try removing the clip and retaining ring, and see if the light functions without them in the way.
If that doesn't work, clean everything, look for any differences in the depth of contact surfaces in the tailcap and head(if you have some calipers, or just something to stick in there and make a mark on), ano on the contact area at the end of the body, anything that looks different. Most of the time when you troubleshoot a contact issue it ends up being something simple. Sometimes it just takes trying a bunch of different stuff to see what that simple thing is.

Like Linger, I used my Quark with the head/tail reversed for bezel up carry, though I switched back and forth a couple of times to see which I would prefer. I have a nagging memory that something wasn't right at some point, like maybe I had to crank down on the retaining ring one time when one part or the other wasn't making contact like gswitter said.

jcw122

Enlightened
I'll have to look at it again today when I get the time but...

I noticed that there is actually a tiny bit of space between the retaining ring and the bezel when it is bezel down. It almost looks like the head doesn't screw down all the way, because there is space, not necessarily something blocking it.

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
Can't remember if you said you had already checked this, but when you look at it again, make sure the tailcap washer is tightened all the way down.

Last edited:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to look at it again today when I get the time but...

I noticed that there is actually a tiny bit of space between the retaining ring and the bezel when it is bezel down. It almost looks like the head doesn't screw down all the way, because there is space, not necessarily something blocking it.

Battery lenght issue or something related perhaps? Try attaching the head first and screwing it down and then attaching tailcap. Then try putting first the tailcap all the way down and then head. Observe if they seem to "stop" at different distances.

jcw122

Enlightened
Battery lenght issue or something related perhaps? Try attaching the head first and screwing it down and then attaching tailcap. Then try putting first the tailcap all the way down and then head. Observe if they seem to "stop" at different distances.

They do stop at different distances. When screwed onto the clip end...the tail screws down totally, but the head leaves a bit of room before the retention ring.

Last edited: