Buy now or wait for high lumen light?

ateallthepies

Enlightened
I have a few lights now in my collection but I am still after a SSC P7 or Cree MC-E type light.

I have searched on here of all the current options and at the moment it's between the Jetbeam M1X or a Fenix TK40/30.

However I am wondering whether it's worth waiting a while and see where the new emitters go? Will Cree put the XP-G into a quad style or something totally new or will SST-50/90 emitters become common soon?

I really only want one one mega lumen LED light as they are expensive and this buying lark could go on forever with all the small new advances if I let it!
The one's I mentioned would probably do all I want from a light but if a potential 1000 lumen light is just round the corner I could wait.

So should I wait?

Thanks,

Steve.

Tremendo

Enlightened
You can always wait.... Wait 3 months and there will be new things out.... But you can't buy then.... because 3 months later there will be more....

If you want it and will use it now, get it. Advances have been huge in the past 2 years.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The advantage of the M1X and TK40 is that they are high lumen lights that can also be turned down for a broader range of uses. If you're wanting just high-as-possible output without everyday utility, skip LEDs altogether and just get an HID. Your local Wal-Mart probably carries the Stanley HID3000, 3000 lumens for $70..

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
p7s and mces are in lots of custom mags, custom mags sell for about 60 quid all the time used here at the market place.

buy one now.

in 3 months you can sell it for the same as it cost you.

flashlights dont wear out :)

ateallthepies

Enlightened
The advantage of the M1X and TK40 is that they are high lumen lights that can also be turned down for a broader range of uses. If you're wanting just high-as-possible output without everyday utility, skip LEDs altogether and just get an HID. Your local Wal-Mart probably carries the Stanley HID3000, 3000 lumens for $70..

No your right, I want a high output LED that can be used on lower settings as well.
I have a 3500 lumen HID that rarely gets used as it is just too big.

Steve.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
The TK40 is excellent and I recommend getting it.

Yes I have been reading up on it and the most recent thread extolling it's virtues. I have no trouble getting any sort of batteries here but am now thinking maybe a AA light may be a good idea as I have loads of nimh and alkies doing nothing in my cupboard.
At the moment I am undecided on the battery configuration but if there is a light just round the corner that has better efficiency and higher output then I may wait.

Steve.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on what everyone has been saying, there's always going to be something new, when i got the TA30 i was like 'wow' then came the TA21 etc etc.

Get it now, enjoy it, when something new comes out, you can always sell it for a slight loss, why suffer the time without a light? Immediate gratification is the key.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think the pace of technology will always leave us second guessing our decisions. Seek out the best deal you can.. and just hope for the best.

Moka

Enlightened
Immediate gratification is the key.
Thats what she said... :crackup:
(Sorry had to do it...) :nana:

I have to say buy now... I bought an 80Lm E1B Backup about a year ago... Well and truly outdone on many factors by alot of newer torches... Do I regret it... No way... I got(and am still getting) use out of it...
Buy it, you really won't regret it... and when the new ones come out... Buy those too... :p:devil:

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Well, just got the MG PLI, and have been VERY happy with it. Not sure much will change over the next three months, other than a broader selection. Now, a year from now, I am CERTAIN there will be better offerings, but I can't say I have any issues with the one I have. VERY bright, rechargeable Li-ion chemistry, small, light, what's not to like? Yes, it's a MC-E light.

I have a few lights now in my collection but I am still after a SSC P7 or Cree MC-E type light.

I have searched on here of all the current options and at the moment it's between the Jetbeam M1X or a Fenix TK40/30.

However I am wondering whether it's worth waiting a while and see where the new emitters go? Will Cree put the XP-G into a quad style or something totally new or will SST-50/90 emitters become common soon?

I really only want one one mega lumen LED light as they are expensive and this buying lark could go on forever with all the small new advances if I let it!
The one's I mentioned would probably do all I want from a light but if a potential 1000 lumen light is just round the corner I could wait.

So should I wait?

Thanks,

Steve.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Yes I have been reading up on it and the most recent thread extolling it's virtues. I have no trouble getting any sort of batteries here but am now thinking maybe a AA light may be a good idea as I have loads of nimh and alkies doing nothing in my cupboard.
At the moment I am undecided on the battery configuration but if there is a light just round the corner that has better efficiency and higher output then I may wait.

Steve.

Mixing batteries or using cheap alkalines have been know to cause problems with leaking etc... 4sevens (a very reputable dealer on here) have said they have been receiving lots of TK40 returns/exchanges due to people mixing batteries that either have different amount of charge or cheap alkalines... Read up on this issue before you decide to go with it. Other than that, it is a very great light.

Although I recommend the M1X. Amazing quality. Throws incredibly far, and low mode is adjustable so you can use it anywhere.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
It is the same with computers, or ipods or any other form of technology - the march of progress is so fast and continuos there will *always* be something better around the corner, so if you wait three months to see if there are any new advancements with XP-G or whatever, everyone will then just be contemplating the next new revision to trump what you have just been waiting for.

So stop worrying about the future, figure out what is available now and see what fits your criteria :)

jblackwood

Enlightened
It is the same with computers, or ipods or any other form of technology - the march of progress is so fast and continuos there will *always* be something better around the corner, so if you wait three months to see if there are any new advancements with XP-G or whatever, everyone will then just be contemplating the next new revision to trump what you have just been waiting for.

So stop worrying about the future, figure out what is available now and see what fits your criteria :)

+1

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Take a look at the Arc Mania X6 Ostar and LED Lenser X7/X21. I would also still consider the Stanley HID that StarHalo recommends as it is very small and weighs only about 4 pounds...