What rechargables for novatac 120p

Z06Pilot

Newly Enlightened
I am tired of burning thorugh primary cells in my main lights (Novatac 120P and Surefire Z2 with Malkoff head). What recargables are best for these lights? I don't necessarly need the same type for each light.

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
AW's protected RCR123a's should fit the Novatac.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=144427

Which Malkoff drop-in are you running in your Z2? I'll assume it's the M60 or one of its variants. If so, you will need two Li-Ion cells to keep it in regulation. AW's RCR123a's will work fine with the M60, but the question is whether they will fit the Z2 tube, as the diameter of those cells are very slightly larger than 123a primaries.

You could always pop in an M30 and run 17670's in the Z2. :naughty:

But be careful with Li-Ions if you haven't used them before. They're great when used and cared for properly. But they can be finicky (and dangerous, if misused). Be sure to do some careful reading and research before making the plunge into Li-Ions.

Last edited:

Z06Pilot

Newly Enlightened
I am running a m60 head that I picked up about a year ago. If I remember. it has a q5 emitter in it.

fareast

Enlightened
I use AW's IMR16340's or his protected RCR123's. Mostly though the IMR cells since I don't really need the protection of the cell itself. Funny enough, both have about the same runtime though the IMR has a slight egde and runs a bit longer.

Z06Pilot

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you requie prtection? What situation warrents protected cells.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do what I did and drop seven bucks on a 2x123 HDS tube (NEVER put two cells in it in your Novatac, though) at Lighthound, and do Hogo's brass bar mod to run an 18650:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207486&highlight=brass+strip

Rechargable, and MONSTER run time. Read my comments near the bottom of the thread, too, if you are going to do this. Once you get the bar right, it works wonderfully. You do have to deal with the loose part when changing the battery, but that is not very often with an 18650.

Otherwise, it works fine with the long spring (sold at Lighthound also) and a 17670. I used it that way until Hogo posted his mod.

aceo07

Enlightened
You could do what I did and drop seven bucks on a 2x123 HDS tube (NEVER put two cells in it in your Novatac, though) at Lighthound, and do Hogo's brass bar mod to run an 18650:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207486&highlight=brass+strip

Rechargable, and MONSTER run time. Read my comments near the bottom of the thread, too, if you are going to do this. Once you get the bar right, it works wonderfully. You do have to deal with the loose part when changing the battery, but that is not very often with an 18650.

Otherwise, it works fine with the long spring (sold at Lighthound also) and a 17670. I used it that way until Hogo posted his mod.

Wow..the tube has dropped in price. (I haven't been around for a while.) I remember when they were like $40 and I refused to afford one. Too bad the HDS only handles up to 7.3V, so I can't do 2 RCR123s.