Yet another reason why the Big Box store sucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So today, I decided to go to a local small hunting/fishing/gun store to purchase a box of SF batteries. This store has been in business supplying outdoor equipment to the Richmond, VA area for over 60 years. I have shopped there many times, buying many things for my outdoor habits.

Recently, one of the Big Box stores opened up less than a quarter mile away from this store. I've been there many times as well, but always seem to go back to the small place, not because of the prices, but because of the better, more personal service that I received there.

Going online, I found that I could buy that box of SF batteries for $24. I know that I can/could order them cheaper from a couple of places, including directly from SF, but I'm that guy that wants something when I want it and I don't want to have to wait days for it to arrive at my house.

So I decided to stop at the big shop - in this case, Gander Mountain. So for a box of 12 SF 123A batteries, they wanted......................$39.95.:eek: Yep. $39.95 for the same box of 12 batteries that the small store that has been around for 60+ years has for $24. And when I offered this up to the salesman in the not busy at all Big Box store, he said: "Maybe you should go buy them there. We cannot offer you any discount."

So, I got into my car and drove almost a quarter of a mile down the road and then bought TWO boxes of those batteries just because...

What a crock of shite. :ohgeez:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you should have used the same $$$ and bought 3 boxes from SF direct... just because.

**edit** in an effort to make something productive out of this thread, I have been very happy shopping at my local REI store. They have a great return ploicy and have gear out on display to play with. I have never even encountered a dead battery in their demo headlamps... Suunto, gerber, surefire, princeton tec, camelbak... really cool stuff

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
you should have used the same $$$ and bought 3 boxes from SF direct... just because.

:thinking:

Going online, I found that I could buy that box of SF batteries for $24. I know that I can/could order them cheaper from a couple of places, including directly from SF, but I'm that guy that wants something when I want it and I don't want to have to wait days for it to arrive at my house.

I'm not sure how I would have bought 3 boxes of batteries direct from SF for the $50 that I paid for them at the local store - given that they are $21 each plus shipping when ordered online from SF... Of course, if you're saying that I should have just bought from SF "simply because," then I say no, simply because I support my local establishments with my business as much as I can and $6 extra for batteries that may help keep a local place in business is worth it to me.

But clearly, the point of my post was missed. I was merely trying to point out in a way that hits home at the pocket that one doesn't always get the great deals they think they will get at the Big Box stores.

I'm lost on how that was so hard to extrapolate this from my story...:duh2:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Not all B&M retailers have a price matching policy. You did the right thing by hunting down the best bargain. If everyone jeered every retail chain that refused a price match... we'd have an entire forum just dedicated to that.

But your point is now clear, although I don't know what relevance it has in the general flashlight forum. I think it was the off topic content that threw me.

Anyhow... carry on without me:twothumbs

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Jackson, TN (West TN) a box of 12 from Gander costs $32. We have a gun store though that sells them for $20. If only I could figure out what he said their name was I would go there :(

lightplay22

Enlightened
I've glanced at the surefires in Gander mountain - full retail + tax = No Thanks!

Over $3.00 ea.? Lowes beats that selling them in 2 packs!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Almost exclusively anything Gander Mountain has can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

FINDING the elsewhere can be the problem.

I have scored stuff like CCI CB Longs and decent cheap pocket knives. But my CZ 452 MT was not exactly a deal.

DM51

Flashaholic
Post #1 did not initiate a discussion about Flashlights, nor did it inform us about a Good Deal. It's not even a Jeer - it would not qualify under the rules. It's really nothing more than a shopping experience at a store where the OP didn't even buy anything.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.