Suggestion for hunting headlamp?

txgolfer45

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a headlamp primarily to wear when going from my truck to the deer stand and back in early morning and late evening (before dawn and after dusk). I need it to have either red or green LED (or both) for night vision so as to not spook animals.

Suggestions?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
zebralight makes an excellent product and they just came out with a red headlamp, it can be seen here

it comes with a headband, but because of the unique angle head, you can just clip it in your pocket if thats easier. A word of warning, if you are looking for a laser beam-like hotspot this is not your light. It is PURE flood. (In my opinion this is perfect for a headlamp)

tnuckels

Enlightened
Check out the Remington (Rayovac) ≈ $50, 4xAA.

One thing's for sure, this will fit any head out there, so long as it's smaller than a basketball (read: the straps are very generous). The undiffused main LED spot mode is somewhat narrowly focused and the hotspot is quite distinct. Thank goodness for the diffuser which can be flipped to either side of the light. Lack of directions caused a slight delay figuring out how the battery pack cover is removed (it twists off and is tethered).

Each side, main LED and 5mm LED, have their own switch and work as follows:

Main: 1 click = high, 2 click = low, 3 click = off
5MM: 1 click = 2x5mm RED, 2 click = 2x5mm RED + 1x5mm BLUE (blood tracking), 3 click = 2x5mm RED blinky, 4 click = OFF.
T
he two sets of buttons work independently but not simultaneously, cancelling each other out, and only work in a linear progression. The battery pack has an additional red LED that blinks when activated, which is good for being seen or followed.

The RED+BLUE
"blood tracking" combination does bring out certain colors, blood being one, the yellow petals of a Brown Eyed Susan (flower) for another, and works better than the ROV Sportsman Extreme 1xAA, which, as far as I can tell, basically doesn't work at all in this regard (confirmed by other CPFers). Still, don't expect a black-light type of glow. The sample I viewed was only a bit more distinct than the background. Other larger samples may work better but I wasn't willing to spill any more of my own blood to find out.

A competent offering, IMHO, there are at least two threads on it that you can find by searching for "Remington RMHL4AA-B".

Good Luck!