Fenix TK11 slightly brighter then SureFire LX2

Miracle

Enlightened
I have a first generation Fenix TK11 rated at 225 lumens

If I compare beams between the TK11 and the SureFire LX2, I find that the TK11 is just slightly brighter then the LX2.

Is this right?

Or is the LX2 suppose to be brighter then the TK11?

:candle:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
How are you comparing the two? Ceiling bounce, light meter or just outdoor/indoor comparison?

Miracle

Enlightened
How are you comparing the two? Ceiling bounce, light meter or just outdoor/indoor comparison?

I would shine both the torch lights at the wall,

and when you move one beam over the other beam, you can see the brighter beam.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I would shine both the torch lights at the wall,

and when you move one beam over the other beam, you can see the brighter beam.

Does the TK11 have a tighter beam? That may be why it seems brighter.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would just show the light with the greater throw not necessarily greater output. Try the ceiling bounce test.

It wouldn't surprise me if the TK11 was brighter though.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
yes the TK11 have a tighter beam.

Thats probably why. My G2L and my Backup both have an even ~80lm output (ceiling bounce) but on the wall the backup looks much brighter since the optic provides a tighter beam than the G2Ls reflectored wider beam.

Miracle

Enlightened
can you please explain how do I do a ceiling bounce test?

Thanks

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
just shine both lights at the same spot on the ceiling in a dark room and observe the brightness of the reflected light. Not an exact science but it gives a pretty good approximation.

Miracle

Enlightened
just shine both lights at the same spot on the ceiling in a dark room and observe the brightness of the reflected light. Not an exact science but it gives a pretty good approximation.

thanks, I will try that

:)

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Turn off all the lights in a room with a (preferably) white ceiling. Turn one light on at a time, shining it at the ceiling, then turn it off and repeat with the other light and compare which light lights up the room more.

Edit: monkeyboy got it before me. Ipod touch slows ya down when typing :)

Last edited:

Miracle

Enlightened
Turn off all the lights in a room with a (preferably) white ceiling. Turn one light on at a time, shining it at the ceiling, then turn it off and repeat with the other light and compare which light lights up the room more.

Edit: monkeyboy got it before me. Ipod touch slows ya down when typing :)

thankx

I will try this

:grin2:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy's TK11 has a hotspot maybe half the size of my E2DL's, so I'm not surprised it looks brighter than a LX2, which should be similar. His TK11 has some serious throw for a light that size. I think he bought it because he wanted something brighter than the Malkoff M60W in my work light, and he was so happy when we compared their throw that I thought he might pee on himself.

Shine the two lights on the ceiling at the same spot from the same distance, and see how they light up the room. I usually look at the trim in a far corner. If the tints are a lot different it's sometimes hard to tell anything, though. Some of these guys use a lux meter to get an idea of how bright the ceiling bounce actually is, but I'm not that sophisticated.
edit: see I was a little late on that one...

Miracle

Enlightened
My buddy's TK11 has a hotspot maybe half the size of my E2DL's, so I'm not surprised it looks brighter than a LX2, which should be similar. His TK11 has some serious throw for a light that size. I think he bought it because he wanted something brighter than the Malkoff M60W in my work light, and he was so happy when we compared their throw that I thought he might pee on himself.

Shine the two lights on the ceiling at the same spot from the same distance, and see how they light up the room. I usually look at the trim in a far corner. If the tints are a lot different it's sometimes hard to tell anything, though. Some of these guys use a lux meter to get an idea of how bright the ceiling bounce actually is, but I'm not that sophisticated.
edit: see I was a little late on that one...

thanks.

I will try the ceiling bounce test tomorrow night

:)