my garage-built Riegel LED Light

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Bear with me as this is my first post here:

http://marokero.com/Riegel/

I've decided to name it after the star in the Orion constellation, Riegel ;) I'm a photographer by trade, and not thrilled by the prices and output of current commercially available lights, I decided to build my own. It took a few months to finalize the design, gather up the parts, have some aluminum pieces machined, make a stop at the ER to get my middle finger stitched (a stupid mistake while drilling one of the aluminum pieces), refining the design, and then assembling everything. I wanted it to be a flood light, but eventually I will figure out a way to attach a reflector to concentrate the light a bit. I used six EndorStar 7007s, six Luxdrive 3021 BuckPucks, a motherboard northbridge heatsink and fan combo, and a 261Wh LiFePO battery (12.8V & 20.4Ah). I needed the battery pack to be rugged enough to be put down on wet ground, hence the Pelican cases. The output is very bright, one full stop brighter than Litepanels MicroPRO that a lot of videographers and some photographers are using nowadays. I didn't know how to use a single dimmer/potentiometer to adjust output, so I just put two secondary switches to cut power from 100% to 50%. But a problem arised when instead of three LEDs being on at 50%, there are four. I checked the connections and soldering points, and I don't see any problems... weird. It's helped me through a wedding already, and during the reception, even at 50% (more like ~70%) output it eclipsed the video lights from all videographers! I did use it to help light the scene for my videographer friend, so he loved it :p

One of the cool features, at least for me, is that I can screw in any 77mm filter to change the color of the light, or just to protect the LEDs inside. A dark red filter really sets the mood if you know what I mean :naughty: I plucked the foam in the Pelican 1200 case to make room for at least one filter box, containing a neutral density filter to help cut down power to 25%. Also, it affords me some redundancy - if I break a filter on any of my lenses I can swap in the filter from my light, or vice-versa.

The light can get really hot after running at full power for around 30-40 minutes, so until I can get a proper thermometer to accurately measure the temperature of the front disc, I am weary of leaving the light on for prolonged periods. The specs say to run the LEDs below 100 C to maintain long life. At 50% (or 70%) the internal heatsink and fan can completely cope with the heat, and the light stays just lukewarm to the touch until the battery runs out. At full power the battery lasted about 4 hours and 17 minutes. Not continuosly, but with 5 minute breaks in between each run so the internal fan could cool down the light. I was hoping for a runtime a bit closer to 5 hours, but that's fine too. The way I shoot I don't need the light on for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. And it's great for lighting up backgrounds, specially now that the sun sets so early, and couples still want to brave the cold for some outdoor shots. Shooting through an umbrella (photo #40) cuts down power by 1-2/3 stops, or close to 4x, but the resulting light is velvet soft for close up portraits and macros.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable build, and I hope to get some photos to show the kind of results I'm getting.

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Looks very professional.

Useful too.

Is there any trick to bending the perforated sheet metal round the plate posts (clamps etc), or did you just use your hands?

Well done.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob: Very nice and it looks indeed very professional! :twothumbs

Oh and... :welcome:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice.

im sure you could make an old car headlight work as a focussing device, only $10 from a pick and pull and an hour with a tool to cut it.

:candle:

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, it really was a labor of love to build it :) I had to make it stand to some abuse at work, and I think I've succeeded in that.

KillingTime, I used two clamps to hold the perforated aluminum sheet initially, then bent it by hand. It's actually easy to bend it in place, but you just have to remember to use the smooth side of the sheet. At least the one I got had a smooth side and a somewhat rough side. Once you make the first two bends, move the clamps to the second bend point (one clamp at a time), and then continue. I overlapped the ends by about half an inch, then riveted it together.

waddup, that's a good idea. I'll expand my options because until now I was only looking into photo related accessories, and few lighting accessories from Home Depot and Lowes.

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks greenLED! I had been interested in LED lighting since around 2001, when I fabricated an LED ring light for my camera. Since there were no ring shaped circuit boards I made my own from parts I bought from Radio Shack, etching the copper board myself, and putting 5mm white LEDs from that time. They were 5600mcd types that were great for macros, not so great for portraits or lighting anything further than five feet. I built two versions, the second being more powerful, with 18 of those LEDs. The Riegel is several orders of magnitude more powerful than that ring light :D

Anyway, I just got finished with my second wedding of the week, and I got to use my light only at the bride's house - to help fill in the shadows on her dress - and then during the reception. This time I showed the light to my other videographer friend, and he absolutely loved it. He turned off his own light while I held my light on a monopod to light the party. It was sick! :)

Last edited:

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Wow! Bravo Alberto! Your months of work have produced a wonderful light!

It is apparent that you thought through the System and not just the light. Good work! The 77mm filter holder is a super feature and will be copied, I bet. The Pelican cases are a nice touch.

I do wonder, is there a protection circuit in your battery pack, to prevent over-discharge? And, what do you use to charge the pack? Also, your Endorstars, are they cool, neutral, or warm white?

I have been working toward building a similar light myself. I plan for 12 Rebel neutral whites on a fan-cooled CPU heatink. I am nearly finished with my battery pack. I purchased the new high-CRI Rebel parts for it, LXM3-PW51, and they look a bit different. The new part is the top LED:
high-CRI%20Rebel_01.jpg

Hope we can see more sample photos made with your new light! And I hope your hand heals up okay. Thanks for sharing your light with us.

Welcome to CPF :)

Cheers,
Jeff

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jeff! Actually the battery pack has built in circuitry to prevent over discharge, reverse polarity and over charging as well. These are the battery pack and charger links:

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo426650battery128v204ah26112wh40aratewithpcbfore-bike.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger10afor128vlifepo4batterypackworldwideuse.aspx

I opted for the fast charger because I don't have time between jobs. Sometimes one wedding ends at midnight and the next starts at 8am... :( And because it has a 10A rate, I opted for that big connector you see on photo #22 ( http://marokero.com/Riegel/content/ND3_1684_large.html ). I'm waiting to get better opportunities to shoot with the light. I either had to rush to get some of the shots, or I used an umbrella to soften the light, but that robbed some of the power output. About the EndorStars, they are the cool white variety, but if they are cool, then they are very close to daylight. A friend shot with his Canon 5D in daylight WB, and the result was dead on. I shoot with a Nikon D3 in AWB and the camera loves the light! I suppose the next time I build something like this I will put on a bigger heatsink, or make the housing one big heatsink to help dissipate the heat - I have a Xigmatek S1284 that would probably do a great job, but there's no way to shoehorn that in there :rolleyes: That and a big 120mm fan...

Illum

Flashaholic

these are rebels from Lumileds, not Rigel... :)
that's an amazing cluster!

While browsing your pics I noticed your Kaori Saeki figure...didn't know there are Bible black fans on CPF too...:twothumbs
The anime series *******ized la noche de walpurgis pretty well :whistle:

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Illum, I know they are Rebels, I just named my light Riegel :) And about that Kaori figure... I actually never watched the series, I just found it on Jlist and thought it would be nice to use her for testing different lighting schemes prior to going full size :D

marokero

Newly Enlightened
After a long while I got the chance to shoot outside to show how well the Riegel works.

off.jpg

on.jpg

It's the same subject, I just changed the time of exposure. It's a good flood light, not a good flashlight. Wonder how the optics for the EndorStars would affect the output of the light.

For some reason that problem where four LEDs turned on instead of three has gone away, so now the light operates as it was supposed to. Now I'm planning to build a new light, perhaps more compact and without a fan, but will probably do that for next year. It's still in the early stages of design experimentation and calculations :thinking: I also have to get a decent infrared thermometer to be able to get accurate readings of the lights' temps.

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Two comments for you:
1. If you are going to build a fanless light, it will need MORE heatsink, and may be as big or bigger that your existing light to stay cool enough to handle. The Rebel LED is spec'd to run at over 200 degrees F, so maybe an insulated area to handle it with would allow a smaller size.
2. I bought 2 different IR thermometers at Harbor Freight, and found that shiney metal does not emmit IR like non-shiney, so my readings were off. To measure your existing light, I would try taking readings from the black lens-holder area.
Happy thanksgiving, everyone!
Jeff O.

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the insight Jeff. I'm looking into CPU heatsinks for inspiration. Already took two from an AMD and an Intel processor to examine their structures. If I can't go fanless, at least I want my next light to be as badass as that spiked tungsten carbide crown in the other thread :twothumbs

AndThenThereWasLight

Newly Enlightened
Alberto,
Your light is a really nice piece of equipment, I can only imagine how it would come in handy with my Canon 50D. Both the build and the throw are really impressive. Nice work and I look forward to creating my own following your breadcrumb directions!

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
hi Alberto

You may want to look at some fanless cpu heatsinks with heatpipes.
The heatsinks housed in your perforated cylinder may works, though you may need more perforation and longer cylinder to house it.

here are some pictures and links of fanless type of cpu heatsinks available:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermalright-passive-cpu-heatsink,7995.html

http://www.acousticpc.com/fanless_cpu_coolers.html

http://images.google.com.sg/images?...ent=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

P-D-213457-3.jpg

a_thermalright_hr01_plus_best_pic-1.jpg

Cheers and nice build! :thumbsup:

josephsrcom

Newly Enlightened
marokero:
what type of connectors are those.. I see one large one that you said is for charging and the other is to feed the light. I like the waterproof covers.. where did you find them?

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Joseph, those are Bulgin Components plugs and sockets. The larger one is their 900 Series Buccaneer rated to 600V and 32A. The smaller one is a 400 Series Buccaneer rated to 250V and 8A. Both series are IP68 rated. The caps are sold separately, and I got them from Allied Electronics, but other vendors have them as well. I needed the 900 series for the charging port due to the amp rating - I use a fast charger that outputs 10Ah and I wasn't sure the 400 series would handle the extra 2Ah without heating up. Bulgin has their Standard Buccaneer connectors that handle less amps, but have nice options like a stress relief for the cables. I recently got some of those for a future project that I'm planning.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I've just built my first heat-pipe based LED cooler and I'm impressed.

I'm feeding the SST-90 with 4 amps so that's about 15 watts and the base doesn't get warm - about 40 deg C - air temperature 21 deg C - and that's with no fan running.

I used a Zerotherm Atom 30H low-profile CPU cooler that's rated up to 65 watts.

The base is 30 x 30 x 5mm thick copper with two heatpipes running through it. The midpoint of the heatpipes is accessible and it feels about the same temperature as the copper base, so those heatpipes are working well.

The fins are thin aluminium occupying 90 x 90 x 30mm - so it's more compact than most CPU coolers.

It's available at half price currently because most processors put out much more heat.