Can't Decide - Please Help!

pchambers

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to decide and I most certainly can not make up my mind about this. I have never had the chance to handle any of these lights but have done my fair share of lurking around here and checking specs on the manufacturer's web sites. I have a SF L1 and like it, but I know there's some nicer models available now and some that are lighter. The following are the lights I think I'm interested in and any advice/comments will be greatly appreciated. Here's to my first post and humble cry for help on CPF...

One of these:
4Sevens Quark 123 (Ti or reg?)
Fenix PD20 / PD30 (R2 or Q5?)
Any other great ones like these?

One of these:
SF LX2
Fenix TK10 11 or 12
Olight M21
Fenix TK30

I'd like to use 18650 or RCR123.

lovecpf

pobox1475

Enlightened
:welcome: Good to have you aboard :thumbsup:...

First; http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204940762&listingid=4962018

Clip on 123 is non removable and only allows bezel up carry which is not desirable IMHO. Warm tint seems preferred more and more now. I have a warm standard clipless 123 and a warm tac 123x2. Do not like blinking modes so I prefer the tac's UI as they can easily be buried. Quarks are very good lights.

Later add; http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html

With Q3-5B (warm tint) and OP (orange peel) reflector for more throw and utilizing 18650 for long run times. At around $80 it is a good value IMO.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
+1 on the quark, i have the quark123 regular with the clip, the clip may not be perfect, but its better than no clip for pocket carry, (i really don't see any prob with the way it sits in my pocket)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Out of the lists you posted, I would go with the TK11. :welcome:

Last edited:

pchambers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. A few other lights have come to my attention and I can now feel the addiction taking hold. A clip is not so important to me so I may go with the Quark 123 no clip, TK11 and or an Olight M21. How about the Deerelights - how do they stack up? the DBS MC-E seems pretty stout but then there's the TK30. Also, lurking around the customs threads a bit I noticed some incredible things going on with lights that get up into the thousands of lumen. Who do you think makes the best, reliable and also attainable customs? A guru named Mac is doing some wild stuff but you have to wait a year or something to get one.

pobox1475

Enlightened
^ Quark would be a nice start. Don't know about customs, just an average income Joe :laughing:. Deerelights are high on my lust list and have been praised within the forum. IMO an ideal set up would be a pocket light (single 123 or AA), what I consider a mid size (2 123/17670 Li-Ion or small 18650) and a true throw light with a large head running a 18650 like a DBS.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
you just cant beat the mg pli from shining beam for $70.

low-med-high 600+ lumens on high, small, 18650, built like a tank.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I don't like the Fenix TK10.

The clip is a joke. Clearly an after-thought added on at the last minute. The grip-ring is too sharp. (In all fairness, a common problem with metal grip-rings). The checkering is far too shallow. (Not even close to as good as on a Surefire L1). Head feels too big. Combined with the shallow checkering, I worry about the light squirting out of my hand.

Overall, disappointed with it. It's definitely bright as Hell! Nice beam profile too. But I look for lights that are all-around performers. If I only cared about output, I can find lights that are just as bright (and slippery) at a fraction of the price.

A stock Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop-in can do the same job, with a much better grip.

I have four other Fenix lights that I'm actually happy with. Especially my L0D model.

pchambers

Newly Enlightened
Please Santa, I've been a good boy! lol, here's what I think I'd like in descending order, but who knows... Hope I can win the lottery or something to pay for all this! Maybe sell a kidney, you've got two right? If I just work my way down the list slowly maybe the wife wont notice... :whistle:

OLight M21
Quark 123 clipless
MG PLI
Fenix Tk11 R2
Dereelight DBS V3 3SM MC-E
Surefire UA2
Dereelight C2H R2 (OP)
Surefire Lx2
Olight M30
iTP A1 EOS LED Flashlight Cree XP-E Q5 LED
NovaTac 120T Olive Tactical

Monocrom

Flashaholic
UA2 hasn't been released yet by Surefire. Likely won't be for a long time. The U2A is out there. Quite popular.