Help for a 777 Pilot!

wow400

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, fairly new here :wave: so sorry if this has been posted before (although I did have a look!).

I've got a Surefire A2 Aviator & I'd like something to replace it that is solely LED.

Can anyone recommend a torch around the same size which is a reasonable thrower (so I can check out the tail)....

Would prefer 123 powered as I have a few left but I wouldn't exclude a decent torch if it wasn't.

I saw the Olight M20 Titanium Limited Edition & I love the look but $350 is a bit too much!

I guess the other alternative is to replace the assembly of the A2 - I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron etc so does anyone know of any LED's that I could make fit (without having access to lathes/milling machines etc!)

Many thanks for any help you guys can give.

Cheers,

Nic

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get the normal version of the M20. No Ti, but it's cheaper. It should also have a good amount more throw then the A2. judging by the numbers (12000 Lux at 1m for the M20 vs 2000 lux at 1m for the A2 incan).

Modding an A2 to LED doesn't seem like an easy task, but what do I know, I haven't even handled an A2 before.

Many single CR123 lights can match the A2 in throw and output, so you might not even need a large 2 CR123 powered light. Something like the Quark 123 could work.

:welcome:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the SureFire LX2. It's about the same size as your A2, but with excellent throw and much improved runtimes. Are you planning on keeping both on you (A2 plus whatever you get) so that you still have the floody low beam from the A2?

-Robert

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
My brother (Captain) flies an A321. He swears by his Surefire E2DLed for inspection, and his new Itp A3 Eos for when he drops stuff in the cockpit or in the cab to/from the airport. (He is in love with his Eos because he can wear it on his ID lanyard and not even feel it.) Gunner12's suggestion (Quark) might be a better choice than the E2DLed if weight is a consideration for you. (Of course it is)

-Hitec-

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you liked your A2, I would think the natural choice would be to get the newest version of the A2, which is the A2 LED Aviator. Surefire quality and reliability.

A2LED_45L_large_25045.png

A2L_hand_large2_25045.png

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
If you liked your A2, I would think the natural choice would be to get the newest version of the A2, which is the A2 LED Aviator. Surefire quality and reliability.

This was my immediate thought as well. Also the quark 123 is a great light but not really known for a thrower I believe but then I haven't really seen the throw from an A2 to compare it to.

boats

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of in the dark navigation. Boats not airplanes. Need low red to preserve my night vision but also need something that will light up at distance too. Mostly picking out reflective daybeacons at night.

Most of the time I use a U2 Surefire with the flip open red filter. Sometimes will use a small single 123 light with a red filter and a hand held spot for the long work. It's real convenient to only carry one light though and the U2 fills the need. Thinking about going to a Quark Turbo for the Throw if it will come close to the hand held spot. lover to get rid of those cheap unrelable hand held spots.

Boats

Last edited:

dcycleman

Enlightened
LX2, but I dont know if the low would be low enough. If not you could pick up an e2l outdoorsman and put a red filter on it. that would fit the bill.

BVH

Flashaholic
I just picked up a Malkoff Devices M30 with Wildcat head. 550 Lumens out the front which will easily and brightly light up the 777 tail. It is also two-level with the simple, less than 5 degree slight twist of the head, While it's slightly larger than what you have, it is still fairly small. It takes 3 ea., 123's or 2 ea, 18500, both in either primary or rechargeable cells. Got mine at Flashlight Connection for $199 or so. Run time is about 1 hr on high. They look bigger in the on-line pics and it's quite a surprise when you open the package and see how small it it. I believe they are out of stock right now but more are being made.

MD3
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-md3-wildcat-p-77.html#back_in_stock_notification_form

If you want a little more run time 1.25 hrs on high, you can opt for the MD4 with Wildcat head.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-md4-wildcat-p-70.html

BVH

Flashaholic
I just picked up a Malkoff Devices M30 with Wildcat head. 550 Lumens out the front which will easily and brightly light up the 777 tail. It is also two-level with the simple, less than 5 degree slight twist of the head, While it's slightly larger than what you have, it is still fairly small. It takes 3 ea., 123's or 2 ea, 18500, either primary or rechargeable for the 123 cells, rechargeable for the 18500's. Got mine at Flashlight Connection for $199 or so. Run time is about 1 hr on high. They look bigger in the on-line pics and it's quite a surprise when you open the package and see how small it it.

MD3
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-md3-wildcat-p-77.html#back_in_stock_notification_form

If you want a little more run time 1.25 hrs on high, you can opt for the MD4 with Wildcat head.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-md4-wildcat-p-70.html

DNA

Newly Enlightened
Working at an airport with lots of 747s and 777s, I'd say that something similar to a RC-N3 from shiningbeam.com is more than enough. Works with 2 AAs which are available no matter where you go and with a single CR123 if you feel the need to go compact.

Dan

Billy Ram

Enlightened
If I was a pilot I would want something small and powerful. The Quark 123 or Fenix PD20 would light up the tail section or anything else and would fit in the pocket. They are small enough to stay in the pocket and be ready when needed. The less a pilot has to keep up with the better.
Billy

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the SureFire LX2. It's about the same size as your A2, but with excellent throw and much improved runtimes.

I've got an LX2 and have tried it on Boeing walkarounds a few times. The light definitely has enough throw to spot frost or a missing static wick on the tail of the Triple but there is not much spill so I've retired the light to the glove box of my wife's car. It will run fine on RCR123 rechargeables, unlike many earlier Surefires.

If I was a pilot I would want something small and powerful. The Quark 123 or Fenix PD20 would light up the tail section or anything else and would fit in the pocket.

I agree, lately I've been carrying a Quark AA tactical with a 14500 lithium rechargeable. The 14500 battery allows the light to shine full brightness and if I leave the charger in a hotel room in KIX or PVG, I can always run the light on an AA battery from Lawson's for the rest of the trip. The Quark 123 is a real pocket rocket, tailstands in the non-tactical version and you can use it as a nightlight on those jetlagged hotel stays with mirror image rooms and hidden light switches. I was lucky enough to snag the titanium versions of the Q123 and QAA but the aluminum versions work equally well.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
In terms of performance, Surefire lights are simply behind the power curve these days. Their build quality is top notch, but they are overpriced, underpowered and underfeatured. I agree with the CPF'rs who have recommended Fenix and Quark torches. Take a look at their websights and Selfbuilt's reviews, and you will find the one that you've been looking for.

fyrstormer

Banned
I would want something with white and green emitters, if possible. Leaking fluids tend to stand out better in monochromatic light, at least based on my experience with automobiles. I don't know if anyone makes such a light, but I know there are people here who could mod one to do that for you if you wanted.

Not to mention, the green would be handy for looking for stuff in the cockpit without blinding your coworkers.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of performance, Surefire lights are simply behind the power curve these days. Their build quality is top notch, but they are overpriced, underpowered and underfeatured.

I agree. But, kinda like Breitling, they make a helluva catalog!;)

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendation would be the new EagleTac P20C2. High gets you 300 lumens and low setting is 5 lumens. Nice compact light and the price is pretty good too!

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
My recommendation would be the new EagleTac P20C2. High gets you 300 lumens and low setting is 5 lumens. Nice compact light and the price is pretty good too!

I love these lights too, but I bet the strobe will drive him nuts. Maybe a EagleTAC "100" series or a T10LC2 would suite him better. Great throw, simple UI. The T10LC2 is still one of my favorite lights. But, as you mentioned, I bet he would also like a light with a very low low setting. Neither of these lights have that.

wow400

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys!
That's a lotta help - much appreciated lovecpf

I don't really require a low power (would never really use it on the flight deck as we have enough available illumination there to sink a battleship!) or coloured (night/hydraulic) beam the main issues for me are not being too big (or delicate - it's got to be able to withstand a bit of being chucked in my flight bag & making it through the TSA!) and having a decent throw.

A bit of spill is fine but at the end of the day, I point the thing at what I'm checking & there is generally enough light from the airport lights to see where I'm walking.

I like the idea of the Surefire A2L - I just think it's a bit overpriced & I'd like to try another manufacturer.

I'll certainly look into the Quark & Fenix products....

Thanks again

Nic