Fenix PD10

daknarr

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received their new PD10 yet and if so, what are your first impressions?
I just got mine two days ago. I had a Fenix P1 which I loved, but dropped it doing a walk-around, and kaput. I love the light. I think it is an awesome replacement for the P1, but I'm having a small problem with it. I bought some rechargeable CR123Rs before the light came. Using the CR123Rs, the light only produces light in one mode (something in between the lowest and medium setting). I'm thinking perhaps, this light is NOT compatible with the higher output of the rechargeable batteries, but I'm not sure. I would love to hear another opinion on this, but it's all I can come up with. Aside from that, it works QUITE well with a normal CR123.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
long time listener,first time caller.:)

I am interested in pics of the new PD10.
Anyone know of pics besides the one on 7777's

How does the switch work? Is it a head or tail twisty?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
can we get some more info and possibly pictures/video? Im just waiting for some money and im making an order for one.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a lower low mode and a new look, I expected to see more people on here talking about the PD10... Does anyone else have any more info on them? Who has bought one and has had time to test it a little and form an opinion?

edc3

Enlightened
I was very excited about the PD10 when I first heard about it. I would have expected a lot of conversation about it too, but I think a lot of its thunder was stolen by the Quark MiNi 123. The are very similar lights with some subtle differences in specs and a fairly significant difference in price.

PD10 $54.95
Low: 6 lumens (64 hrs)
Mid: 95 lumens (3 hrs)
High 190 lumens (1 hr)

MiNi 123 $39
Low: 3 OTF lumens, 150 hours
Medium: 40 OTF lumens, 8 hours
High: 189 OTF lumens, 1.2 hours

If I could afford both I probably would buy both. But I could only choose one.

I'm still very interested in reading some reviews of the PD10 though.

:popcorn:

edc3

Enlightened
Yep, the price, slightly lower low and much longer runtime on medium did it for me. I'd still rather have both though.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are both lights twist activated? or does that other one use a button? One of the reasons i am getting the PD10 and not the PD20 is because i want 1 cell lights that are twist only, thus having a switching mechanism which is more resistant to wear than a click switch.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Beamshots, PD10 vs P1D vs Mini123 :huh:

Part of what made the old P1D so great was its well-balanced beam profile (same with the original Quark), hopefully the genes were passed on..

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have a very nice beam with no cree rings on mine and I like the first twist access to the 95 lumens this around the brightness I like to use for a keychain light, going from car to house. I really only use a low indoors around the house so I have not many uses for it on a keychain light.

Beam profile reminds me of the older P3D and P2D.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very excited about the PD10 when I first heard about it. I would have expected a lot of conversation about it too, but I think a lot of its thunder was stolen by the Quark MiNi 123. The are very similar lights with some subtle differences in specs and a fairly significant difference in price.

PD10 $54.95
Low: 6 lumens (64 hrs)
Mid: 95 lumens (3 hrs)
High 190 lumens (1 hr)

MiNi 123 $39
Low: 3 OTF lumens, 150 hours
Medium: 40 OTF lumens, 8 hours
High: 189 OTF lumens, 1.2 hours

If I could afford both I probably would buy both. But I could only choose one.

I'm still very interested in reading some reviews of the PD10 though.

:popcorn:

Originally I figured 3 lumens would be a good idea, however I personally use low power mode as a good indoor light. Too few lumens makes it even lower obviously good for reading to maximize runtime, but if you want to clearly see around you in the house you need the higher mode which drains more power.

I think the PD10 has it good, although this is theoretical. My light comes tomorrow hopefully, so then at night time I should know if this new low of 6 lumens is enough. My guess is that it is. I would certainly not want to "replace" 6 lumens with 3 lumens. Might be good as an additional mode, but not to replace the brighter mode. 64 hours of 1 cell is astounding compared to how its been for a long time.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine primarily outdoors to and from my car so the first mode of 95 lumens is about perfect. I will usually twist to low once I get inside the and go straight to what room I go to without turning on any inside lights. So in these instances the Mid-low twist is perfect.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
same as the P1D Q5, only this has a lower low. That is the key thing I am looking for in this new version. That and the new design.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I do like the ultra small 123A cell form factor, the thing that's stopping me from buying the Quark Mini is the complaints many people have about it being easily turned on in their pocket, they can't unscrew the head enough for pocket pressure not to activate the light, without the head becoming loose enough to fall off accidentally.

If we get some beamshots/reviews of the PD10 and it doesn't have this issue I'll happily add this little Fenix to my collection as a keychain light.