File Sync Software Reccomendations

MikeF

Enlightened
I have multiple hard drives that I use to insure multiple copies of images and videos are saved multiple places. In trying to make sure that the backups and primaries have all of the files I want to save there has been some differences that have developed. I used to have a program called XTree Gold for DOS that was perfect for comparing folders and bringing them into sync as well as many other file utilities. Unfortunately it was never written for Windows. Can anyone reccomend a free or cheap file utility? An example of the conflict is the folder and sub-folders of images that I have shot of breaking news scenes for our website. I have a 250GB portable drive I transfer the images to to back up the CF card from my Nikon and then trsnsfer those images to the 1.5TB system backup drive at home as well as a 320GB that I take to my Dad's house in case of fires etc.

The folder/subfolders that I want to match up show 3,960 images 79 folders on the 1.5TB drive, 3,954 images and 79 folder on the portabe drive and on 3,926 images and 79 folders on the 320GB drive. GRRR!

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allway Sync was the best one I found during a recent search and tests that I made.

Dropbox is another solution that is very slick, though probably not quite what you are seeking.

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
ViceVersa from TGRMN is pretty good, it does backups, compares, syncs etc. I used it for my business for about 3 years for backing up and syncing files across drives (locally and across the internet). I highly recommend it. - http://www.tgrmn.com/

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get SyncToy by Microsoft. You can schedule it using scheduled tasks to make it sync across as many machines and folders as you need. I use it all the time to sync my server and laptops all the time. It's pretty slick and uses VSS so it doesn't matter if the file's in use.

Whomprat

Newly Enlightened
I had to setup something for a remote site once a week. For some reason, the program we were using wouldn't save documents across the VPN, so I used a program called Second Copy. I saved everything to one local hard drive, and the program would sync to the server across the network every few seconds. It should work for hard drives/folders/etc as well. It lets you choose directions for syncing as well if you want to be able to protect against accidental deletion on the main drive.

whomprat

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allway Sync is free up to 40,000 files. Pretty generous, adequate for most unless you are syncing the linux kernel source.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Check out Toucan as well, I've just recently discovered it but it seems very configurable, and the price is right (free+opensource).