Flashlight for my grandfather

lundeholm

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for flashlight for my grandfather. He is 80 years old and might use it when walking the dog. He has HUGE hands so no tiny 1xAAA-lights. Also, no CR123/CR2/18650/14450/..., only standard AA/AAA batteries.

I've been looking at some 2xAA lights, I figure they should be big enough for his hands and provide long runtime. The Romisen RC-P3 is cheap and has a side clicky (big plus!). Fenix E20 also seems like a good alternative. The bad thing is that all the lights I've been looking at are throwers, I think he would prefer a floody light (he can't see very far anyway!).

The perfect light would be:

2xAA
Single mode
Floody
Side clicky
4 hours of runtime
$10-$35 (max $70)

Any ideas? :huh:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
fenix tk20 (with diffuser for flood and close range)

fenix e20 (it has the zoom feature so it should be able to be wide flood too)

led lenser/coast p5 (1aa) or p6 (2aa) (they too have zoom feature)

romisen rc-29 might be ok too. (again zoom)

how about a headlamp. to keep both hands free? well other hand is for the dog leash.

some of the lights do offer some nice wide spill beam too. i like my quarks because of that. there is bright spot but wide halo too. 4sevens quark tactical 2AA that you program for him.

none of these are sidecliky lights. (they are rather rare nowdays..) look at the maglites.. they come with leds too. maybe maglite 2c with led dropin?

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
How about any of the Streamlight Stinger Series? Nice size, side switching, and guilt-free lumens with a caveman simple recharging system? Kinda blows your budget though. Seem like they would be a good fit for the size requirement.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
If his hands are huge, you might consider C or D cell Duracell Daylites. It's a form factor he is most likely familiar with, they are very bright flooders, they are inexpensive, they are single mode, durable and they come with lifetime guarantees. Best of all, you can buy in many places, and if you (He) doesn't like it you can return them easily.

-Hitec-

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If his hands are huge, you might consider C or D cell Duracell Daylites. It's a form factor he is most likely familiar with, they are very bright flooders, they are inexpensive, they are single mode, durable and they come with lifetime guarantees. Best of all, you can buy in many places, and if you (He) doesn't like it you can return them easily.

-Hitec-

+1

I think he will appreciate the long run time and good heft to the light. Also it has a pretty good flood.

DNA

Newly Enlightened
Why not just grab a MagLight in the 2d form?

Otherwise, the RC-N3 at shining beam fits the ticket.

Dan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I was also going to suggest the RC-N3 from shiningbeam. The RC-P3 could be better though because of the side switch but shiningbeam will get to you quicker then Dealextreme. You might be able to make or get a diffuser or get a suitable optic if the light is too throwy.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Why not just grab a MagLight in the 2d form?

Otherwise, the RC-N3 at shining beam fits the ticket.

Dan

*Sotto voce* I can't believe I'm saying this . . .
*Normal voce* I agree. Make sure to get one of those nifty new Rebel mags, though. I think they're selling them at Costco now for the same price as at the hardware stores. Getting it at Costco, though, gets you a free multimode Mini Mag with holster.