T-bird mail problem HELP

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got this configured and it works fine at home. Took the netbook to a buddy's place cross town and it does not connect. It gives me a SMPT error message about not accepting connections. Ironically, it will retrieve messages but sending is :(

I have the outgoing server set to my mail client so it is pop.----.net. Any idea what I have set incorrectly?

K A

Enlightened
First off the sending server is usually set as SMTP.whateverthenameis.net. POP is for retrieval while SMTP is for sending.

2nd question: You are connecting via wireless I assume? Do both of you use the same internet provider?

What I assume is happening is your buddy uses a different internet provider than you do at home. Most ISP's will let you retrieve your email from anywhere, but they will not let you send your email if you are connecting from a different ISP. ISP's do this to cut down on SPAM being sent through their servers from people not on their network.

If this is not the case then I am not certain what is going on.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
K A I bet you're right as I have run into this before. Gotta stick with web mail when travellin. I think every ISP offers a web mail client.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys...oh well web mail it is.

One of our travel mates has a yahoo mail account and he was laughing at us. :( But he receives boat loads of spam. ;)