Suggestions for a pocket light with "throw"

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a Nitecore D10 as an EDC. Now I'm looking for a light with some throw - more for outdoor use but suitable for indoor use as well. I'm looking for at least 200 lumens. It needs to be compact enough to fit in a pocket, and I want it to be tough. I like the SF LX2 LumaMax and am leaning in that direction. I've also looked at the Nitecore D20 which says it's rated at 200 lumens, but I don't know. My D10 is rated at 145 lumens but to my layman's eyes I don't think it's that bright...Has anyone compared the SF LX2 and the Nitecore D20? Are there any other options that I should consider before pulling the trigger on either one?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a light thats 145 lumens and you don't think it's bright enough you'd need at least 300 to notice a difference a difference in the real world, 145 to 200 you'd hardly notice a difference. Any aspheric should do, maybe a Romisen RC-29.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ultimate path to throw is usually aspheric.

the RC-C6 from Romisen is a pretty good thrower, and its built pretty well.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-181/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C6-II/Detail

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26792

i did a short review here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3144940&postcount=177

It isnt 200 lumens, but i can tell you, its pretty bright, and it is currently my strongest single cell thrower. For indoor use, it is also focusable.

You may also look at offerings from Led Lenser. While thier lineup isnt exactly known for its advanced circuitry, their Optics system is some of the best, and offers excellent throw

I will do a comparison to the D10 tonight, if I have the time..:)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
The point of my comment about the 145 lumens is that I'm not sure that the light is actually producing 145 lumens...when comparing it next to my 80 lumen (INCANDESCENT)SF E2D the SF looked brighter, therefore I question whether my Nitecore is actually producing the 145 lumens as advertised. I like the Nitecore and I'm glad I picked it up. However I'm looking for something with more throw.

I'll research Romisen. How are they when it comes to durability and toughness?

Crenshaw - You mention that the RC C-6 is the best thrower that you own. Have you compared it to a SF LX2?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro v3.0.

With 14500, it's about as good a throw as my Surefire E2DL, if not better.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
You'll be hard pressed to find something to compare with the LX2 because SureFire is notorious for underrating their lights and because they have top notch optics that do an excellent job of focusing the beam.

Also you will need to bear in mind that it is difficult to compare lumen ratings using just our eyes. Our eyes respond to lumen differences in a non-linear fashion. To add to that, a more focused beam i.e. with a more intense hotspot will look brighter than a higher lumen output light but with a less focused beam i.e. less intense hotspot. That is just how our eyes work.

The NiteCore SR3 is supposed to have really good throw for a 1xCR123 light. For a 1xAA, the JetBeam Jet-I PRO mentioned earlier is good.

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
Zeruel - thanks for the suggestion. In terms of quality how would you rate your E2DL compared to the Jet-1 Pro v 3.0. If you had to choose one or the other which would you choose?

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
RC-C6 II WW (shiningbeam) is an absolute delight. I wish it had a much lower low, it's really too bright for most purposes. The variable beam is great. I almost always carry it set on wide (the shortest configuration). It's is the most useful pocket light I've ever had and by far the brightest. (But then, I've been carrying an Arc LS-L most of the time, so I've skipped quite a few generations of increasingly brighter lights; then again, I've been using the Arc all this time without the slightest worry or problem; time will tell on the RC-C6).

I could get something I'd like better (smaller, true low level) but not inexpensively. And this is my replacement for the RC-N3 II that I owned for about half an hour before my wife asked for it. That's nice too, brighter, longer throw, but I really like the adjustable better.

Sssshhhhh ....

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you dig Nitecore's quality, you could check out SR3 as Deranged has recommended. If I remember Selfbuilt's review correctly, I think it's the best thrower in the 1x123 category.

In terms of quality, both Surefire and Jetbeam are indisputable. I wouldn't say I would pick one over the other as both are of different categories. I like both apples and oranges. :)

dudu84

Enlightened
I'd suggest the coming Jetbeam RRT-0.
Looks excellent, compact and optimized for throw. Rated over 200 lumens (LED lumens probably)

Last edited:

Junior Light Boy

Newly Enlightened
So how do the Jetbeam, Romisen, and Nitecore compare to Surefire in quality. I've owned the Nitecore D10 for only a few weeks so I can't speak to how rugged it is yet. I own two Surefires and they keep tickin. Do the other brands have a similar reputation?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how do the Jetbeam, Romisen, and Nitecore compare to Surefire in quality. I've owned the Nitecore D10 for only a few weeks so I can't speak to how rugged it is yet. I own two Surefires and they keep tickin. Do the other brands have a similar reputation?

well that is a can of worms if there ever was one....:p

Without making any comparisons to surefire, i will just state that they are of sufficient quality to survive most things you can throw at it. Romisen is consistently named as the best quality out of all the "budget" lights.

Crenshaw

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Er, brand vs brand is NOT something you want to discuss here if you want your thread to remain opened. Such discussion can go out of hand quickly because there are fans for each brand.

On my end, yes, brands like Nitecore and Jetbeam are rugged too. Well, I've not abuse my Romisen.....yet. :rolleyes:

deranged_coder

Enlightened

Ouch, be careful asking for brand comparisons like that. Threads have been known to degenerate into flames and get locked because of it.

I will state that I own JetBeam, NiteCore and Surefire lights. Matter of fact, I have several of each brand. All have been EDC'd by me at some point. None of them were ever babied. They have been tossed around in backpacks, kept in pockets with keys, coins and other objects, been dropped onto concrete floors, etc. They are all still producing light several years after I first acquired them.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Well, how big are your pockets?

In all seriousness, what size range counts as "pocket light" for you? Some would say 1xAAA, others 1xAA... some 1x16340... and even others might say 2xAA! How big are you willing to go to get throw?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What battery are you running the D10 on? Yes, battery choice can have a very big impact on output.

That being said, a light with a lens would throw further then a reflector based light. The RC-C6 II could be a good choice to start off on.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The D10 is a great light but it's not a thrower.

If you want to stay in the Nitecore family, the D20 isn't the way to go: it's a very nice light and lot brighter but the beam is more floody. Instead, go for the Nitecore Extreme: tiny, pocketable, and won't disappoint in the throw stakes. It's probably my favourite pocket-sized outdoor light at the moment.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just noticed goinggear.com has rominsen and they do have the q35a version of the rc-29(aspher AA). dont forget the coupon code.