Any RV Camping Enthusiasts?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone here do any RV Camping or extended cross country RV exploring?
I've always wanted to drive across country and check out the states and do some camping along the way and may have the chance in the next year. I have been without a drivers license for 8+ years due to me making some poor decisions in my past and loosing it. I got used to the lifestyle of not having it and depending on it and have been able to make a LOT of positive life changes. I am currently taking steps to get my driver license back in the coming months and have the oportunity to do some traveling and finding a new location to live.
I enjoyed my time in Colorado and it felt like home and where I should be. Driving there and living out of an RV for a few months until I find a good place to live is one option I'm considering.

Earlier tonight I was offered a 1969 Mercedes Benz RV for free from a friend and might take him up on the offer. It has a clear title but no keys..:ohgeez:
Overall it needs a LOT of work but is very solid. Nothing that is beyond what either myself, brother or my father could fix, but finding parts is gonna be a *****. My father is a mechanic and I may have to swap the original engine/trans for a GM crate moter and have my Dad build a trans for it. Supposedly it runs and drives (100,000 miles) but there are wiring problems that need to be fixed before this could happen, thus just dropping in a new drivetrain to aviod any problems and costly repairs while on the road.
If I decide to take on this project, the entire interior will be striped and made to my liking. The inside is Trashed! Not beyond repair, but I figure if I'm gonna fix it up I might as well make it the way I want it. There is plenty of room to put any belongings I'd want with me on the road and space for my mountain bike. I will be traveling alone so all the space will be mine.
One thing I see being a problem is the fiberglass topper that is supposed to "pop-up". I only spent about an hour late tonight checking it out, so I may change my mind when I see it tomorrow in the sunlight.
I did use my Surefire Minimus headlamp and Nitecore EX10 modded with a Q3-5A to inspect it tonight!:crackup:

Does anyone have any "Words of Wisdom" for the person on the move?

Has anyone here ever restored or updated a Camper RV?

I'm thinking that after I finish the body work, painting it flat black with some 22" rims..:cool:...ok, I'm kidding about the rims:crackup:

Heres the Beast!:duh2:

019-18.jpg

005-49.jpg

020-17.jpg

010-32.jpg

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
That's a pretty serious project. I'd make some good cost estimates then see about maybe getting a different used RV for that price.

If you go for the restoration getting the engine / drivetrain / brakes to be reliable is the biggest deal. Especially of you're heading over the continental divide. Decades newer RVs with 1/4 the mileage often have trouble with that trip.

Other than that find a REALLY comfortable drivers seat. :twothumbs

InTheDark

Enlightened
A lot of car guys will tell you, a free car is the most expensive vehicle there is. And that vehicle looks like it's free for a reason.

But, If you've got the time and money to do all the work yourself, this is a great opportunity. Most people could only dream about doing something like this. At least in case there's a problem you'll be able to fix it on the road. Just be sure you know what you're getting into. However much time and money you estimate it will cost to fix, double or triple it and you'll be in the right ballpark

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm Yeah....I went and looked at in today when it was light out and NO WAY am I getting involved in that!!

Found much better options out there that will require MUCH less work, time, & money.

The hunt continues...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm Yeah....I went and looked at in today when it was light out and NO WAY am I getting involved in that!!

Found much better options out there that will require MUCH less work, time, & money.

The hunt continues...

A good call but the mercedes logo on the front grill looks like it might be saved.

Check craig's list in retirement towns...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a camping enthusiast, but I did live in a 25ft Fifth Wheel trailer for almost 10 years. Spending any significant amount of time living in one does take some adjusting. Minimal storage and room to move around inside are the biggest changes. Not too bad if you're a single guy like me. But when there's two or more people living in one for a long time, you start tripping over each other and you can start getting on each other's nerves.

One of the real benefits is the people you meet. Most of the RV crowd are very nice and friendly, especially the full timers. You'll meet people from all over and all different walks of life. In most areas of society, there's a certain amount of self-segregation that occurs between people of different incomes and lifestyles. But in RVing, everybody seems to overlook those differences and enjoy the RV lifestyle. You do get the occassional snob looking down on anybody that's not in a $300K motor home, or maybe a shady guy drifting through the area doing odd jobs, but they are the rarities. Most times, the retired guy with the $300K motor home is probably sitting next to the fire some tent camper has set up while the tent camper's kids are inside the RV watching TV. It's hard to explain, but there's a sense of instant comraderie that seems to go along with RVing.

Rexlion

Enlightened
A tow vehicle with trailer has been my choice. I keep the drivetrain separate from the living quarters, so I can easily trade one without messing with the other. Currently towing a 1993 Burro 17' (fiberglass egg) with my '08 Highlander.

That said, you could always start out with a used van and set up the back end with a bed, propane camp stove, portapotti, curtains, etc. It's crowded, but a stealth setup like that doesn't look like an RV and you can "boondock" (park it) in so many places for sleeping (it just looks like a parked van). It's more economical to operate than most "real" RVs and you won't have much $ invested into it, either.

gorn

Enlightened
I've made many trips across the U.S. in RV's over the years. It sure is a lot better now days than in the 60's. I recently sold my 34' class A motor home. My wife's health has curtailed our traveling around like that.

One thing that is real important in my opinion is don't over do each day's drive. You want to take your time and enjoy the trip, you can't do that if you are trying to go too far each day. Six to Eight hours per day maximum is not too bad. There is so much to see on a trip like that it would be a shame not to do it right. Make sure you keep and eye on your fuel. Not so much now, but in the past if you were driving in the south west U.S. finding fuel could be a problem. I made one trip where the RV was getting 3 mpg and when there is over 150 to 200 miles between stations that can be a tad stressful.

Get a mapping program like MS Streets and Trips or Delorme's Street Atlas. With that you can plan out a route using the drive time to see where you will end up in your allotted time each day. That way you can check for RV parks or Government camp grounds to stay at and adjust your drive as needed.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camper here too. I have a '09 Kodiak 195 hybrid. If you really want to get in trouble go to here. I am considering building one as a "day camper" if you will, instead of pulling the beast around all the time...