EO1 LED change out possible?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten interested in the Fenix EO1 but would really like it if the beam color was pure white. Has anyone here replaced the 5mm LED with one that is of equal brightness and with a nice white color, or do all 5mm LED's have the purple tint to them?

I don't mind modding one out, I would just like to know first if it's possible, and where I might find the replacement LED. I've heard of members talking about "snow whites". Is this what I would need?

If nice white 5mm LED's are available, I wonder why Fenix doesn't upgrade their EO1 with these. Surely the cost would not be much?

Thanks...

C.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
For the small cost of the EO1 it may be worth a shot to try however I do not believe it be possible using the existing circuit. From what I remember it has been done however the potting inside the head is hard to remove without destroying the circuit.

I also remember reading that there were a few early models that were not potted and easier to mod however I am not exactly sure if I remember that correctly. If there were a few un-potted units maybe you can find an older one for sale.

If you are going to attempt it there are several good choices in 5mm LEDs. I always did like the "snow" versions and I believe Peak still uses them in some of their lights so that would be a good choice. It is a nice white tint and has no blotches in the beam. I also always liked the MJ LED and a search will get you much information on that version.

I found two links that may help you with one showing the destruction of the EO1 circuit during a mod....however it turned out to be a slick little mod none the less. The other is a little info on the MJ LED which is an old favorite of mine however there are several more modern choices in 5 mm....good luck.

I found a better link with more detailed photos about half way down on the first page.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197045

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232206

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100958

Last edited:

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Robocop:

Refering to the "better link with photos", I would not mind swapping out the LED, but it's evidently more complicated than just sticking another one in it's place. It looks like I need to find someone knowledgable enough to know exactly what LED to use without having to change other components on the circuit board. Sure would be nice if Fenix would have a run of them made with a pure white LED.

Maybe someone reading this post will have the understanding of what LED is needed for what I'm trying to do and jump in!

Thanks again...

Connortn

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia GS is really in a league of it's own as far as 5mm LED's go, you're not going to be able to find a nice tinted 5mm as bright as the GS being driven at the same level. Those Cree 5mm "snow" LED's are half as bright as the GS.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
So, are there no pure white Nichia GS LED's made?

I notice that my Freedom Photon also has a purplish tint. Is it also a Nichia GS?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So, are there no pure white Nichia GS LED's made?

I notice that my Freedom Photon also has a purplish tint. Is it also a Nichia GS?

nope, nichias 5mm LEDs are not going to be anywhere near close to *pure* white. you will probably just have to spend a little more and get a maratac or ITP with a cree (non 5mm) led in it and be done with it.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Photon Rex's tint is pretty good, it uses the GS, but I have no idea how Nichia ranks it's tints.

The iTP is way overrated IMHO, in reality, it cannot match the E01's runtime.

Last edited:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Yes I changed mine out. Only tools I used a soldering iron and a hair dyer for heat. To bad I cant find it now.
DSCF0001.JPG