2D mag to 3C possible?

rumplestiltskin

Newly Enlightened
Hi to everyone on the forum. I am a brand new poster but have been reading the forums for a while now. Still trying to get to grips with the knowledge and torch lingo but im starting to get there (slowly lol)
I have a question, and forgive me if it is ridiculous, but could i use 3 'C' cells in my 2D maglite to make the terralux TLE-6EXB dropin I have installed any brighter?
I know I run the risk of exposing myself as an ignoramus but I thought I would ask, as you guys are the ones who will know. Thanks in advance for your help and just wanna say its been a pleasure reading the knowledge contained on this forum. Cheers fellas.
Rumplestiltskin.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome rumplestiltskin-:welcome:

Yes there is a lot to learn here but keep reading and you will get the hang of it.

Yes you can use 3C in a 2D.Remove the spring from the tail and then remove the anodizing from the bottom of the tail(by grinding it with a Dremel tool or using Lye) so the batteries can make electrical contact.The last time I did this I simply used a wad of aluminum foil in the tail to make contact with the batteries.

You will also need to build a holder so the smaller C batteries don't rattle around inside the light.For the time being just roll up a magazine to hold the batteries.

As far as 3C's improving the performance of the Terralux I have no experience with that dropin.Maybe some who does will come along.

rumplestiltskin

Newly Enlightened
Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply Andreas Ferrari, I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm gonna get grinding then!
Has anyone else tried this specific mod before with the terralux? I may have to be a trailblazer if not lol. Do I get to name it if so?:crackup: :naughty:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the OP was asking if the TLE-6EXB would run brighter on three cells than on two.

I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer. Some circuits are designed to regulate different output levels based on the input voltage, but I don't know if that's true of that particular TerraLux drop-in.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
TLE-6EXB is for 2-3 cells, so 3 cells will be brighter than 2.
Most of the current limiting IC isn't perfect, within the allowed voltage range,
the upper end of the voltage almost always deliver higher current to LED.

rumplestiltskin

Newly Enlightened
Thankyou very much for your replies Gstwitter and Ma sha1, i think I am definatley gonna give it a go and see what happens. Thanks again everyone who replied to my question.
Rumplestiltskin.