AA light as gift to non-flashaholic

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a AA light for my friend for Christmas. He's likes camping/hiking and this summer will be going to Africa for several weeks for a mission trip. Looking for something in the $25 or less range. I think the LumaPower LumaCraft F1 w/ Seoul SSC P4 would be a good choice at $25.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapowerf1.html

Anyone have any better ideas? I've also checked out the DX roundup but can't narrow it down any more...

Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd go for the Romisen RC-N3 warm white from shiningbeam. 2 AAs give more runtime and neutral white gives better color rendering then cool white. coupon is "CPFuser".

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumapower doesn't look bad, but I think you could do better for 25 bucks. If you want to stick with a 1xaa light, maybe the romisen rc-g2 or rc-29. If you think he might like a 2xAA light the rc-n3 2 mode or warm white are both good. All are under 25 bucks at shiningbeam. Those seem like the best options for your price range.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the newest (4th generation) Inova X1. I bought one for about $21 at Target.

Be sure to select the one with the "25 lumens" marked on front of the package. The reflector has an orange peel finish versus the smooth reflectors used in previous versions.

This new version Inova X1 is rugged, simple to operate, and will throw a beam a decent distance for 3 hours or more, depending on the type of AA battery. Made in USA with a lifetime warranty.

Illum

Flashaholic
Life Gear 1AA
It's fairly well built for $20, available at target. other than the junk smooth reflector everything else is likable:)

brted

Enlightened
As much as everyone likes the iTP A3 EOS for a single AAA (I have one, it's great), the upcoming A2 EOS with a single AA could be a really good light. It is a twisty with med-low-high. It's not available yet, but you should be able to get reviews pretty soon.

madmook

Newly Enlightened
^ FYI, the released specs for the A2 EOS says it will use a L-M-H sequence, rather than the M-L-H of the upgraded A3 EOS.

Dunno how non-flashaholics will take to a multi-mode twisty light...

Rexlion

Enlightened
Another candidate: the Akoray K-106 is a good value for the dollar, and in your price range.

Actually for a non-flashaholic, I think they may appreciate a side switch more than a tailswitch because it's what they are used to. DX carries the Romisen RC-P3 side switch model; a nice light, I bought one and gave it to my elderly mother.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as everyone likes the iTP A3 EOS for a single AAA (I have one, it's great), the upcoming A2 EOS with a single AA could be a really good light. It is a twisty with med-low-high. It's not available yet, but you should be able to get reviews pretty soon.

Wow, I dont know how I missed this one, it looks awesome! I feel like this may sort of fill the niche of the AA E01 so many of us has wanted. A very low low, AA powered, and reasonably priced. Awesome!

Oh yeah, I love the L-M-H, that was one of my only complaints about the A3

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the Romisen RC-N3 warm white from shiningbeam. 2 AAs give more runtime and neutral white gives better color rendering then cool white. coupon is "CPFuser".

+1 on this light, i own one and its really nice. However, if your friend is heading up to Africa for several weeks, you may wish to consider the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 instead of the warm white because of it's 2 modes. The warm white is a great light but only has 1 mode.

The Romisen RC N3 II Q5 has 2 modes, you pick which mode you want using the forward clicky (1/2 press) then fully click in for constant on.

If you'd like to see a comparison of the tints between the 2 RC N3s, i did a decidedly amateurish comparison here.

Mikellen

Enlightened
This thread is kinda old but this is a good thread to post my question.

I'd like to give my uncle a single AA flashlight. He's not the kinda guy who will deal with Nimh or lithium primaries so alkalines are what he would use.
When I last visited him he generally seemed interested in the Fenix L1D that I had.

Would a Fenix L1D be o.k to use alkalines with? I know the risks of leaking but is the output of the high mode of the L1D low enough that alkalines would be able to power it sufficiently? I think the high mode is about 90 lumens.

Thanks for any information and other flashlight suggestions.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Fenix AA lights are designed to work with alkalines.
(One reason the Fenix TK40 uses 8 AA instead of 4 AA)

Consider the Fenix Fenix L1T V2.0 with just high and low, no blinky modes.
The L1D has been replaced by the LD10.
The Fenix LD10+ Q5 are on sale because the newer Fenix LD10+ R4 is out.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
After my "apparently some people are not flashaholics thread", I am just going to pop in on every gift idea thread and give my PSA to gifters:

PSA: GIVE THEM SOME BATTERIES WITH THE LIGHT OR IT MAY NOT BE USED.

:rolleyes:

I need a smiley that says that.... :duh2:

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
+1 nbp, always include batteries.

It keeps them from ending up like this after the first week of playing with their new toy... :candle:

:crackup:

Latest posts