New Semi Used Toy lacking lumens gets saved by VME Head with Malkof M60!

ionizedsky

Enlightened
So I had just finished doing a little CCW Target practice on the paper zombies with a friend. After seeing my friend off, I loaded up my gear and decided to go back inside do a little window shopping (never good on my pocketbook). I came across this poor little guy in window just begging me to take him home.

I had never played with a scout light before and after I put some fresh SF123s in I was rather disappointed with what surefire is charging so much for with such low lumens and letting our boys and girls go into battle with:tsk: (then again I might just be a spoiled CPF memeber lovecpf).
So I borrowed my VME head with a Malkoff M60 from my Vital Gear FB2 in it and voila!

I must say that this is a huge improvement when doing some room clearing exercises with.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
sweet! now up grade again to the m60 flood =]

I have the M60F already, but this has 18inch heavy barrel, and I plan on putting I think a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leupold Mark 4 1-3x14mm CQ/T[/FONT] so it will be more of CQB to medium range rifle. So the M60 is better suited for now...:naughty:

Isn't that the previous generation Scout Light?

Not sure, how would I tell? It is mostly floody and would appear to the eye to be a little less bright than my X200B.

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
how well do the malkoff drop-ins hold up against the recoil? i was under the impression that LED weaponlights had to be potted...

ionizedsky

Enlightened
how well do the malkoff drop-ins hold up against the recoil? i was under the impression that LED weaponlights had to be potted...

Well from what I have seen of the Malkoff devices product line (M60, M60F, VME Head, MD4 Wildcat) are of the finest quality, I would hold the quality, construction, customer service, and guarantee as one the finest out there. Gene Malkoff backs his products a 100%, he and his wife are pleasure to deal with. As far the M60 I am using in my AR-15 it has no signs of any wear, ran the whole time while I fired a about 70 rounds down range for about and hour, there was no fluctuation during recoil or anytime while shooting. As far the last question I am not sure what potting is.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Potting is filling the module with epoxy after it's built.

Malkoff modules are in fact potted, and IIRC Front Sight uses Malkoff modules on their own guns.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Someday I would like to see a weapon light designed as a remote-head unit. Keep the battery compartment toward the rear to keep the front-end mass down, and have an umbilical with the light engine inside that mounts as far forward on the barrel as possible. That way you don't get the annoying shadow on the opposite side of the firearm like most weapon lights. This would also work well as a headlamp (battery compartment in the rear, offsets the light engine mass up front) and could probably share parts.

supes

Enlightened
You've got the old M600A, the newer M600C with KX2C head(in the hands of a lot of troops) can definitely keep up with a M60.

gallonoffuel, I find mounting the light on the 12 or 1 o'clock puts the shadow on the bottom rather then side, which seems better to me.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
You've got the old M600A, the newer M600C with KX2C head(in the hands of a lot of troops) can definitely keep up with a M60.

gallonoffuel, I find mounting the light on the 12 or 1 o'clock puts the shadow on the bottom rather then side, which seems better to me.

Ah well that makes me feel better about our men and women serving. On the shadow note, I also noticed when doing some CQB room clearing drills, I noticedthe shadow effect cause of the 9 oclock position, I tryed the 6 oclock and find that more pleaseing for natural point of aim.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, if I have a pressure switch the 6 position is great but if I have to go without the pressure switch then I stick to the 9 position because for me it's a bit easier/quicker to activate.
:thumbsup:

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened

do you use a full size weaponlight or a peq15 at your 12? you would need a pretty high mount for your optics to see over a surefire...esp if you have a turbohead