Men who Stare at Goats

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to see it, as someone wrote on the youtube trailer, hard to go wrong with that cast...

Crenshaw

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Looks like a pretty funny movie. Isn't that one of those fainting goats though? What a horrible trait....going limp and falling over when in danger....

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't heard much about this show yet. Just from the title, it sounds like the sequel to "Brokeback Mountain". I sure hope not.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Men Who Stare at Goats is a 2009 comedy film by director Grant Heslov released in theaters on November 6, 2009. It is based on the book of the same title by author Jon Ronson, an account of Ronson's investigation of attempts by US military forces to use psychic powers

It looks hilarious, and aparently it actually IS based on fact..

Crenshaw

Light Sabre

Enlightened
"...an account of Ronson's investigation of attempts by US military forces to use psychic powers "

Reminds me of Project Stargate and their use of remote viewing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I want to see it, as someone wrote on the youtube trailer, hard to go wrong with that cast...

Crenshaw

You might be surprised.

A few of my buddies went to see it. (I had to work that night).
They told me I was lucky. Despite the great cast, all three were disappointed by what they unanimously called "an extreme lack of funny."

One friend has a habit of literally falling asleep while watching bad movies. Yup, you guessed it; he fell asleep. I think I'll wait until it's on Pay-Per-View, and then check it out for half the price.

(If it turns out to be as bad as they say it is, I can always change the channel).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The movie was based on an old British Channel 4 documentary called:
The Crazy Rulers Of The World - The Men Who Stare At Goats.
(was going to link but Utube had removed the videos.)
The reporter Jon Ronson also wrote a book.

The original doc was about some US military experiments on using paranormal and psychic training/activity to defeat the enemy.
From a General who tried to walk through walls to a sergeant who was supposed to kill a goat by staring at it.
The unit that conducted the tests, was known as The First Earth Battalion.

EDIT
If you go to Utube search for "The Men Who Stare At Goats" then sort by OLDEST there are still some interviews with Jon Ronson (audio only) plus bits and pieces of the doc.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be surprised.

A few of my buddies went to see it. (I had to work that night).
They told me I was lucky. Despite the great cast, all three were disappointed by what they unanimously called "an extreme lack of funny."

One friend has a habit of literally falling asleep while watching bad movies. Yup, you guessed it; he fell asleep. I think I'll wait until it's on Pay-Per-View, and then check it out for half the price.

(If it turns out to be as bad as they say it is, I can always change the channel).

ouch, well i guess hard to go wrong doesnt always mean cant go wrong.

Quick question, did your friends find Public Enemies, or Burn after reading bad?

Crenshaw

Greta

Flashaholic
I thought the movie was hilarious... mostly because more than most could ever even imagine has some basis of truth. I guess if you know what the reality is/was, the way it was "twisted" and portrayed in this movie is what makes it so funny. My guess is the only people who will find it funny are those who have "been there, done that". My husband was laughing his *** off... :laughing:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quick question, did your friends find Public Enemies, or Burn after reading bad?

Crenshaw

Ironically, my friends are far more forgiving and easy going on films than I am. I'll see a trailer, get an idea in my head regarding what I believe will unfold in the film; and then it often turns out that my idea is far better than what the writers of the film came up with.

There are some seriously over-paid, talentless, no imagination, individuals living in Hollywood.