Why is the LX2 $50 more than E2D LED Defender?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Why is the Surefire LX2 ($195) $46 more than Surefire E2D LED Defender ($149)? Both are 200 Lumens, LED, same alloy, 5.4 inches long, with the LX2 slightly heavier, where's the $46 extra come in for the LX2?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered an E2D defender today for $116.95 because I need the click on feature for vehicle stops my LX2 does not have. We'll see. My LX2 has a very broad beam, and is excellent for illuminating the interior of vehicles - hope I don't lose that.
Thanks!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL has a slightly smaller hotspot.

Check out my beamshots.

The E2DL is a great light, and still one of my favorites :thumbsup:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer LX2 body design, but I do prefer E2DL Defender tailclikie.

I think... the perfect light, for me, would be LX2 body with E2DL UI and tailclickie.

:party:

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots, I'll be perfectly happy with the E2D Def.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer LX2 body design, but I do prefer E2DL Defender tailclikie.

I think... the perfect light, for me, would be LX2 body with E2DL UI and tailclickie.

+1

That made the LX2 from "I must get it now!" to "Erm... only when I have the money to spare". :shrug:

edek130

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered an E2D defender today for $116.95 because I need the click on feature for vehicle stops my LX2 does not have. We'll see. My LX2 has a very broad beam, and is excellent for illuminating the interior of vehicles - hope I don't lose that.
Thanks!
May I ask where did you order the E2DL? I'm looking for a relatively cheap find myself. Thanks, Edek

sfca

Enlightened

Hey I got an idea. How about a black LX2 which we can then swap out use with the E2DL head and tail-switch?

I assume that will work - but side-by-side pictures the bodies are different lengths. I have to get back to studying so I'm not going to research any further!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I got an idea. How about a black LX2 which we can then swap out use with the E2DL head and tail-switch?

I assume that will work - but side-by-side pictures the bodies are different lengths. I have to get back to studying so I'm not going to research any further!
The LX2 and E2DL heads are interchangeable.

The LX2 head will work fine on an E2DL body, but will be single stage (high) only.

The E2DL head will be a little wonky with the LX2 switch.

sfca

Enlightened
If I'm correct an E2DL with an LX2 body will be deeeep-pocket carry.
The 2-way clip would be just under the scalloped part of the E2DL tailcap.

grump

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

Is that price for the new 200 lumens version?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Well, last night, some weeks after asking this question as the OP, I picked up the E2D LED Defender after by chance walking past a store with a banner that said, "Surefire Dealer."

At first use of the Defender, it is clear that the LX2 is just a nicer light in terms of feel and finish and the price diff is accounted for in my mind anyway. In fact, if I didn't need the "clickie" feature of the Defender for traffic stops, the LX2 would be my only light. Both Surefire's are superior at car illumination than my larger duty lights because of their broader beams although lumens are all in the same ball park.

Well, it's gotten a little out of hand. Now with an LX2, 2 Defenders (one of the 2 still on order), a Polystinger (being repaired), and a Pelican 7060 I am definitely done with lights unless the technology shifts dramatically.