Alternatives to Jet-III Pro ST

dangerous

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've read more on flashlights in the last few weeks than in my whole life. I didn't even know I was into flashlights, I just like shiny gadgets, but I think I certainly have the potential to be a flashaholic :O

I found candlepower looking for a torch to replace my feeble Maglite Solitaire. I bought a nitecore EZ-AAw (i.e. neutral / Q3 5a (or b not sure)). Anyway, I love this light!!!

My other torch is an LED Lenser P7. The build quality is awesome, the light ... well I prefer the EZ AA. The LED Lenser was a gift.

I would like a bigger torch (the size of the P7 or larger) that meets the following conditions:

Low mode around the 10 lumen mark ... the nitecore EZ AA does a good job
A bright mode brighter than both my P7 and EZ AA
A mode in between would be nice.
A nice neutral tint like the EZ AAw
Much higher capacity / runtime than the EZ AA, and larger so it's comfortable in my fairly large hands
Decent build quality
Regulated would be nice (this means that as batteries go down light stays just as bright until it runs out, right?)
Tailstanding would also be a bonus - I have found this a very nice feature with the EZ AA

In terms of spot / flood ... well I live in the city / inner suburbs ... the times I use my torch are: a) baby's woken up and I need to go warm up some milk without waking anyone ... b) going out to the garden at night to get some herbs for the garden ... c) looking for stuff in my shed ... d) matching socks ... etc

With that in mind, I don't need an amazingly throwy light, and something that is more floody would probably suit my needs better. While I like the idea of having the Li-ion 18650 etc. (just cos I have never seen these batteries before and it's the gadget freak in me) I do appreciate the convenience of AAs and have plenty of AA eneloops around the place.

So ... is there anything else I should be looking at besides the Jet-III Pro ST?

Thanks in advance.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Shiningbeam L-mini2. 3 modes. low-med-high. (turbo head available for tighter beam and longer throw) with regualr head i thinks it gives you enough of both. available with warm tint. recessed tailbutton so tailstands. runs on 18650s. remove the bezel and you get a total flood light (as the led is mounted such a way that it allows this. its bare emitter and easy to break /scratch but i use it as flooder alot with due care.)

the demand of these lmini2s has been bigger than than supply.. bunch of them arrive to shiningbeams website and get sold out within days. they might be sold out as we speak.. (very likely they are) when they come to stock get one. its great bang for buck at around 45$.

i got one. its my bigger edc light when i know i need hours of light.. (then while back i bought second one as spare as i liked the 1st so much)

its one of the smallest and slimmest 18650 lights along with jetbeam st and lumapower encore.

the lowest output really is not that dim as you can program jetbeam to go. so for real dim light for looking at kids or midnight wandering you might need something that has lower low and is of smaller fysical size.

i like the lmini2 as its convinient to carry and hold for extended times as its big enough.. but as "in the house after dark" i would suggest something very small and lightweight that has a true low-low.

47s quark, nitecore d10, jetbeam pro1, to name a few in AA cathegory that might fill nicely in the "geeky" vibe.. d10: the pd system ramp up/down, quark tactical progammable 2 modes and moon.mode as option, and jetbeam with 3 progammable modes and available with warm tint.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking hard about the Jet-III ST also, but the one thing holding me back is the lack of a clip.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I Have been using a Jetbeam III PRO ST BVC for about 3.5 weeks now. It is a really nice light. Has nice throw for a light it's size. The spill is pretty much no were near as wide as I would have thought.

In the wee hours when I have to get up I use a Novatac 85P set on the lowest setting and it works great for navigating a dark house, not disturbing anyone fantastic spill.

The JB PRO ST on the other hand can't go as low and has very little spill. Sad, because this could have been a great bed side light, so now I EDC it during the day and at work. It is pretty long so with it in your pocket you definetly know you are carrying a light. It tail stands great for illuminating an entire room which is a plus, So does the 85P.

The light seems to really "shine" as an outdoor light:D Has great throw, uses 18650's RCR's and primaries. That is why I like it. The UI is not that great IMO, easily able to get into the setting menu I think it should have a better entry procedure. But, it is easy to get back to where you were.

One thing I also don't care for is the Knurling, just not aggressive enough almost slick. All in all it's a good light I'll use the heck out of it. Just not the ONE, I'll keep looking.:)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really are a gadget freak, and it sounds like you have need of a low-low, the Novatac lights make a lot of sense. The 85P is not much more than the JetBeam, and Lighthound has 2x123 tubes that fit for cheap. Do NOT use two cells with a Novatac, though, that is only safe for the old HDS lights. It will work great as is, with the long spring and a 17670, or, you can mod it (yes, your first mod, this one is easy) to take an 18650 like this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207486&highlight=brass+strip

Oh, and :welcome:, buy both, and hang on to your wallet, I didn't :ohgeez:.

dangerous

Newly Enlightened
The only problem with the novatacs is that it sounds like they aren't all that bright - 85 or 120 lumens, I think the EZ AA is supposed to put out 130 (well mine's the neutral so maybe less) but I was hoping for "MORE POWER" in the larger light. What is the best thing about the Novatac, is it just that they are a real joy to behold / really well constructed etc. compared to other lights?

Another thing I forgot to add to my first post was that I have no need for strobe / SOS, and would prefer not to have to cycle through it. I had a look for the L Mini II but it's not in stock unfortunately.