Things that drove you nuts when you were younger,

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
but that you love now. For example I was on my way to class this morning and saw a half-raked pile of leaves. And I had an odd desire to rake leaves. When I was younger I hated yardwork. But now it seems so zen, just you and the leaves, outdoors. Weird, I know.

Another thing is math, I hated math growing up. But just recently I was offered
a position as a Teaching Assistant in a stats class. This is probably the third time I've been offered a similar position, always for math classes. I took it this time. I was kind of bummed that the class would end in December. I love math now. It's also kind of zen, in a Highlander sense. There can be only one correct answer. No more trying to figure out what the professor wants you to say.

Anyways, what is it that you used to hate and now love.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course ...... Parents will be first on this list ! Before that ... mashed potatoes made me throw up !

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
a position as a Teaching Assistant in a stats class. This is probably the third time I've been offered a similar position, always for math classes. I took it this time. I was kind of bummed that the class would end in December. I love math now. It's also kind of zen, in a Highlander sense. There can be only one correct answer. No more trying to figure out what the professor wants you to say.

I'm the opposite. Ever since I published a paper where I ran out of letters of the English and Greek alphabets for variables, I've developed some kind of aversion to working out math by hand.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the opposite. Ever since I published a paper where I ran out of letters of the English and Greek alphabets for variables, I've developed some kind of aversion to working out math by hand.

Good grief! Might I ask what the paper was on?

Burgess

Flashaholic
When i was young . . . .

Never liked Tomatoes.

Hated 'em ! ! ! :green:

Now that i'm Grown Up, i love 'em !

Eat several of them at a time, sliced up in a bowl.

Ice Cold.

:)
_

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can relate to both RyanA and 1138 on this one. I hated math when I was young. Loved it toward the end of my high school and early college career when I was going through basic calculus, trig, and linear algebra. Now I can safely say I hate it again, as I'm also regularly working with papers that require the entire English and Greek Alphabet to complete a problem (including lower- and upper- case characters, calligraphic variants of characters, and sub- and super-scripts on top of that...)

For another example I also get to deal with the fact that there are multiple different notations to describe spherical coordinates. Some will reverse the definition of θ and φ compared to each other, others keep the definitions the same but reverse the ordering of the different variables. Which means you do not immediately know if a point in space in spherical coordinate such as (1, π/2, π/4) refers to ( r, θ, φ ), or ( r, φ, θ ), or what the definitions of θ andφ actually ARE without double-checking the notation the author decided to use... Or equations to describe wave propagation often arbitrarily have different sign conventions.

Of course, a lot of my aversion isn't so much the math itself, as the confusing notations/conventions chosen to describe the math.

As for things i used to hate as a youth that have grown on my since my youth: coffee...

and much of that is related to the math issues mentioned above :shakehead

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Interesting thread. I was trying to think of something to add but couldn't come up with anything offhand. I remember I didn't drink coffee much until college but it wasn't because I disliked it. Rather, I usually didn't have time to make it once I started high school. But I did have it regularly through most of grade school. So the bottom line is that it appears my basic likes and dislikes really haven't changed much since I was young. I honestly can't think of anything I used to detest which I like now. I can however think of a few things I used to either like or tolerate which I can't any more. Warm weather is one. I never cared much for warm weather even though I could more or less tolerate it until maybe 10 years ago. Now I dread summers with a passion. I basically have trouble dealing with temperatures much above 75°F for more than a short time. If I'm in direct sunlight, then forget anything much over about 60°F if I'm doing anything more active than sitting in a chair.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
but that you love now. For example I was on my way to class this morning and saw a half-raked pile of leaves. And I had an odd desire to rake leaves. When I was younger I hated yardwork. But now it seems so zen, just you and the leaves, outdoors. Weird, I know.

Anyways, what is it that you used to hate and now love.

Damn Ryan, there's something wrong with you...math and yardwork...:ohgeez:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Public speaking and exercise. When I was in elementary school, I was voted shyest in my class. I was also in a special ed. class for a year or two of elementary school because I had awful hand-eye coordination. Now, I'm a martial arts instructor in a school of over 70 students, and I made it to the top of Mt. Whitney this July alone. I'm in great shape now, have among the fastest reflexes of anyone in the school, and have no problem speaking to a large group of people. The key for me has been to always do my best and never quit. That is much easier to say than to follow through with, but in the end, persistence pays off.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm ... What drove me nuts when I was younger? Girls.

What drives me nuts now? Women. :D
.........................................................................................

It also drove me nuts when I was younger for what I considered the odd spelling ....

I soon realized the nature of it >.... To bring Wo .. to men .

Hence I now understand the message in the spelling of Women .

yo6ial

Newly Enlightened
Amen!
Woo... men. :D

Umm... I hated smoking, as a kid.
I still hate smoking a pack-a-day...
I hated drinking, too. Good thing i stopped drinking and don't hate it anymore.

I also hated school, as an institution. Now, no more school, no more hard feelings :D

So... I guess that all, 'bout things that drove us nuts when kids and don't bother us anymore, as time goes by...
Simply, those things change in time, making way for brand new ones.

Now I hate cars and driving, bills, flat tires and a couple of people...
They didn't bother me as a kid. What went wrong? :duh2:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity-where have you been???? I know your still posting,but not as much as you use to.

When I was a newbie lurker back in '07 you,LuxLuthor,and Northern Lights were like mentors to me.Now only Lux is around.

The Incan section isn't the same without you!

For that matter what ever happen to Northern Lights!!!:confused::confused::confused: