Ultimate modular flashlight: E2e-base

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I know many people are attracted to the idea of a modular flashlight -- one that can take a variety of lamp, bezel, brightness, runtime, beam pattern, battery configuration, tailcap switch options. It occurred to me (duh!) that the E2e platform, plus the various mods around, make the E2e an astoundingly modular system. Look at some of the options:

25 lumens MN02 ~2.5 hours, okay throw
60 lumens MN03 ~75 minutes, okay throw
65 lumens KL4 5W LS ~60 min (sorry, forgot the spec), broad LED
17 lumens KL1 1W LS 30 min, broad LED
120 lumens P61 w/ nascar's mod ~20 minutes?, okay throw
120 lumens P90 w/nascar's mod & Doug's bat.ext. ~60 min?, okay throw
200 lumens P91 w/ nascar's mod + Doug's bat.ext. ~20min?, okay throw

You can go clickie or momentary-on-only with any of the options.

You can add E2C to get another way of using the P60/P61/P90/P91 in their intended bezels, with better throw. Or, use KL3 if you have one.

You can use Doug's battery extender or the UBH to mix-and-match battery configurations.

Ross

Enlightened
Well documented Joe. I thought this exactly which is why I ordered a battery extender and when I can afford it, I will ask nascar to mod a bezel for me.
I also like the idea of adding a TID as well. I think this makes the E2e almost the perfect non-rechargeable duty light.

Ross

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you're talking about using 123 batteries, the girth of both systems would be similar. At 9v both should be about the same length. At less that 9v the the UBH would be longer.

I had great expectations of using multiple voltages, lamps, bezesl etc untill I started using the 9v stuff...no going back to 3-6v now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another piece of the puzzle is the E1 .... With the E1, you have more options ... put the battery extender on the E1 and now you have all the standard E2 options. Keep it off, you have a 15 lumen incandescent or 15 lumen 1W luxeon. Add UBH, you get-- well, you get the idea.

The one thing missing from this system is alternative battery types -- rechargeables and AA, for example. Though I suspect UBH might get you that?

It's worth noting another possibly modular platform taking shape. It's an all-mod solution for anything beyond the base platform, so performance should be outstanding. Start with the Pelican M6, which is competitive w/ the SF P60/P61 solution. Soon there will be a high-rated (V,W) 5W LS driven at 750 ma. There's also talk of a 1W luxeon, and some kind of extra-hot incandescent (I think). The PM6 is a much heavier platform than the E2e, and schedule-wise you're at the mercy of the modders rather than having many components already available, but as an all-mod solution performance should kick serious butt.

Joe

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
If you're talking about using 123 batteries, the girth of both systems would be similar. At 9v both should be about the same length. At less that 9v the the UBH would be longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy, both solutions have the standard E2 body's girth. But Nascar's mod stuffs a P61/P90/P91 inside an E2-diameter bezel. The E2C requires going to a full-size C2 or whatever bezel, which in my book is noticeably bigger.

[ QUOTE ]

I had great expectations of using multiple voltages, lamps, bezesl etc untill I started using the 9v stuff...no going back to 3-6v now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, wonder if I"ll be the same way when I get that battery extender from Doug! Well, actually, I'm certain that my "tactical" carry light will become the E2 + Nascar + P91 + Dspeck extender, assuming I like how it works when I take it out the range for a spin. EDC might end up being L4, maybe sometimes I'll replace the L4 LED bezel w/ the MN03 (but keep the clickie!).

Joe

bwcaw

Enlightened
Not to nitpick here, but I noticed a typo in your run times. You stated that the kl1 will run for only 30 min on the e2e with fresh batteries, I know for a fact that it will run for quite a while longer than that (5 hours?). Other than that, it sounds pretty cool! I have the UBH, e2c, and most of the other stuff you list, and it really is a modular system. It is kinda cool to be able to go from 17lm. to 225 lumen with just a swap of heads and batteries.

And you forgot the sf KT heads! You can put them on the e2e with the e2c adaptor for long throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
I just received my modified E2e bezel and P61 lamp from Ray (this is nascar) and it is awesome to get 120 lumens from the diminutive E2e. Along with the shorter tailcap taken from my E2 (screwed all the way down to reduce length) and the clickie mod from yclo, my modified E2e gets my vote for the best and brightest small flashlight.

Bucky