Myo 5 Received!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the package. Jon from Petzl was kind enough to send his sales sample for review as they won't be in retail packaging for another week or two.

First off, the head of this thing is small - smaller than I expected. The LEDs point downward at a nice angle for close work when the incandescent is pointed straight forward. You can direct the LEDs forward by tilting the headlamp up. The reflector is textured around it's outer edge and gives a decent spot and flood as a result. It can be operated with one hand - no fumbling. Looks like we may have a winner!

Official review is in progress, along with several other Petzl products.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am SO glad that Petzl is using at least some texturing to improve the notoriously bad beam pattern they have had.

Thank you for that bit of very good news, Quickbeam!

grnamin

Enlightened
I was about to purchase one, but decided to wait until your review, Quickbeam. How are the body and headstrap colors? Most websites that have the Myo 5 have only the stock photo showing the headlamp with with the blue-colored parts coming up as light blue, but one sight showed the blues as darker.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue is slate blue, the yellow and orange are dull. It's not as bright as the pics make them out to be.

Here's the review of both the Myo 3 and Myo 5 (same except for color, # LEDs, and regulation):

petzl_myo3_myo5_bezel.jpg

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/petzl_myo3_myo5.htm

Enjoy!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! IF you have one of the UKE 4AA lights, can you compare the brightness and run quality of the Myo to it? At 4 hours, it sounds like the Myo is putting out a tad less light. The beamshots make the Myo look somewhat like the UKE's spidery beam.

grnamin

Enlightened
Awesome! Thanks, Quickbeam. I think the retail side of Campmor already has the Myo 5 in stock. I called them last week and they said they did.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
UKE = Underwater Kinetics? I have a UK 4AA light, but they are handheld and not adjustable.

Here's the stats I have:

UK 4AA Runtime 4-5 hours, 3500 lux at beam center
Petzl Myo 5 Runtime 5 hours, 2000 lux at beam center

So the UK has better throw. Probably because the reflector is pre-adjusted to concentrate more of the light into the tighter spot.

UK 4AA:

uk_4aa_beam.jpg

Myo 3/5:

petzl_myo5_incand_beam_tight.jpg

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Yeah, I'd wanted the UK 4AA comparison just because it's a point of reference I can understand, since I have one also. My experience is that the 4AA has a very spidery artifacty beam, which isn't coming out in your beamshot. The Myo looks even more artifacty in the beamshot. Maybe you just got a really good 4AA!

Joe

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, Quickbeam.

It sounds like the Myo 5 will give the Yukon a run for the money. I tried a Myo 3 before, and liked a lot of its features. I thought it was a well designed headlamp. With current regulation, and selectable brightness, the Myo 5 sounds even better.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have been considering the Myo 5, the Gemini, and the supernova. Can any body compare the incandescent ouputs on these lights?

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I got the Myo 5 from Sport Chalet and tried it on a night hike. I actually returned it the next day. I didn't like the plastic lens, it would scratch and scuff up within a few uses (my night hikes are pretty brutal on equipment)

The beam and brightness was mediocre, good runtime though. It wasn't far reaching. My UK4AA is brighter which isn't very bright to begin with.

I didn't like the switch method. (Twist on/off) Preference I guess but the On/Off/On/Off to change LED brightness was annoying, esp with the order being: Med/High/Low.

The LED portion was excellent however, I like the regulation and the 5 LEDs were bright enough to walk/climb with.

Ultimately, I returned it because for $70 I couldn't stand the cheap thin plastic lens and mediocre mainlamp. If it came with Pyrex lens, a better switching method, smoother beam, brighter mainlamp I would like it.

Just my 2 cents. Testing out lights on 10pm hikes out in the woods where I can't see my feet has really been enlightning.