Just purchased TK20

tau-neutrino

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Fenix TK20, but now am having buyers regret (haven't received it yet)! Talk me outa the regret! Please!

I wanted something warm, with a small number of modes (no SOS, strobe, etc) that took AA's and would have better run-time and throw primarily for use outdoors (as a bike light among other things). Now I just have this feeling that I made the wrong move! Does anyone else get like this?:mecry:Maybe I should have gone for a different light....

Last edited:

bobjenkins

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Fenix TK20, but now am having buyers regret (haven't received it yet)! Talk me outa the regret! Please!

I wanted something warm, with a small number of modes (no SOS, strobe, etc) that took AA's and would have better run-time and throw primarily for use outdoors (as a bike light among other things). Now I just have this feeling that I made the wrong move! Does anyone else get like this?:mecry:Maybe I should have gone for a different light....
LoL me too I just bought an m20 a few minutes ago and I am thinking I could have gone with the eagletac p20c2, but in the end I think I made the right decision, as long as you researched it well I think you´ll be fine:)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two TK20, one for me, one for my wife. I also got one for my dad and one for a good cacher-friend. Can't be that bad, that light?

OK, there was exactly one better one, but it's sold out : Quark AA-2 neutral white. If you seek for toughness however and for more throw, the TK20 is still the winner. That light is tough as a rock and with its rubber coat, it's good to hold in hands, when it's cold outside, it doesn't freeze your hands.

The beam is kinda throwy, it really lacks a little spill, probably the price to pay if you want to build a somewhat bright light with 2 x AA and a neutral white LED. The Quark is the opposite, is is floody, but lacks of throw.

As for the neutral white tint, it is best outside. Try a cool white against it in a forest and you'll switch the cool white off. The TK20 has much better color rendering, nature looks more natural. I wanted to take mine out of my backpack on saturday, because I got a Quark Turbo AA-2 (XPG-R5, 206 emitter Lumen, throwy). Well, I didn't do it. The Turbo is bright white, no real tint I could see, it'll serve well for reflectors and has better spill, but the TK20 will still be the king in the forest.

Now wait for the light, take it apart, feel its toughness, play with it until dark and take it to the forest until teh first set of batteries (use NiMh) is dead. If you should feel bad than, which I can't imagine, go to the Market Place and open a sales-thread. It'll sell quick and you won't loose much!

Enjoy your light! :wave:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened

Great choice! It's built like tank, has a low mode that's already bright enough for most uses, and utilizes common, easy-to-find batteries. It has a concentrated beam that throws forever, and you can buy diffusers to smooth out the beam. No complicated UIs to deal with, and it doesn't break the bank. What's not to like? You made a good purchase. Now go out there and enjoy your brand new light! :thumbsup:

- FITP

toolpig1

Enlightened
The tint is great, looks like an incan. Plants, grass, and trees really light up well with this light. I hate cool tinted leds for outdoor use, everything green looks pale and eery (like a scene from "Underworld").

The body of the light is thick, has got to be indestructible. I'd receive the light and enjoy it, you'll have no regrets.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
perfect for outdoors! and it throws really well...for its form and size. i try to leave it at home but i cant, i have to bring it with me. if these ever go on sale ima get another one

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my TK20! If I lost it I would replace it. I keep it in my vehicle loaded with Energizer lithiums so it's always ready to go even in the dead of winter. I like the bright yellow rubber grip which would make it easier to spot if I dropped it while outside.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you regretting? You don't make a lot of sense here.

The TK20 has all the features that you're looking for, its a perfect fit. In fact its such a perfect fit if you ask me to name another light with all those features I'm afraid i can't.

Just go out have some fun and forget about it, when its arrived in a few days and you'd be positively surprised. =)

madmook

Newly Enlightened
LOL at least wait until you have the thing in your hand before you start feelin' any regrets!

I'm also awaiting delivery of my TK20 this week... I chose the yellow grip.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Whats so bad about it? It fits the bill for your requirement as a night bike rider. Cant find any cheaper light that performs as good.

Really sturdy and bright. Plus the extremely far throw on this guy is great for your bike riding expeditions. The one and only downfall I see with this light is the narrow beam. Besides the fact that thing is a tank so expect it to be a bit heavier than usual :D Diffusers can solve this problem lol.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

no, you havent made the wrong move, i was wavering on buying a TK20 but finally just decided to go ahead and get it, i was thinking "c'mon, 2xAA, how good can it be?"

Well, ordered it and it arrived, i was shocked, it was smaller than i thought it would be, then i held it and went "hey, did it come preloaded with AAs?" heck no! It was one heavy SOB, opened it up and was again amazed at the thickness of the battery tube. This light is built like a tank! No fears of it not working if i drop it.

Loaded it with 2xEneloops and turned it on, wow yet again, intense hotspot but very useful spill too, not many (if any) rings in the beam but you wont notice that when outdoors. Tested the TK20 and my Jet III Pro ST from 12 floors up into some bushes below, the TK20 on high seemed to have much better penetration into the bushes (if you know what im getting at), the Jet III was brighter at 225 lumens but did not seem able to 'define' the bushes as much as the lower rated TK20.

When i head up to Bali at the end of this month, the TK20 is comin along with me, no need to carry chargers etc, just a pack of alkalines and i am set. Match that with 1xAA lights for backups and i am good to go. (of course i am probably going to end up bringing more lights but thats part of the fun isnt it?).

If you're still in doubt, check out this beamshot site and look at the beauty that is the TK20.

enjoy the light man, aint never gonna give that baby up.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, TK20 lacks a real low mode. But you can't find any 2AA light with such a comfortable holding, and possibly not either in such a durable performance. I guess you will like it when you have tried it.

Regards, Patric

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I got a TK20 back in June and like it. One of those gear items that feels right from the get go. I compared it to my brighter lights rated at 180 and 190 lumens and the TK20 on high seemed brighter in the woods. This could be due to my eyes inability to distinguish between these smaller differences, great tint and better throw or maybe Fenix is sending them out with Q3 as you are guaranteed at least Q2 but there is nothing that says they will not use a higher bin if available. SF did the same thing for years with their lights. The thing feels like a rock and cuts though the woods like a laser. Two mode UI that can be set like one with a turn of the bezel so no silly disco junk like strobe, sub one lumen lows, SOS or God knows what will be popular in the next 15 minutes. :shakehead Just a good quality bomb proof light that has not failed me so far. The only down sides are extra weight that precludes it from being taken on extended backpacking trips and an indicator hum on high mode which or me is kind of a non issue. It is just pure win in my book.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just give it a chance. :cool:

Betcha' gonna' LOVE it ! ! !

Please post a "mini-review" once you've passed judgement on your new flashlight.

_

arodaz

Newly Enlightened
:D after reading these glowing comments about the tk20,,I think santa,,{cough,,I} will be slipping one into my stocking..using a romisen rc-n3-II for the dog walks,, works great,,love the light,,just a little slim feeling in my hand

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
.................Two mode UI that can be set like one with a turn of the bezel so no silly disco junk like strobe, sub one lumen lows, SOS or God knows what will be popular in the next 15 minutes. :shakehead ..................................

:crackup: That line really cracked me up for some reason!! Thanks!

But just so this isn't a totally useless post, I'll add that I doubt the OP will regret his purchase. I don't know of many (or any at all) who have regretted buying the TK20.

May be my imagination, but it seems like the TK20 was one of those lights that kind of got off to a slow start in the CPF crowd, but those of us who bought one became diehard fans!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I got my TK20 I already had a TK11R2, TK40, L2D, PD30 a quark AA neutral and an AA^2 tube, just to name the strongest lights I have.

The minute I turned it on in the dark, I knew I would use that more than the others on a regular basis (except EDC or for low lighting). I now think I might be able to leave my TK11 or TK40 at home next time I go camping (no I won't, I'm a flashaholic, but at least now I wouldn't cry if I forgot them).

I even considered buying a second one. Instead I'm thinking I might buy one for my dad as a christmas present....

WHAT REGRET? shake yourself. Or don't... at least if you feel regret until it arrives, you'll be in for a really good flashlight fix!

Cuxhavener

Newly Enlightened
I put a Cree XR-E R2 WH-binning in my TK20, it is much brighter than the warm Q2. Now I can not see a output different between my TK11R2 and the TK20 R2Mod, but the tint ist warmer from the R2WH, it is very nice, I love it.
(I hope, my english is good enough, that you can understand what I mean.)

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today, and with the few minutes I've played around with it thusfar, I'm already liking it a lot.

The only con (more like quirk) I have with the TK20 is that the head portion is so much heavier than the body, and feels weird to me probably because most of the lights I've used have a pretty even balance of weight along the whole length of the light.

Love the tint, though.