• Too much Green - contemplating return

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WAY too much Green - definitely will return

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luminati

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

Just a very subjective and informal look at this issue. We just got an L4 here to play around with and have definitely considered taking this to the next St. Patty's day parade! Well, not that bad I guess, but still not the star-white that was expected (doncha just love how expectations mess with life's pleasures?)

Anyway, please take a minute to participate in this very non-scientific poll. I am trying to decide whether to send this L4 back for a whiter one (is there such a thing???) and am curious to know how many of you are (dis)satisfied with the green tint. The poll assumes white is desirable...

JR

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mine has absolutely NONE of that "rotten dog urine green" (or "rotten cat urine green") color to its beam. It's a pure snow white, just what I'd expect to see out of a 5W white Luxeon Star LED. No green tint in the main beam, and none in the corona either.
If you view the LED directly (but off-axis so you do not view the main beam), the LED has a slightly bluish-white HID-like color.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I happen to know the L4's use "V and above" flux bins, and "3 to 4" color bins.

I know this for a fact.

As I've found from years of prior dealings in not just lights, but everything from car paint to clownsuits, perceptions of color can and will range widely -- to an unbelievable degree.

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
I received my L4 today (KL4 s/n A00172) and initially, in daylight, the light has a definite green cast to it...especially when compared to my KL1's, which are very blue-looking next to the L4.

I haven't decided if I'm upset about it, that will have to wait until darkness and a true test.

Cheers,

/TCP

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haveing left PK at SureFire, a few hours ago, I can confirm what Don said, v3 or higher..

Pk did show me some other "3s", and I was amazed at the variation in color.... some of the 3's looked more like 1s or 2s, while others 4's. It seems that Luxeon color codes don't really mean alot.

The other thing that I wasn't too clear on was "Vf". Very simple terms.... there's only 1 pie, and no matter how you cut it, still only one... translation: the higher the Vf, the higher output (but less run time...) the lower the Vf, the lower output (but longer run time).

Free

Enlightened
Mine is a little green. Next to it my KL1 looks positively purple! I am not sure if it is a biggie, just got it today and will try it after dark.

Darell

Flashaholic
I'd never be able to call mine "HID-like" - it has a subtle green hue. But it is an even, mossy green - nothing like the original unrine-colored 1W LSs.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm GREEN with envy for those that have theirs.

I'm also PURPLE from holding my breath to receive one that is probably being mailed today.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a very bland shade of green...

I'd call it "Vanilla, with a splash of Lemon"...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

It's not enough to bother me, but compared against a Space Needle II, it's definately not "pure white"...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine actually has a slight blue tint, no green at all. Actually, I was hoping for one with a slight green -vs- blue/violet since it will appear brigher and whiter than blue or violet usually does. at least to me.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have one that's slightly green-tinted and another which is pretty white. I real use applications, you really can see a difference. The only time you can tell is shining on a plain white wall.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
...The other thing that I wasn't too clear on was "Vf". Very simple terms.... there's only 1 pie, and no matter how you cut it, still only one... translation: the higher the Vf, the higher output (but less run time...) the lower the Vf, the lower output (but longer run time).

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

Thanks for providing us with PK's clarification of Vf. I was never clear about it either, even though several patient Flashaholics tried to educate me.

I see that Flux and Vf are interconnected. Makes me wonder if the best compromise would be a high Flux # for brightness combined with a relatively low Vf for runtime. That way you would get a bright long-burning 5 watter.

It seems that most modders go for both high flux and high Vf. Perhaps a very high flux and a middling Vf would be a better combination.

Does this seem valid?

Brightnorm

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
sean: i'd be really happy if i were you; i usually prefer a blue tint to a green tint, so much so that i sold my first arc LS which had a slight green tint for a new one which had a blue tinted led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be the "Warm Luxeon" we've been hearing on the chatterin' wiretap throughout Spring...

grnamin

Enlightened
I was pretty content with the color of my L4, thinking it was white, until my brother bought one, too. We compared beams last night on a white ceiling. Lo and behold, his was white and mine was slightly greenish! Oh, the pain!

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
Haveing left PK at SureFire, a few hours ago, I can confirm what Don said, v3 or higher..

Pk did show me some other "3s", and I was amazed at the variation in color.... some of the 3's looked more like 1s or 2s, while others 4's. It seems that Luxeon color codes don't really mean alot.

[/ QUOTE ]
My L4 is the greenest Luxeon I've ever seen, other than a 5W that lambda sold as an unsuccessful mod. When I shine it on my light brown carpet the result is so yellow you'd think the dog didn't make it outside...

I realize this is Lumiled's fault, but the reality is that the L4 is the most expensive (of five) 5W white Luxeon I have and is tied for worst color with the light sold with an asterisk. After trying it for two days to see if I could get used to the color I've decided to exchange it.

All but two of the ~ 30 1W white Luxeons I've handled have had an unobjectionable bluish tint but none were green. Also, this sample has central spot with green surrounded by a white ring that makes up perimeter of the spot (the spot intensity is smooth – it's only the color that changes). The corona is also white. It's very strange.

Latest posts