E1B Blurry Letters

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Guys I need some advice here, my most recent SF purchase was the E1B and I noticed the typing of the logo and serial number is a little off. Sort of like it was done twice on top of each other. Question is should I keep it and shut up or RMA it? SF gave me an RMA # and I just don't know what to do. What if I send it to them and they'll say they can't do anything about it as they see no problem??
DSC00264.jpg

Here's the pic. Ugly or beauty? :poke:What do you guys think?

sabre7

Enlightened
Send it back, it could be a manufacturing flaw and it will always bother you.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
ack! has SF been dropping their game lately?

shh... lights are a sight to behold in the light, too.

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll send it back to find out how good their customer service really is because this is bothering me quite a bit. Should I send it in a little box or a yellow bubble wrapped envelope? Send just the body or the entire flashlight? Should I send the original box it came with too?

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is it lowering your standards? :thinking:

How does the writing on a tool, effect it's ability of use??

My Quarks have lower standard laser etching than many of my other lights, yet I don't complain. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.
This isn't a Surefire thing I am talking about.

If it were illegible, I would definitely say send it back. But it isn't.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Send it back with everything it came with in the same or similar shipping packaging.

zven

Enlightened
Huh... Can't say I expected to see so many so strongly in favor of sending it in. To me, the issue seems pretty minor, as it's strictly cosmetic, still very legible, and doesn't affect the light's functionality in the slightest.

Then again, if you're not happy with the light, and SureFire are willing to take a look at it, there's certainly nothing wrong with sending it in.

However, considering it's strictly a cosmetic issue, I'd recommend you prepare for SureFire returning it and ignoring the issue. As I've read numerous times in the past, they've declined to service many lights on cosmetic issues like this. Issues like ugly green or blue tints (which seem to have more of a functional impact than lettering on the side). Not sure I really agree with their refusals in such cases; just saying that you shouldn't get your hopes up for a cosmetic issue.

Besides, as mentioned above, I think a palindrome serial number would be really cool. Way cooler than those silly "low" serial numbers.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure about others. but to me, aesthetic is part of the quality standard i have in mind.
How is it lowering your standards? :thinking:

How does the writing on a tool, effect it's ability of use??

My Quarks have lower standard laser etching than many of my other lights, yet I don't complain. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.
This isn't a Surefire thing I am talking about.

If it were illegible, I would definitely say send it back. But it isn't.

buickid

Enlightened
I think SF only covers defects that inhibit the designed operation of the light... In any case, this isn't really a new issue. I have an old E2 (one with a LOTC twisty switch, SN 55xxx) whose print is slightly smudged and pretty crooked.

Vesper

Enlightened
My E2L is kinda like that. A tad smudgy looking (especially compared to my crystal-sharp LX2). Doesn't bother me enough to act on it though.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure about others. but to me, aesthetic is part of the quality standard i have in mind.

Me too, I love lights that are functional and look good.

But I will disagree that this example is showing any less quality than others.

Is a slightly blurred bit of etching worth throwing away that amount of aluminum?

Imagine how anti-environmental that would be.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think SF advertise or guaranty the cosmetic aspect of their flashlight. Being shelf queen is probably the least of the designer's concern. As long as the numbers are easily read, IMO they could legitimately refuse the exchange it.

Send it back if it really bother you but you take the risk of getting more frustration than anything else in return. You could be lucky too though.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I see no point in sending it back...

It is perfectly legible and has no impact whatsoever on how the light function, so I would ignore it and just use the light.

Then again I only buy lights that I am going to use, so a tiny issue like that makes no difference when I know that it is going to be well used and most likely end up taking knocks and damaging the finish somewhat through use anyway... If you buy a light purely to stick on a shelf and look at every so often then maybe a tiny cosmetic issue makes a lot more difference.

At the same time, what is the printing normally like? It doesn't look particularly bad to me and pretty much what I would expect for a lot of items you could buy - are Surefire logos always pinpoint sharp or is this about normal anyway?

If anything else, I sometimes like all the wee issues and knocks a light takes - it makes it *my* light, and that wee bit different from everyone elses (even if it is just because I dropped it and chipped the finish)

007Runner

Banned
My E1B looks just like yours. I am more concerned about the poor design of the clip. What I mean by that is I wanted to remove it, but Sure Fire told me if I do, under the clip it is not solid. There will be a hole.