Need for Mag drop-in.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of 4D mag led's. Purchased four of them on sale from Coles for AU$29 each (that's a dead set bargain here in Oz), with Duracell D's included. They work a treat and just recently purchased a tle-6ex upgrade (craps on the stock led). I have been considering the tle-300 for another light but am wondering if anyone has any info on an upcoming drop-in that will supercede the 300? I live in Australia which has a bit of an upgrade defecit to say the least. Malkoff is out of stock at this point in time and was wondering if they are working on something new.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of the Malkoff drop-ins are frequently out of stock (they're popular on this board), but they usually re-stock weekly. The brighter, floodier Mag drop-ins have been MIA for a while, and there's lots of speculation about possible replacements (some new LEDs hit the market recently). The throwier, longer running Mag drop-ins were just updated and have been selling out quickly when new stock is added.

The Chinese discount vendors have offered a few options as well, but I don't have any links, and I don't remember if those were direct drop-ins for Mags or required some tweaking.

If you want a Malkoff, just check back frequently. Mondays used to be the days they generally re-stocked, but I don't know if that's still true. They have an e-mail list, but I don't remember if they use it for notices about stock updates.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Please, no double posting, it's against the rules. Here's your other thread with a similar topic.

As for new drop-ins, I don't recall hearing about any. You can always try a mod. They are usually pretty easy and only require soldering skills and some kind of cutter.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the double posting, I'm new to these types of forums. Living here in Australia is just plain aweful if you want to do anything regarding torches (flashlights). A 3D Mag with an incan bulb will set you back AU$80 and most places that sell them will charge another 50 bucks for a mag led. Talk about bending you over. I've been collecting lights for a while and have only discovered you can do all sorts of crazy, wonderful things to them to get to perform far better than what they are built with. Just today I did my first mod (apart from whacking a tle-6ex into my mag). I took the stock mag led left over from my first upgrade and managed to fit it in very nicely to a generic 4D torch I got for ten bucks. Had to bore out the bulb seat (if that what it's called?) and reverse the polarity to get the led to light up. Took about half an hour, but it looks the bomb and is about twice as bright as the incan bulb. Ouch, I've been bitten. Spent the last 2 hours researching for my first BIG mag mod. I hope my wife will understand.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Hummm, it could be cheaper for you to find someone to buy a Maglite for you in the states and ship it to you. Or just order different lights online, they are cheaper. For $80 AU, you can get a pretty good light.