MY new Nitecore D20... Waht is wrong??

endetta

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I received my D20 today (TacticalLEDs.com) I am lovin' it; BUT...:(
After I put my eneloops in it and playing with it a little I noticed a minor issue.
When I am holding the PD switch to dim sometimes it flickers and turns off.
I say sometimes because it doesn't do it all the time.
I love the feel of my new flashlight and the fact that is loaded with many options. I noticed it does more of that flickering when I hold it to go to brightest from the lowest (it goes to highest possible but at the end it flickers for a second and turns off. I even noticed a few times when I click and hold to go back to the brightest it turns of as soon as I lift my finger from the switch.
Is this a common issue? Is this a connection problem or the smart chip is defected. Please help.
Thanks.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, but mine doesn't do that. Both my D10 and D20 work perfectly.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Probably nothing to worry about - the D20 piston drive is very reliable but out of the box the piston and the little contact ring inside the head can sometimes be a bit sticky. This can cause the symptoms you describe.

It usually wears in with use, so stick with it for a few days and see if it improves. If not a quick clean-up will probably sort things out - there are a number of threads on maintenance of the PD series that will explain what to do.

To start you off there's a good description and photos in Selfbuilt's excellent review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210904

[PS: Please don't start taking the piston and everything apart just yet - you probably won't need to ! But the photos and information are there if you need them ]

hydrou

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar experience with my old D20. But now after several months of use the piston and its lubrication have ran in. However, sometimes I still have difficulties because of the pressure needed to operate the switch. Esp. during ramping it may happen that I relieve my thumb slightly and the light begins to flicker. So far, I did not find a solution for this as this is due to the design of the pistion drive itself.