Looking to get a 9P or a G3 surefire

hooked113

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to know if there is better flash lights out there for the money. Also if I was going to go with the 9P model should I get the P91 lamp or are there other lamps available. I would like to have 100 to 200 lumens. Thank you

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes get that 9P! :welcome:

Here is your bulb, I think it beats the P91 easy. http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...ssembly-for-SureFire-C-P-Z-Series_p_1018.html
There is also this bulb but it might be a bit too bright for it's own good, manufacturer asks you to limit constant on time to 10 minutes or less. http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...ssembly-for-SureFire-C-P-Z-Series_p_1006.html

If you want to go rechargable you can get a bored 9P and use 2 18500 cells. Saves you money in the long run.
Bored 9P and 18500 cells here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234868
Charger here:
http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?product=171829

I've linked you to the best stuff. There is cheaper but I reccomend the gear that lasts longer and is safer to use.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forum!!

The P91 will do ~400 Lumens OTF if you power it with 2xIMR18650. I think its around~340L with IMR 16340 cells. I was playing around with one in another brand host at a CPF meet, GREAT little setup IMHO... unless you need run times:ohgeez:.

So if you are only looking for ~200L the P91 is not really for you. It might actually be too much light... at the expense of run time + the other drawbacks of incan LAs (durability, heat, regulation...etc...).

But if you want the sun in your hand the P91 + 2xIMR-18650 is an amazing setup. There are non-Surefire hosts capable of 2x18650, but listing them in this thread would take the discussion off topic.

The 9P is a NICE light though. I like the feel and balance of it better than the 6P. My suggestion would be a 9P bore modded by a CPF machinist and go with an AW 2x18500 setup and a Malkoff M60W. That will get you a hair over 200L, warm-incan tint without the headaches of Incan LAs.

I like my surefire P60 hosts (I just added an G2 to my collection!!), but don't limit yourself to just one brand. YES there are other very good brands that are worthy of your consideration. I would list them but that would take the discussion off topic.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
This class of three-cell SureFires are my favorite lights - especially for rechargeable cell configurations. I know it looks like only 50% more capacity (3 cells vs the 2 cells in the SureFire 6P-series), but with rechargeable cells:
  • 2-cell length: 2xRCR123: 2x550 mAh (actual capacities, not claimed) = 1100 mAh
  • 3-cell length: 2x17500: 2x1100 mAh = 2200 mAh
  • 3-cell length, bored per Sgt. LED: 2x18500: 2x1500 mAh = 3000 mAh
So you're looking at double to ~triple the rechargeable capacity for a light that is only slightly (i.e. 20-25%) longer. :cool:

OK. The G3 vs the 9P. I don't have a 9P, but I have a G3 and a C3, which adds a pocket clip (and a few other things) to the 9P form factor. I really like the pocket clip, but an additional consideration as Sgt. LED says, the aluminum 9P is borable while the nitrolon G3 cannot be bored. In addition, the G3 is not quite as good as handling heat compared to the aluminum 9P or C3 - an important consideration if/when heat-sensitive LED modules are used.

Anyway, here's a pic for ya:

C3006-1.jpg

BTW, Sgt. LED got me into the three-cell SureFires, so once you're $200-$300 poorer, you can thank him. ;)

Take care,
K

Last edited:

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Also, the C3 is not quite as good as handling heat - an important consideration if/when heat-sensitive LED modules are used.
K

Interesting, I was hoping to bore my C3 and add a hi output LED module. Could you expand on why the 9P would be better. I'd be grateful.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Another route would be a 5-mega 2x18500 body and piece together whatever bezel/switch combination you desire to host the M60 + 2x18500 cells.
Another good suggestion, the FiveMega bodies are very nice to house the larger-capacity 18mm cells, and (like the other hosts) can be used with 3x CR123 until a LiIon rechargeable configuration is sourced. Hooked113, once you have three posts (getting private-message privileges), I can send you a PM regarding sourcing a FiveMega 2x18500 configuration.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I can make the money fly away can't I. :) Sorry
The 3 cell just plain makes sense to me. A little more length, a lot of capacity. I love how you spell it out in your more detailed post.

For some reason I never liked the feel of the fivemega 18mm bodies.
:shrug:
Don't know it it's the Al type used, the HA treatment, or maybe the knurling pattern?
Maybe it's the flat sides on the otherwise round body? Just not sure. Leef I like just fine but there's something I just don't prefer with the fivemega.
Now for the Maglite lego goodness there's nothing like good ol' Fivemega parts! Love it.

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
I don't know if that is a Solarforce USA importer thing but my L2-ECR (the 1x cell extender) is 18mm. I think all are sold like this now.

I love the lego ability of my L2's, I use them for 1x16340 to 2x18650 with all sorts of options in between. From a L2m to a Lumens Factory P7 head.

My bedside light (serious stuff) is a Surefire 6PDL with a 1x extender on.
For all the benefits listed above, regulated runtime and the chances of it being flat when I need it are less.

I can also just pop it off when I want standard 6P size.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say go for the 9P, so if you want to get a LED drop-in, there will be sufficient heatsinking. If you get a good LED drop-in, you'll get over 200 lumen out the front, but you'll also have a cooler tint, unless you order a neutral white or warm white drop-in.

Or you can get a 6P and buy a 1 CR123 extender to run 3 CR123s when you want, and use 2 CR123s when you want a shorter light.

:welcome:

DM51

Flashaholic
The OP asked about choosing between a Surefire 9P vs. G3. He did not mention Solarforce. Members are asked to stay on topic.

Retinator

Enlightened
Funny I've been debating this for awhile 9P Vs G3.

There's probably more options with the 9P, and I like the feel of a 6P's aluminum more than the Nitrolon. Still the Nitrolon is better for cold and wet hand I find.

If you're looking at LEDs in the future, the 9P is pretty future proof.

As for your range of 1-200 lumens. It all depends on what you're doing and how much you think you want. If you're like me and haven't seen 200, might be too much.

I know the difference between the P60/P61 isn't that big so i don't know if there's a huge difference in the outputs of the P90/91's.

For me, I'm gonna order up a G3, simply for the nitrolon grip, and I'm going to use it mainly as an incan. And saving $20 can't hurt either :)

I doubt you could go wrong either way.

Oh ya, the Type 2 finish will wear in time, and the nitrolon will retain it's color.

Hmmm, then again, the motto here is 'buy both'.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still trying to figure out why anybody would bore out Surefire lights when there are plenty of aftermarket flashlight bodies around if you want to run 18mm cells.

It made sense a few years ago, when there were no such thing, but now?? I'm trying to figure out why people still want to do this, and ruin a perfectly good Surefire in the process.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm still trying to figure out why anybody would bore out Surefire lights when there are plenty of aftermarket flashlight bodies around if you want to run 18mm cells.

It made sense a few years ago, when there were no such thing, but now?? I'm trying to figure out why people still want to do this, and ruin a perfectly good Surefire in the process.

For the most part there is no techno-logical reason.

Getting a C2 or M2 bored however has some advantages over others. If you prefer the shape, ergonomics, fit/finish/quality of that surefire design, thats pretty much the only place to get it.

if done right it doesn't ruin the SF. It opens up the possibility of 18650 cells... FAR superior to 2x16340 (but thats a topic fo another discussion).

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most part there is no techno-logical reason.

Getting a C2 or M2 bored however has some advantages over others. If you prefer the shape, ergonomics, fit/finish/quality of that surefire design, thats pretty much the only place to get it.

if done right it doesn't ruin the SF. It opens up the possibility of 18650 cells... FAR superior to 2x16340 (but thats a topic fo another discussion).

I like the 2x16340, it seems like the LED lamps are brighter on 2 cells for longer and you have more incan options as well.

I agree with you about the ergo's. I just think that, a Surefire is a tough light and cool, why ruin it by thinning out the body. You can always get a Leef, Fivemega, ect., if you want the 18mm cells, but that's just me.

Oh, back to the thread, sorry about that. So I would go with the 9P if you plan to run an LED lamp. Otherwise the G3 is a good flashlight, especially in cold weather where aluminum is not so good.

The G3 has a glass lense so you don't have to worry about heat so much, except for the batteries.

Last edited:

Latest posts