Veterans Day- Thanks for your service

edc3

Enlightened
:thanks:

You guys (and ladies) never get enough credit for your sacrifices.

THANK YOU!

mosley

Newly Enlightened
My greatest appreciation and admiration to all of you who have served our Country!!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Service to my country?

I thought I went there to test flashlights? They did have high quality dark and people that really appreciated flashlights over there.

Thank you for the thank you and everyone have a great evening!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks greatly appreciated & passed on to my fellow veterans that have served, those that are serving, and those that will serve in the future!! An additional thank you to the vet's families who endured and served with their family members as well as the many citizens who support & "serve" in their own way too. :thanks: to ALL of you!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Obligatory Vet's day joke: Share this one with your favorite vet, select the conflict as needed; here's one to a Vietnam vet:

Joker: How many Vietnam veterans does it take to change a light bulb?
Vet: I don't know, how many?
Joker: You wouldn't know because YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!

Happy vets day :twothumbs

howlow.gif

Last edited:

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
Happy Veterans day to all who have served. Thank you for serving our country and all of our freedoms, and for protecting my family.
God Bless.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Thanks, all.

Every Veterans' Day I think back to the day before Veterans' Day, the Marine Corps Birthday. Very proud of that. 234 years this year.

And then I remember all the ones who aren't here any more --

Lieutenant Novotny, an A-6 BN who was killed on Dare County Target Range in North Carolina when they flew into the ground. He was the first one to go that I personally knew. Just one day he was gone and the hanger had a corner full of broken airplane parts. His gear bag was there, among the confetti that used to be an airplane, and one of us finally took a sheet and covered it because it still had his name tag showing.

Pappy Howard, who was killed in a T-34 crash on a flight from Dallas down to George West. He was the closest thing to a brother I ever had. I think they ran out of fuel and tried to land on a highway. The airplane was found the next day, upside down next to the road.

Sergeant Bauer, who got drunk and --uh -- aspirated on his own -- uh -- vomit -- and died in his own rack at Atsugi -- or maybe it was Iwakuni, that was around 1979.

Airman Browning, who was killed in a car wreck near Moody AFB. So young, maybe 20 years old. This one was very hard.

And I usually hoist a shot of Scotch for them. They were all great guys.

And then I remember the ones who DID make it. By and large, all the ones I know/knew were just plain guys like me, most never even went to a "hot" zone and led boring lives in the 'States, with the occasional trip to Korea or Japan or someplace you can't talk about because today, 20+ years later, you STILL don't know where you were!

And then I remember the other "friends" that are no longer around -- the A-4, the A-6, the F-4. I think the KC-130F's are all retired, most of the KC-130R's are old enough to retire -- the F-16A & B models, T-33's, Tall Tails, the Starfighter, Hustler, Delta Dart & Delta Dagger, even the C-141 is gone -- gee, I must be REALLY old -- nope, only 55, but I still think I'm 25!

More Scotch for the equipment, especially the Phantom 2!

Thanks again for the Veterans' recognition.

Earl
USMC 1977-1981
USAF (Ret) 1983-1999

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
And then I remember the other "friends" that are no longer around -- the A-4, the A-6, the F-4. I think the KC-130F's are all retired, most of the KC-130R's are old enough to retire -- the F-16A & B models, T-33's, Tall Tails, the Starfighter, Hustler, Delta Dart & Delta Dagger, even the C-141 is gone -- gee, I must be REALLY old -- nope, only 55, but I still think I'm 25!

Earl
USMC 1977-1981
USAF (Ret) 1983-1999

When I came in I thought the A-10 Warthog was a cool plane, after all these years it still is and still active. It was an experience to see that thing in action in the skies over Iraq. Never was a fan of the C-141 seats so no tears shed for that one. :)

John
USAF (ret) 1983-2009