Angryfox        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new H1 bulbs

Default Re: Need new H1 bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Scheinwerfermann View Post
    Sounds like your lamps are not aimed correctly.
    Well when we put it on I was in an Auto Electrician's workshop and we adjusted the lights and we left it a bit higher than usual. I will need to check it again though (see if it has dropped). If I am having any more trouble with these headlights thats it...I'm returning it . Already replaced them twice.

These are my projectors --> http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/372...el97ccflks.jpg

EDIT: Actually mine doesnt have the 3 LED's it has the W5W bulbs.
    Last edited by nicks; 11-22-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicks View Post
    Well when we put it on I was in an Auto Electrician's workshop and we adjusted the lights
    How, exactly, did you do it? Be specific -- what procedure and equipment were used to check the aim? Was the entire floor verified perfectly flat?

That could also explain your inability to see; poor-quality aftermarket toy "tuner" headlights rather than real working ones from a reputable maker.

How, exactly, did you do it? Be specific -- what procedure and equipment were used to check the aim? Was the entire floor verified perfectly flat?
    Well I cannot confirm if the floor was perfectly flat but it I believe it is a full blown auto electrical workshop (and lot of cars get their lights adjusted). We used an optical beamsetter (you know the thing that runs on wheels and has markings inside to check the height of the light. We left the light maybe 8-10mm above the line. But I'm not sure if the heights have dramatically changed during the drive (I highly doubt it)

That could also explain your inability to see; poor-quality aftermarket toy "tuner" headlights rather than real working ones from a reputable maker.
    Well the factory headlights were standard ones (no projectors). They dispersed the light everywhere and I did not have any major issues with them other than the fact that they were factory (I know I'm kicking myself now ). I could see far enough (15-20m I think) and the light sorted faded away rather than cutting off like the projectors. The light shone a bit to the side too.
    These new projectors that I installed a couple of weeks ago well look great and is available all over the internet (Dont know the manufacturer - i have asked the guy who has sold it to me. But I think its Anzo). The left side (when inside the car-passenger) is ok and there is a fair distance to the light- cant say exactly. But the right side (again when inside the car - driver side) there is a cut off and compared to the left side its much shorter and derfinately dangerous and not acceptable . Its basically like driving with your eyes half open. Your not quite sure what out there...and at a 100k !. i know its not much descriptive but I will try to chuck some pics on as soon as I get my car back from the workshop.

EDIT: And also the high beams werent the impressive either....will get pictures.

Hey Scheinwerfermann, I would like to thank you and others who are helping me with this issue. I really like my lights but I would like to get it sorted asap so I can go long distance night driving. Thanks a lot guys.
    Last edited by nicks; 11-22-2009 at 05:15 PM.

as promised, here are my comparison pictures between a standard H1 and the Powerbulbs Special +50. I also did some H11/H9 comparisons too

All of these pictures were taken at the same camera settings (very low exposure so that the beam pattern isn't all washed out - they look much brighter in person)
    Outside light was minimal. Camera was right next to the projector, held steady. All projectors were in the same location, aimed at the same spot on the wall. Distance is about 20-25 feet from the wall. Power was from a regulated 12v switching power supply, so any differences would be magnified on a 14v car electrical system.

GE H1 55w in Cadillac projector

Powerbulbs +50 H1 55w in Cadillac projector

Philips H11 Long Life 55w in MDX projector

Osram H9 65w in MDX projector

Thanks for that Tay . Is this from one projector or both? There is alot of difference in the color and intensity of some of the lights. Do you find the cut off point annoying? How much light distance are you getting from your projectors?

most aftermarket projectors are a parabolic reflector with two different curves perpendicular to each other for the fancy ones (less fancy ones only one curve 360degrees around).

If you look at OEM projectors, the parabolic bowls are way way way more complex. I currently am using Nissan koito bixenons from an FX for my 'rolla's forward lighting. (off-road, of course...)

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    If you look at OEM projectors, the parabolic bowls are way way way more complex.
    Most of them are ellipsoidal or quasiparabolic complex-surface reflectors, not parabolics.

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    most aftermarket projectors are a parabolic reflector with two different curves perpendicular to each other for the fancy ones (less fancy ones only one curve 360degrees around).

If you look at OEM projectors, the parabolic bowls are way way way more complex. I currently am using Nissan koito bixenons from an FX for my 'rolla's forward lighting. (off-road, of course...)
    Most of them are ellipsoidal or quasiparabolic complex-surface reflectors, not parabolics.
    Wow.....I think i will just sit back n whistle .

Still waiting on my car. Should have it by the end of the week. Will post the pictures will the results from the new bulbs. I might go to a shop who usually sell and installs this product and get them to adjust\take a look at my lights.

ah, never took 3d geometry. Schein is correct, parabola is 2d. Sometimes I wish there were an easier way to explain besides using words.

No, you weren't completely wrong; there's definitely such a thing as a parabolic reflector. Every reflector head/fog/driving light prior to 1985 or so used parabolic reflectors, and many of them continued to do so after that date.

Ok......I just spoke to one of the guys at cpaspares.co.nz. He told me that I could use a 140W bulb instead of 55W bulb without upgrading the wiring. This bulb will have thrice the amount of light i currently have. How true is this?? The make the bulb they use is Narva. I am unable to find any on the web.

I don't know about your Honda, but on my Maxima, the stock wiring is like 18ga spaghetti that can barely handle a 45w bulb. I doubt your stock wiring is adequate to run a 140w bulb.

I believe that there are plenty of reputable overwattage H1s (Philips and Narva 100w) (they're very popular for offroad lights - big reflectors where glare isn't a concern and there's plenty of room to dissipate the heat), but in a projector it might damage the chrome. That's a lot of heat.

Ok......I just spoke to one of the guys at cpaspares.co.nz. He told me that I could use a 140W bulb instead of 55W bulb without upgrading the wiring.
    Bull. That's just plain wrong. You can't. Not on stock, unmodified wiring. And even if you were to beef-up the wiring to supply overwattage bulbs, you'd turn those toy headlites into a puddle of melted plastic in a hurry with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tay View Post
    I don't know about your Honda, but on my Maxima, the stock wiring is like 18ga spaghetti that can barely handle a 45w bulb. I doubt your stock wiring is adequate to run a 140w bulb.

I believe that there are plenty of reputable overwattage H1s (Philips and Narva 100w) (they're very popular for offroad lights - big reflectors where glare isn't a concern and there's plenty of room to dissipate the heat), but in a projector it might damage the chrome. That's a lot of heat.
    Bull. That's just plain wrong. You can't. Not on stock, unmodified wiring. And even if you were to beef-up the wiring to supply overwattage bulbs, you'd turn those toy headlites into a puddle of melted plastic in a hurry with them.

Thats exactly what I thought as well guys. Well Im getting my car in today hopefully that is if I can pick it up in time. But hopefully I will get some pictures of the H1 Diamond vision tonight out in the open and tomorrow will get it with the Osram Night Breakers. Will still go to the CPASPARES to see what they have to say about it.

Picture 1.JPG - Shows u the cut off of the projector. So on the right it is only a few feet. So you can imagine how hard it would be for long distance driving.

Picture 2.JPG - Again shows you the cut off point and you can see the road turning to the left but on the right its pitch dark (its only because of the street light you see a little bit).

Picture 3.JPG - Shows you wheh the high beam is on. see how there it is shot to the centre. The further you are the higher the light goes, so when you care driving the light is shot somewhere in the sky and you still cannot see anything in front of you.

[3 over-size images replaced with links - DM51]

I have emailed it to the guy he was suggesting that my light bulbs were not good and that I should try changing them or upgrading to HID's. The pictures clearly shows the cut off and I have explained that to him. Will update you on the progress.

I have more picture but my gf has got the camera. Will upload when I get it back. Also, I have a request to make - I have a 97 Honda Prelude can anybody who has experience post some links to some well reputed after market headlights. Thanks.
    Last edited by nicks; 12-09-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Not many reputable aftermarket headlights. Most are ricer crap.

That output is, dare I say, worse than my stock 9004 parabolic reflector fluted-lens Maxima headlights.

IMO, best way to go is to keep your existing headlights, and just replace the low-beam projector with a better one (halogen or HID), and maybe the high beam too. How much room is there for that projector, roughly?

Judging from those output pics, HID kit would be a terrible idea. The output is dim, narrow, and short. You'll just end up flooding the foreground and reducing your visibility to the sides and to the distance, where it counts.

Gack. Those aren't headlamps, they're toys. Get them off the car NOW. Also, it's difficult to tell because the pictures you've posted are way too big so I have to shift the view around to see the whole pic, but it looks like they might be wrong (left) side traffic low beams.

Gack. Those aren't headlamps, they're toys. Get them off the car NOW. Also, it's difficult to tell because the pictures you've posted are way too big so I have to shift the view around to see the whole pic, but it looks like they might be wrong (left) side traffic low beams.
    Yeah, definitely a LHD cutoff too. And the cutoff is pretty much aimed at the ground. It should drop 2.1-2.5" at 25 feet away.

Super Moderator

nicks, your 3 photos were much too big. I've replaced them with links. When you have resized them to comply with Rule 3, you may re-post them.
    Resistance is futile...

Do you think I should stick with the factory headlamp? Or is there any reputable brand out there. FYI - Factory standard ones do not have Projectors in them

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    nicks, your 3 photos were much too big. I've replaced them with links. When you have resized them to comply with Rule 3, you may re-post them.
    Sorry mate, duly noted for next time. Thanks for replacing.

Do you think I should stick with the factory headlamp?
    Yes. If the factory headlamps are in poor condition, get new factory headlamps.

Or is there any reputable brand out there
    No.

FYI - Factory standard ones do not have Projectors in them
    True. They have a reasonably efficient complex-reflector optic.

Finally, Here are more images that I have promised

Below image is with my high beams turned on....its amazing how little it contributes to the road. You can see where the projector cut off is and thats it.

Below image, shows the light upclose to the wall

This image shows with the High beams turned on. Pretty pathetic !!!

Front shot of light with Halo's and park lights on

Front shot of lights with projectors turned on

Below is the shot of the throw of the light height adjustment thingy. The red line (that i marked) was initially where the light was adjusted to intially. Maybe a month ago and after 2-3 weeks I found it down to where it is now. Hopeless

I think I might stick with the Factory headlights. These lights look great at night and if they performed as they looked it would have been a great buy. I will keep you posted. I hope the Factory ones are not too expensive.
    Guys, thanks for all your help so far.
    Last edited by nicks; 12-09-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Spoke to the guy I bought the headlights off from, getting a refund.

He has been more than great with all the issues with the headlight. Too bad the product turned out to be the way it is. Alright, now I have to find my factory headlights or get new ones.

I mean, you can always swap out the projector itself withh a decent one, and keep the rest of the assembly.

But that is definitely a cutoff designed for cars who drive on the left side of the road, no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by tay View Post
    I mean, you can always swap out the projector itself withh a decent one, and keep the rest of the assembly.

But that is definitely a cutoff designed for cars who drive on the left side of the road, no doubt about that.
    That doesnt sound like an easy job. Dont you have to bake the headlamp in the oven so that you can pull it apart and where would you get decent projectors from? I have not seen any is car stores. I wish I could do that though.

Removing the optics from one headlamp and installing them in another can
    be done successfully, but it is a great deal more complicated and difficult to get a good, durable result than is commonly understood. Typically the explanation goes
    along the lines of "bake the headlight assembly in an oven to open it (loosen the
    adhesive), mount the new projector, aim it relative to the high beam in the common housing, re-bake it and silicon shut". There are all kinds of problems not mentioned
    here. Silicone-based sealants produce gases that attack and cloud up the lamp
    optics. The projector has to be mounted with extreme precision; if you get
    the center of gravity wrong it will sooner than later shake itself out of
    alignment and eventually off its mounts. The low beam projector has to be
    aimed correctly relative to the high beam. You usually cannot get a lasting, effective seal after the lamp's been baked...

As far as getting projectors, you can't really buy them off the shelf as a new item; you have to crack open original-equipment headlamps to pull the projectors from them. There are always scads of projectors on eBay, but you have to know exactly what you're after. Keep in mind there's no universal sizing or mounting, so there's not going to be a good name-brand projector that will directly fit and mount right in place of the original projectors in your aftermarket lamps.

Really, your best, easiest, least-expensive option is a set of factory headlamps in good condition with good bulbs, properly aimed. They're not projectors...so what? They're efficient reflectors.

As for side-of-the-road issues: yes, these you're showing us are definitely for use in countries where traffic drives on the left side of the road. They are not safe to use in countries where traffic drives on the right. But one of your pictures makes it look as if you might be in a country where traffic drives on the left. What country are you in?
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 12-10-2009 at 02:55 PM.

As for side-of-the-road issues: yes, these you're showing us are definitely for use in countries where traffic drives on the left side of the road. They are not safe to use in countries where traffic drives on the right. But one of your pictures makes it look as if you might be in a country where traffic drives on the left. What country are you in?
    I guess I should have mentioned that way earlier in this thread. I'm in New Zealand so yes the driver is situated on the Right hand side of the car.

Scheinwerfermann & Tay: I would like to thank you for taking the time for explaining the in detail of the issues I'm facing with my headlights.
    Again, thanks to all you guys who have taken the time to explain and help me out with this issue.

I will have to fish my Factory headlamps out. If they are blurry I might use the Permatex Headlight Lens Restoration kit or a similar product.

I'm in New Zealand so yes the driver is situated on the Right hand side of the car.
    More importantly, they drive on the left hand side of the road.

Vehicle placement on the road is what determines the beam pattern of the headlamps on the vehicle-- not the driver placement in the vehicle.

Removing the optics from one headlamp and installing them in another can
    be done successfully, but it is a great deal more complicated and difficult to get a good, durable result than is commonly understood. Typically the explanation goes
    along the lines of "bake the headlight assembly in an oven to open it (loosen the
    adhesive), mount the new projector, aim it relative to the high beam in the common housing, re-bake it and silicon shut". There are all kinds of problems not mentioned
    here. Silicone-based sealants produce gases that attack and cloud up the lamp
    optics. The projector has to be mounted with extreme precision; if you get
    the center of gravity wrong it will sooner than later shake itself out of
    alignment and eventually off its mounts. The low beam projector has to be
    aimed correctly relative to the high beam. You usually cannot get a lasting, effective seal after the lamp's been baked...

As far as getting projectors, you can't really buy them off the shelf as a new item; you have to crack open original-equipment headlamps to pull the projectors from them. There are always scads of projectors on eBay, but you have to know exactly what you're after. Keep in mind there's no universal sizing or mounting, so there's not going to be a good name-brand projector that will directly fit and mount right in place of the original projectors in your aftermarket lamps.

Really, your best, easiest, least-expensive option is a set of factory headlamps in good condition with good bulbs, properly aimed. They're not projectors...so what? They're efficient reflectors.

Taking the time to do it properly, the results can be good. As for center of gravity, the stock projector usually has mounting tabs on it. In my retrofit, everything is mounted using the original mounting tabs - the same screw holes that it was originally attached in factory application too.

Aim can be done in a variety of ways. I do adjustable brackets. I get the headlight housings bolted tightly into the car, then back into my garage. I have a magnetic laser level, and I set it equal with the center of the lens and level. I measure out the right distance, put something there for the light to hit, and level them correctly. Rotation is usually pretty obvious if you're on a flat surface facing a wall, because you'll see whether it's level, and right/left is easy - hold the wheel straight, and drive towards a wall, and see if the cutoff steps move from side to side or vary their distance apart.

There are some good non-silicone sealants, and many good retrofitters use nissan butyl rubber sealant, which is the OEM heat-sensitive sealer.

That being said, it's a long process, it's hard to get right on your first try (my first retro had terrible aim and the shrouds fell off, my second retro had better-but-not-perfect aim and leaked a little bit of water, and my third retro is going to be perfect when I finally finish it this winter). It takes a lot of hands-on fabrication skill, a lot of attention to detail, and patience. If you are a perfectionist, it will take a very long time.

I just came across these lights on the web. Below are the links to different Manufacturers:

Spyder Auto Headlights

Anzo Headlights

Maxzone Headlights

Option Racing Headlights

AMP Headlights

Has anybody ever used any of these brands. I think mine are Sonar (must be some chinese version). Any of these good?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast