E2D LED Defender authorized for Army carry?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Recent vets or active duty guys:

My oldest son is seemingly in the field constantly as a scholarshipped member of the University of Alabama's ROTC team that is some kind of competition with the word Ranger in it. He recently competed at Fort Benning.

Is the E2D LED Defender with a red lens something he can use in the field if I get him one? I noticed the phrase "Mil Spec 2" in the description by Surefire. Would the LX2 be better?

Thanks! GO ARMY

knightrider

Enlightened
My brother-in-law is in the Marines and we got him a Surefire 6P. I gave him a cree drop in but he never uses it. He likes the incandescent beam more for what he uses a light for. He said that he has unlimited access to CR123A batteries.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
He can most likely use whatever he wants. When I was in the Army they didn't care what kind of flashlight or knife you carried.

That would be a good flashlight, but the red filter is for reading maps at night, so it would have to be a low low. The Kroma would be a great military light. The military doesn't really use flashlights in the field, at least not in a tactical setting. Another good option that I didn't have would be a glo-toob. Preferably in green or UV. This would be excellent for lighting up a tent, base unit, or latrine in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend against the E2DL - mostly because those "teeth" are sharp and may become a liability to the user in the pile of tactical gear.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is a 6PL with a FM35, red flip filter. All stock parts and easy to order and have delivered.

The E2DL is also way too bright for anything he's going to be doing in the field.

That said, if he wants to, he can certainly carry the E2DL - there are no regulations specifically prohibiting the flashlight.

-Trevor

Edit: The "Mil-Spec" is nice, but by no means required or even essential - I knew guys sporting miniMag lights.

Last edited: