Any chess players?

scuba

Enlightened
Totally not lights related but I was just wondering if any of you played some chess online...

zmoz

Enlightened
I'm good at making chess boards out of expensive lumber...but my dog cab beat me at the game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I used to play chess with my son, with the board set up permanently. It was just a constant ongoing game. One Christmas season several years ago, I decided a glass chess set would be nice, and knew it would be an expensive set. It was nearing Christmas and there wasn't a glass set to found anywhere. Over the years, particularly since my son grew up and moved to NY, I discontinued leaving it set up. In fact I have hardly played. But guess what I should find at Walgreen recently. Two different total glass chess sets, men and board. One set was only $10.00 and the other $5.00. They aren't bad quality at all either. Of course I had to get one, even though I don't play much anymore.

Five dollars and ten dollars; how do they do that?

BF Hammer

Enlightened
My older brothers taught me how to play chess when I was around 8 year old. I think I had my own chess set by age 11. While in Jr high and high school I would read books on chess strategy at the library. In high school I had a binder with a chessboard printed on the cover, and it had cardboard disc chess pieces in an envelope inside. I played multiple games of chess daily during lunch breaks and study halls with my friends. I was moderately good back then, but people just got tired of losing most of the time against me, and I stopped playing almost entirely after school. I would try to keep playing with the computer chess games, but playing a computer is just tedious. I haven't played for some years now. I'm sure I've forgotten a lot and would get my butt kicked for several games while trying to remember all those strategy books. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loved playing chess while back in high school... And I absolutely hate playing speed chess... Most of the matches we had in took around an hour or so to finish. Mine usually takes over 4 hours... Caught a lot of grief for it, too...

My uncle's a chess nut, and he and I would go at it for 6-8 hours. A few times, we skipped dinner to finish a match.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
ZMOZ........... you make tthem too huh? Nice.
This is my first one. I plan on making a second one.... the board will be a huge coffe table. The peices will be as big as 22oz. beer cans.
I made this set by hand, using a knife, and Drimel tool.
{DF829FF8-4A51-4587-8635-F97C4E550BBD}lg.jpg

Click here for larger image.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Nice work, jtice!

Used to play and loved it but was always tough to find opponents cuz I was one of those six-to-eight-hour game players, too. The best games are the ones where you have to wake up your opponent when it's his turn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Too many senior moments now to be competitive...

Mah jongg anyone??

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
chess.net

Free, very stable, very good. I used to go there since 1996 or so. They never lost my account, they never kicked me for not logging in for years, etc. Telnet (!!!) and java interface. They have their own windows client (way better than the java client). Their "protocol" is "standard", i.e. you could connect with Xboard (linux) or any other decent software (even with chessmaster I think).

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't played in a very long time. The closest I came to online, was on the 40 Meter Novice Band, sandwiched between 2 international AM broadcast stations, at 5 Words per Minute, in International Morse Code. Talk about tedious!!! Outcome was Stalemate.