2AA LED ?

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
Hi All.

I usually don't post right away from joining a forum, I like to read and learn by my self, but I'm in a hurry, holiday season and what not.
I didn't considered my self a Flashaholic until I joined this forum and counted 20 or so battery operated lamps in the house:D None in the quality and standard of this forums, Maglites are the only brand names ones, but now I know way I spend so much time staring at the lamp section in the stores.:thinking:

So after a couple of treads I realized that I need better flashlights and I just ordered a Fenix TK40 also, 12 eneloops & cargers. The TK40 was an easy pick for the size, layout, power and quality-cost for my outdoor activities.
But here is the tricky Part, I need one 2AA Led lamp with multiple light options for the every day use, so here it is: What is the best 2AA that $75 can buy?:laughing:

thanks.

Hi my name is Jorge and I'm a new flashaholic.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
:welcome:

"Best" varies for each person. What is best for you may not necessarily be best for me. You need to specify what you consider as "best". Multiple modes? Single mode only? High output? Long runtime? Floody beam? Long throw? Lots of variables.

As far as what is out there for 2xAA powered lights, I recommend you start reading here:

2xAA Round-up Review: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, ITP, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Mag ...

Of the 2xAA lights currently available, I think a Quark AA² would be a good all around light. Or perhaps a Fenix LD20. Lots of available levels of light plus several blinking modes for signaling and whatnot. Also lots of accessories available, and parts are interchangeable with other lights from the same manufacturer so you can play LEGO with all of the different bodies, heads, tailcaps, etc. :)

I personally carry an EagleTac P100A2 in my Maxpedition pack since I like the simplicity of having just the two modes. This works for me but might not be the best for you. YMMV ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Read the review posted in the second post, it'll help you decide.

The Nitecore D20 is good because it has an adjustable mode. The Jetbeam Jet I EX has 3 user adjustable modes, but adjusting them is a bit more of a hassle then with the Nitecore. The iTP light also have adjustable output. Sometimes fixed light leves are also good, so the Fenix LD20 or Quark AA^2 could also be good choices.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the review posted in the second post, it'll help you decide.

The Nitecore D20 is good because it has an adjustable mode. The Jetbeam Jet I EX has 3 user adjustable modes, but adjusting them is a bit more of a hassle then with the Nitecore. The iTP light also have adjustable output. Sometimes fixed light leves are also good, so the Fenix LD20 or Quark AA^2 could also be good choices.

+1 on that, but the thing about the Jetbeam is that once programmed it stays programmed, with the D20, if you quick click to either minimum or maximum, you lose your previous mode (if it wasnt either minimum or max).

A Jetbeam iBS UI with memory i think would be a perfect UI for me.

pipspeak

Enlightened
IMO you have two things to decide -- do you want a light that is more throwy or more floody, and what sort of user interface do you want (a decision that includes whether a forward or reverse clicky)?

I like a light that is a little more on the throwy than floody side and I like a very simply UI with momentary switch so the Quark tactical was a no-brainer for me (two modes selected by twisting the head, but each mode is customizeable). I also considered the Eagletac equivalents.

Selfbuilt's roundup will give you all that informaiton, and more, to decide.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing you might want to consider is that you probably won't be able to tell the difference visually between the output of a single vs double AA battery light. So, if you wanted something that could also be EDC'd, you might want to think single AA.

Nitecore D10, Quark AA, Jetbeam.

The new Jetbeam RRT-0 looks to be a great light with the option of going single AA or CR123. It has a high high and a low low with anything in between and it's small.

If I ddn't already have a D10 I'd probably opt for that.

If you only need a light for around the house, the double AA lights do have longer runtime. For this purpose I think it would be hard to beat the Nitecore D20.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
but now I know way I spend so much time staring at the lamp section in the stores.:thinking:

:twothumbs Welcome to the club!
I felt the same way until a few months ago!

I would recommend an EagleTac 100A2. Great light and you could use the savings to pick up another light. The Quark minis are coming out soon !

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Jetbeam iBS UI with memory i think would be a perfect UI for me.

Is it correct to interpret this statement to mean that the JetBeam IBS flashlights don't have memory?

I hate memory. The fact that my L-mini II has memory is my only complaint against it. :sigh:

If a light doesn't have memory, then I can turn it on and set the mode I want without having to pause, guess which mode it's in, and then advance to the mode I want. Even better, I can power on the light and set the mode I want before removing it from the holster.:D

--flatline

Moonshadow

Enlightened
with the D20, if you quick click to either minimum or maximum, you lose your previous mode (if it wasnt either minimum or max).
This is a common misunderstanding. The lights work in different ways so if you try to think about one in terms of the other the operation can seem a bit confusing.

The Nitecores don't have 'modes' as such so cannot lose them. Instead they have a continuously variable brightness that you can set to any level you like over a very wide range. There are shortcuts to maximum and minimum and it always remembers what you had it set to last.

If you think about it that way, it works exactly as intended - you can set it to any level you want and it remembers that level until you change it. It's neither better nor worse than any other system - just different.

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
NITECORE D20?

This is a more a work of art rather than a flashlight so you won't want to drop it , also it unfortunately is far too heavy, so if you do drop it it will be easily damaged. It also does not come with a holster.

Go for a Fenix LD20 , lightweight and comes with Holster

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, all of you.
It's hard to choose from so may good lamps out there. About trow, UI, etc. I really don't care I guess I'm looking for an excuse to join the club and start getting more light emitting wonders, just concern of build quality and bang for the buck I guess:twothumbs

I allready have to many lamps that I can use already LOL, today I bought a Leatherman Monarch 400 to replace the beetup AAA mag that I had as a key chain:eek:

so far I like in order

NightCore D20
Quark AA^2
Fenix LD20

Although for a single AA the Tiablo TL-1 is growing on me. just looks amazing.

:thinking: where to start?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
so far I like in order

NightCore D20
Quark AA^2
Fenix LD20

Although for a single AA the Tiablo TL-1 is growing on me. just looks amazing.

:thinking: where to start?

Don't forget the latest 2AA in the market; Lumapower Vantage. ;)

I see you like The Teeth, maybe you should check out Nitecore Defender Infinity too. :naughty:

aimawayfromface

Newly Enlightened
I will throw in a recommendation for the EagleTac P20A2, if only because I own one and it doesn't suck terribly :) It's the brightest throwiest 2AA out there at the moment (except for maybe the Quark turbo, but that has a large head).

I recently tried the included diffuser and was really impressed by the output. By ceiling bounce I can't tell the difference with and without the diffuser but with it on, the beam is pure flood and very useful around the house.

The only issue I have with it is that the strobe is much too easily activated; very annoying. But I hear the latest models don't have this problem anymore. Also it comes in neutral white!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I love my D20 I would not recommend it if it will be your only 2xAA light. It is a nice looking light and is very "cool" if that is important to you but there are better options IMHO.

The Fenix LD20 is a great light as was the L2D before it. If you can find a second hand L2D Q5 at a good price then you are on to a winner.

I have never even seen a Quark close up but it has some nice features, the main point for me is that it is current controlled for most modes and only uses PWM for the low settings allowing it to have a super low long and lasting moonlight mode. The XP-G emmiters on some of the models may interest you.

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
You might want to fill out the checklist here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884
It will help us help you!

FWIW, my Eagletac P100A2 is my every day carry (EDC). Great value for the price, in my opinion, but it is also worth getting a holster and clip for it (Eagletac makes both accessories).

Here we go

It will be a general use Flash lamp
bought over the internet with a price range $50 to $75+
to be carried in my pocket when necessary but not all day.
with a single A or 2 AA, other types will come later.
3 simple levels at minimum 5-10 low 40-60 lumen med and 80-150+ on high with good trow but balanced with adequate run time
foward switch on the back at least 3 level simple operation UI and momentary operation. very durable construction light weight aluminum preferable and waterproof

hope that helps, thanks everyone.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have never even seen a Quark close up but it has some nice features, the main point for me is that it is current controlled for most modes and only uses PWM for the low settings allowing it to have a super low long and lasting moonlight mode. The XP-G emmiters on some of the models may interest you.

It uses constant current for ALL modes, not PWM.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
the original great light we all had was the l2d ce. you can find deals on them now really easily but if you dont mind spending your budget, nitecore d20 47s quark 2aa and can get bodies to have single aa or 18650 too, mini mag aa's are coming on sale at lowes on black friday for $11, just thought i'd throw that in there for the value lover in you. dont let that be your main light, but its a great second light for your glovebox. haven't checked out the new multilevel yet but will report back in a few weeks ;)

Hi All.

I usually don't post right away from joining a forum, I like to read and learn by my self, but I'm in a hurry, holiday season and what not.
I didn't considered my self a Flashaholic until I joined this forum and counted 20 or so battery operated lamps in the house:D None in the quality and standard of this forums, Maglites are the only brand names ones, but now I know way I spend so much time staring at the lamp section in the stores.:thinking:

So after a couple of treads I realized that I need better flashlights and I just ordered a Fenix TK40 also, 12 eneloops & cargers. The TK40 was an easy pick for the size, layout, power and quality-cost for my outdoor activities.
But here is the tricky Part, I need one 2AA Led lamp with multiple light options for the every day use, so here it is: What is the best 2AA that $75 can buy?:laughing:

thanks.