Malkoff        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

Default Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency

What you can do is turn the voltage dial ccl until you reach the min range (e.g. 3.95V, where the display fluctuates between 3.9V and 4.0V). Then turn cl to find the max range (e.g., 4.05V, where the display fluctuates between 4.0V and 4.1V). Finally, put the dial in the middle. Hopefully, the voltage value for the middle dial setting is close to 4.0V.

If I make a new test, I will keep in mind? This is a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    What you can do is turn the voltage dial ccl until you reach the min range (e.g. 3.95V, where the display fluctuates between 3.9V and 4.0V). Then turn cl to find the max range (e.g., 4.05V, where the display fluctuates between 4.0V and 4.1V). Finally, put the dial in the middle. Hopefully, the voltage value for the middle dial setting is close to 4.0V.

Built an LED Turbo Tower for use in SureFire TurboHeads.

I'm a little disappointed with the KD1640 driver that I used. Ordered six of them and this is the only one I've used so far. Driving an XP-G R4, which also underperforms compared to some other XP-G R4s I've gotten.

The KD1640 delivers about 1.05A, so that's good. Right in line with what you'd expect based on the sense resistors.

The first disappointment is that the XP-G R4 Vf ~ 3.38V@1.05A. True that this is basically in agreement with what is in the datasheet. But I had previously measured about 3.1V for another XP-G at essentially the same drive current. Hot spot lux at 1 meter is also about 10% lower vs the same XP-G with Vf~3.1V. Measuring the XP-G die height is difficult, but the two towers look to be the same within 0.003", so I don't think LED focus is the issue. The reason might be due to LED lumens variation in the R4 bin.

The second disappointment is that the KD1640 seems to have lower efficiency than expected -- about 80%-83% vs the expected ~90%.

The third disappointment is that the KD1640 seems a little unstable for Vin of about 5.0V +0.3V/-0.2V. Power-in takes a repeatable dip starting at about 4.8V, hits the bottom of the dip at 5.0V (~15% drop in power-in), and finally returns to the steady state value at about 5.3V. At least for this specific driver board, using 2x123A might be less desirable than 2x16340 Li-ion. The Power-in vs Voltage-in curve is otherwise reasonably flat when running in regulation (I measured out to 12V).

The last disappointment is that the KD1640 voltage overhead is slightly higher than expected at about 0.7V. Still reasonably good.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 11-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eprom View Post
    Hi, Like I promise I complete the tests for 2*, 3*, 4* serial connected LED's driven by PT4115

Results,

http://dosyalar.ledcozum.com/CPF/Eff...R16_Serial.jpg
    Thanks for those.. But have you measured the output current? Small change, but you have so many digits in your numbers.

From PT4115 datasheet:

I made diy-version today, I will measure the prototype tomorrow if everything goes well.. Currently running @ 1.13A with one led and 12V lead acid battery. About 76% efficiency.

Waiting for your Results,

You are right I have not measured the amperage for every voltage change. For AX2002 it was very rigid so I think like AX2002 test when making PT4115 tests, I measured the LED current once and don't care about it again. You catch it well, thank you for your carefulness. I am drawing back my results for PT4115 chip. I will control them again when I have spare time.

Thank you,
    EpRoM

Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Thanks for those.. But have you measured the output current? Small change, but you have so many digits in your numbers.

From PT4115 datasheet:

I made diy-version today, I will measure the prototype tomorrow if everything goes well.. Currently running @ 1.13A with one led and 12V lead acid battery. About 76% efficiency.

Waiting for your Results,

You are right I have not measured the amperage for every voltage change. For AX2002 it was very rigid so I think like AX2002 test when making PT4115 tests, I measured the LED current once and don't care about it again. You catch it well, thank you for your carefulness. I am drawing back my results for PT4115 chip. I will control them again when I have spare time.

Thank you,
    EpRoM
    I used cheap multimeters, so ±5% at least? Measured output voltage and amps, input voltage and amps I read straigh from the power supply. Measured in 1V steps, here's some graphs with a little filtering where you can get the idea: Efficiency and Current vs. voltage & leds.

Leds were XP-E, XP-G, 2x XR-E & 2x P4. 0.0825 Ohm theoretical R_sense so should be about 1.2A current. There were quite long and thin wire mess and not enough heatsink so it was pretty hard to measure because of heating so those isn't so accurate. Enough for me though, there seems to be consistent behavior. Datasheet says those should be like this @ 770mA. 3 LEDs are pretty close.

Your numbers were quite similar? Pretty good at higher voltage and >=4 leds, I think I will run those @ 27V with 4 leds.

Interesting that the 3 LED lines should be so close but the 1 LED lines aren't. Thanks for posting those.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency

Hi Eprom,
    I'd just like to say thanks for posting the info on the ax2002 driver I ordered some, ignoring the title (which still hasn't been updated) and have tried one out on a 12 volt supply. I connected it to an xpg r4 and ran it for 5 hours straight with no additional heatsinking to see if it would cope. It certainly gets hot but didn't flicker or fail. All 4 are now glued to the back of their respective heatsinks before I potted them, hopefully they'll be ok. I'd been looking for a cheaper higher output than the MR16 12+volt capable driver for a while.

Paul.

BTW, it's quite easy to change the set resistor on AX2002 drivers, including the MR16 drivers. The EQB8L driver chip used on some of the MR16 drivers I think doesn't do very well at higher current levels though, but those that use the AX2002 do just fine.
    Ian.

Flashaholic

Ta for that, I might try it next time I buy some

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    Interesting that the 3 LED lines should be so close but the 1 LED lines aren't. Thanks for posting those.
    You're modifying the driver to run 3 LEDs? Do I understand that correctly? What else did you modify from there to get it to handle the higher output voltage?

I don't think they have to modify anything. That's one reason why these drivers are very nice to use.
    Ian.

I don't think they have to modify anything. That's one reason why these drivers are very nice to use.
    Errr, the graphs were for the chips- but that didn't mean to me the components were capable of it.

But if they are.... then I'm going to be buying quite a few of these and using transformers to power devices.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephotog View Post
    Errr, the graphs were for the chips- but that didn't mean to me the components were capable of it.
    You quoted me making a comment about the comparison graph linked by Ekke in post 36. Where did you get the idea that he removed the chip from its driver board to test it separately?
    Ian.

You quoted me making a comment about the comparison graph linked by Ekke in post 36. Where did you get the idea that he removed the chip from its driver board to test it separately?
    That's what I was trying to understand- whether he had or not. Some statement was made about testing a prototype...

Think of it as just being sure what was happening before I go drop some $$ on something else. Too few $ for too many projects.

Please accept my apologies if you were offended or if it sounded like I was questioning your results- I was just trying to follow everyone's discussion and understand it in my limited way.

Hi friends,

I was waiting for this driver to test and use. DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree

* First Test for ~600ma current output with 0,82 Ohm Rsense
    * Various voltages used for test, from 3V to 8V

* Second test for higher current output ~1100 ma with 0,45 Ohm Rsense

- Trying lower voltages gives upto 4 amp input so I have tried for 5V to 7V and ~2.5A input. I have tested 2*Cree 3*Cree and 4*Cree

* Third test for Higher Voltage and Stability with 0,5 Ohm Rsense (~950ma Iout)

* I have paralled two 1ohm resistor and used as sense resistor.
    * I have tested upto 12.5V for 3* Li-Ion use
    * I have made a long term run test for 30 minutes. Driver does not cooled and trapped in a little box for mag tube simulation. Driver was very hot to tuch but also efficient at that point.

Hi eprom:

Would you please explain this configuration in more detail for those of us who don't quite follow your mod (me).

I'm considering using this board to drive 3 serial XP-G R5s. If I read your second test correctly, I'm thinking 5 1/2D NIMHs would yield 6-7v in a 3D host, and 1-1.1A at 10.5v? So each would get 1-1.1A and 3.5v? Seems like a good match.

Also, any thoughts on how to heatsink this bugger? BTW, I saw your posts on the DX board as well.

Thanks!

Hi friends,

I was waiting for this driver to test and use. DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree

* Second test for higher current output ~1100 ma with 0,45 Ohm Rsense

- Trying lower voltages gives upto 4 amp input so I have tried for 5V to 7V and ~2.5A input. I have tested 2*Cree 3*Cree and 4*Cree

Hi stinky,

Sense resistor placed here,

On my batch, there is two 1205 package resistors paraleled. One has R82 and One has 4R7 value. For 1.1A mod I have replaced the 4R7 with 1R0

Wish Helps,

Quote Originally Posted by stinky View Post
    Hi eprom:

Would you please explain this configuration in more detail for those of us who don't quite follow your mod (me).

I'm considering using this board to drive 3 serial XP-G R5s. If I read your second test correctly, I'm thinking 5 1/2D NIMHs would yield 6-7v in a 3D host, and 1-1.1A at 10.5v? So each would get 1-1.1A and 3.5v? Seems like a good match.

Also, any thoughts on how to heatsink this bugger? BTW, I saw your posts on the DX board as well.

Thanks!

Hey eprom, you've posted results for a boost board in a thread about buck drivers. Do you feel like starting a new thread for it?
    Ian.

Hi TorchBoy,

I wish a moderator change the title,

Like: DX Driver Board Tests, or something like that.

This helps keeping measurments together,

Hey eprom, you've posted results for a boost board in a thread about buck drivers. Do you feel like starting a new thread for it?

Silver Moderator

Hello Eprom,

I added "Test Results Included" to your title.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Thanks for your help SilverFox,

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Eprom,

I added "Test Results Included" to your title.

Tom

Tom, the thread is still badly named if it included test results for both buck and boost boards, and isn't exclusively about one particular Kennan-like buck board any more. "DX Driver Board Tests" would be quite good.

Eprom, can't you change the title of your first post yourself? (Isn't that where the thread title comes from?)
    Ian.

Default Re: DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

I have ordered these DX sku.3256 boards about 40 days ago at last I have received them. Theese were totally revised versions, no more using Zetex C310, uses new chip with lots of advantages.
    I recently recieved the same sku boards.

How can you tell if they use the Zetex board or the AX2002 chip?

Mine look exactly like the product pictures on the DX site.
    Last edited by Black Rose; 02-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Default Re: DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

Hi Black Rose,

Product pictures shown on DX is AX2002 chip version.

Wish Helps,

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    I recently recieved the same sku boards.

How can you tell if they use the Zetex board or the AX2002 chip?

Mine look exactly like the product pictures on the DX site.

Default Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency Test Results Included

Hi ...

Which chip/IC is used in DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree?

thanks

Default Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency Test Results Included

Hi aurum,

Sorry but the chip surface was sanded so It is impossible to identify.

But, The only step-up chip I saw on http://www.micro-bridge.com/ with 0,5Vfb was,

http://www.micro-bridge.com/data/Fee...ech/FP6201.pdf

Wish Helps,
    EpRoM

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Hi ...

Which chip/IC is used in DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree?

thanks

Thanks eprom .... btw do you now the ic which is used in der Wichtel driver?

Just another question ... do you know how to modify the driver so that it accepts higher input voltage of 12.6 or 16.8V? thx

hi,i just saw this thread. Nice! Do any of these boards have an external PWM input? thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast