Would you guys go for a light with this UI?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just fiddling with my lights, trying to decide which ones to bring with me on my holiday at the end of the month (Bali) and an idea just hit me so i thought i'd share it and see if anyone thinks this UI would be a good idea.

Forward clicky
3 modes, utilising a control ring
(nothing new so far right)

here's where i was wondering if it was possible:

each of the 3 modes can be programmed ala Jetbeam's IBS UI.

I was sitting here wishing that my Jetbeams had memory so i can just leave it in whatever mode it was in and not have to either reprogram to get the sequence i want or do a number of 1/2 clicks to get where i wanta go.

Reason i thought of a control ring to change modes is so that the light can used in momentary, i have a Jetbeam with a forward clicky, i cannot use it in quick flashes without the worry that it may switch modes, e.g. using it in minimum to navigate but i dont want to click on but using it in momentary might inadvertently switch it to another higher mode.

What do you guys think?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect jetbeam will come up with that at somepoint...it makes too much sense not to.

Crenshaw

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be really nice. Really ... nice.

Maybe just put sense resistors at each position IN the control ring so you can swap out sense resistors to whatever value you want. Just unscrew the head, slide off the ring, replace resistors, slide ring back on, replace head to hold ring in place.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
not a bad idea.

pretty simple but allows alot of versatility still via programmability.

here is my idea that is a bit more elaborate.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221311

its already old thread (made it when i was very new here.. but i still think it would be viable option.)

for those who dont care to read it.. here is summary.

4 levels separated by click-stop selector ring type.
2-1-off-1-2 (two clicks left and right)
no last used memory, always starts on 1st mode.
all levels would have 3 modes/slots in it.
all 12 modes are programmable.
and momentary mode would be also customizable for each level.
and on OFF setting only the customizable momentary mode would work.

all 12 output options (plus 5 momentary modes =17) available with 3 or 4 moves or less. no matter which mode you are in at the moment.

the maximum amount to get to certain output that is stored into last slot of the level: click on, twist, tap + tap. all others are closer by :)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
so no one else wants a control ring, forward clicky programmable ala IBS UI??

Am i alone here??? :D

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't really be IBS with a control ring, would it? Just a programmable control ring. Meaning you could set the control ring levels? I think a control ring with a few preset sequences would be a good way to keep it simple and minimize time spent trying to figure out how to, then actually program all the levels.
Option 1: straightforward low-low to Max ramping like a higher output U2A (0.2-250L)
Option 2: Ultra low to mid for power saving: (0.05 - 60L)
Option 3: add Strobe at max: 1-250L + strobe above max position
Option 4: a few constant plus a few blinky modes: 10L, 100L, 200L, Strobe, fast beacon, slow beacon, SOS

Satisfy everybody. All you have to do is a few fast full position sweeps to go to the next mode in sequence. Once set, forget it until you need some blinky modes or to lock them out.
so no one else wants a control ring, forward clicky programmable ala IBS UI??

Am i alone here???

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable control ring!!!! :ohgeez: excellent idea!!!!! :twothumbs

I would actually have an option where one of the positions could work like the Fenix interface (and still work with the momentary on in the other positions)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable control ring!!!! :ohgeez: excellent idea!!!!! :twothumbs

I would actually have an option where one of the positions could work like the Fenix interface (and still work with the momentary on in the other positions)
That level of insane customisability will only happen when Lightflux starts using a control ring....:laughing:

Crenshaw

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
to clarify, what i was thinking was that you use the control ring to change modes but each mode can be programmed like the Jetbeam's IBS UI, maybe instead of using three 1/2 clicks to enter programming mode, it could be modified to click and hold for 5 seconds to enter programming mode, then 1/2 click to change from programming light levels to programming strobe/SOS.

When the desired light level / strobe / sos is reached, click off and wait for xxx seconds for it to be set. That way, you could use momentary as often as you like without worrying that it would slip into programming mode.