Best LED for a Dog Walker

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
With xmas coming up and bearing in mind I source my gifts from the US with fair postage costs to the UK.

Would like to buy my future daughter in law a nice little flashlight for when its her turn to walk the dogs after work in the dark.

Only needs are small but not as small as a AAA cell light and to be able to be easy to use with winter gloves on and say a max price of 25 US $

As a newbie the Romisens seems a sensible buy as the vendor on here offers a very fair postage charge to the UK.

Any other ideas folks?

thanks in advance

Bill

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second your choice of a romisen. They make some of the best quality low cost lights. I think the Romisen RC-29 might be a good choice because she can use it in flood mode to light up a good area without it being too bright. It is also a single double AA light so its small and its a clicky which is easy to work with gloves. I would avoid twisty because they can be tricky in a gloved hand. If you want a twisty though the ITP A3 might be a good choice or the upcoming A2.

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened
I second the Zebra light! The wife walks the dog around the neighborhood with the 501w, and loves the light. The light works great out to 15 - 20 ft.

Kaamos

Newly Enlightened
I guess you meant a flashlight instead of a headlamp. There are pros and cons with both while walking a dog. Just went out tonight with my dog, a little hunting trip coming back after dark and tested the new Romisen RC-N3 II Q5. What's good about a flashlight that doesn't turn with your head is that you can look at the dog without blinding it with the light. Just keep the light so that the outer edge of the spill barely touches the dog.

I often go for "just walks" with the dog with a Tikka XP headlamp. That's convenient, as you don't have to switch the leash and the light from one hand to another if the dog isn't always on the same side (should be of course on a road, but that's another matter...). Just gives a free hand for something like a phone if someone calls and you feel you need to answer or whatever. With a dog, you usually have one hand "tied", at least here.

And yes, the Romisens are nice and inexpensive. I have just two, RC-G2 II Q5 and the RC-N3 II Q5. The G2 may have a bit limited runtime for long walks, otherwise it's just great. The bigger one has better runtime for this kind of use, depending of course on how long the walks are. For me the slightly over an hour of full power with the G2 is too little for a dog walk.

brted

Enlightened
Would like to buy my future daughter in law a nice little flashlight for when its her turn to walk the dogs after work in the dark.

I think you want something with a high mode for looking ahead and a low mode for seeing what the dog is getting in to without blinding everyone.

I just ordered this AAA light which has high-low-SOS and remembers the last mode you were in (mostly you will want high, so it's nice you don't have to switch to that every time). It got a great review from BessieBenny.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24291

Review:

http://www.jayki.com/flashlight_review_board/5621

A lot of the DX lights remember the last mode. I'm not sure why more mainstream offerings don't.

You may want something more substantial than a AAA light and this one is probably very slippery with gloves on, but it is pretty and seems like it should be pretty bright.