L4 clickie not clicking?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay... A little nuisance here... It goes like this:

Got the L4 today. Took it out of the box like a kid high on candy. Opened up the battery chamber to check up on the batts. Opened up the tail to check it out. Put it back in, clicked, and the cap felt sticky... Very sticky. But it clicked (recoiled back). Nothing. Light didn't turn on at all. Turned the tailcap ALL the way in, and clicked... Still, nothing. Took off the tailcap and inspected it again. Put it back on, and clicked again, and this time, there was a click, but NO unclick... In other words, it didn't have a spring back. It's stuck in ON mode...

But, the light came on... Now, if the tailcap is screwed in far enough, it just activates the light, and you can't unclick it off... The clickie seems like it's stuck. There's a space voide right at the end of the rubber membrane of the cap that you can immediately feel with your thumb, right as you try clicking down on it. A few taps on the end didn't work, and being that I don't want to disassemble anything in the cap, I'm out of options.

Any suggestions before I call up SF? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have already tried dripping small amounts of NyOil down the opened slits under the battery-spring... Nada...

The internal spring won't push the switch back up...

Darell

Flashaholic
Out of the millions of cycles I've put mine through so far, there was one time where I managed to get the switch a bit crooked when I clicked it on. I went to click it back off, and while it did audibly "click," the light remained on. Two more pushes, and I had it off, and it has never happened again. That's the closest story I have.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Choua,

For what it's worth, I have taken one apart and when I put it back together the firt time, I did something wrong in the assembly and the switch didn't function; much as you have described. After taking it once again apart and re assembly, it did function. I speculate that you got an incorectly assembled switch and your options are to have it replaced or *fix* it yourself. I could possibly be way off from the actual fact here but it's a self-educated guess.

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, for the replies...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Just replied to PK, and I'll hopefully be getting a replacement soon... I did as much as I could to see what was wrong, and couldn't figure it out... Everything looks fine, the internal springs look fine, but when I put it back together, it just won't click...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, I'd like to have a look at that bugger Choua. I just did open-heart surgery on mine, and it is slicker than snot now. The same smooth action as my beloved Z48 clickie.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want, you can come check it out whenever you're free... After cuttin' myself opening it up, and seemingly not finding anything, I just sewed it back up...

BTW, how did you get yours open? Is there an easier way to do it rather than popping the ring at the back?

Darell

Flashaholic
The ring with the two notches in it (seen from the button side (end of the light) is what holds all the switch guts in. If that is removed, everything can be removed. That ring, of course, doesn't really *LIKE* to be removed, however. I'm not condoning this process in any way, shape or form.

Latest posts