Neutral tint, I get it now.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
When I first got into these gadgets we call "flashlights" I was all about "more". More output, more runtime, but mostly, more output. To emphasize this point, I chose to purchase a lower quality light (vs a much better brand light of similar design) based solely on the fact that it put out something like 10 more lumens (my views were very skewed, price was NOT the issue).

On a whim, I purchased a neutral white head to my Quark 123t light. I told myself "well, it's got lower output, and it's an older emitter, but it's pretty cheap, and I should see what the neutral emitters are all about".

It arrived, and I tried it out in my house during the day. Not very impressive, told myself it was a waste of money, I threw it in my holster, and didn't give it a second thought. Later that night I was walking from my car to my girlfriends door (long driveway, lots of trees and bushes), so I fired up my Quark. WOW!! This new light was an absolute gem in outdoor conditions, and gave great rendering of natural colors, and supplied my eyes with depth perception that I was only used to during daytime conditions.

This light has absolutely spoiled me, and I feel I will never go back to a cool tint light. I plan on swapping emitters on the lights that I love, but came from the factory with cool color temps. I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I'm sure many of you have a similar story, but this is mine, and I'll never be the same.

OC

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that buddy, fully agreed on the neutral tint. Wait till you try a high powered incand.

Go check out the Fenix TK20, you won't regret it.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I didnt get it either.... Till I got a Stanley 2M spotlight. :twothumbs Building a ROP now. Warm tints are the best.

outersquare

Enlightened
imo tint takes backseat to beam pattern

when i built my ROP i used a smooth reflector and although the color was nice, the beam pattern was lumpy and ugly erasing much of the benefit..

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
True, Outersquare. I'll take a nice smooth beam pattern WITH a nice neutral tint. There are too many lights that fit this description to tolerate anything else. I'm falling in love with my Nitecore D10 all over again, mine has a nice creamy neutral tint.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I was just bitten by the NW bug. I just got a Quark 123^2 Tactical NW and that started it, then came a NW EagleTac T10CL2. Now I'm thinking about selling a lot of my cool white lights.

Is the TK20 the standard for NW 2AA lights?

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
They are the only lights I will buy now. In fact we are trying to get 4Sevens to do a neutral run on his Quark MiNi. Check out my sig if your interested.

gunga

Flashaholic
They are the only lights I will buy now. In fact we are trying to get 4Sevens to do a neutral run on his Quark MiNi. Check out my sig if your interested.

Yep, I agree, all my lights are now modded to neutral. Any new ones must be either modded or come in neutral already...

:p

strinq

Enlightened
I love the neutrals in forest environments or when i go for a night run near lakes but i prefer the cool in urban environments, i wonder why...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 strinq.

In rural / wildreness areas:
the reds (or warm tints) show more of the branch and bark and reveal more then a wall of green foliage. warm is great (also more pleasing to everyone i've ever had on a walk with me. Not one person has said 'wow, that cool tint is a lot more comforting')

In urban areas:
But cool is best reflecting off ashpalt or concrete. Cool tint is also a visually distinct tint - warm tint may blend too well with ambient / background lighting (moon light, etc.). Shining my warm tint mc-e on the road vs. cool tint mc-e (same driver for each light) the cool just 'pops' out, the warm fades in

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just bitten by the NW bug. I just got a Quark 123^2 Tactical NW and that started it, then came a NW EagleTac T10CL2. Now I'm thinking about selling a lot of my cool white lights.

Is the TK20 the standard for NW 2AA lights?

i have both the Romisen RC N3 warm white and the TK20, the Romisen is warmer but will not throw as far as the TK20. will try and do some comparison shots of both and post

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i love neutral tints also! tk20 was my first, so when i heard the quark had a limited edition for neutral i had to pre order it right away.

now im contemplating if i should get the mini in reg cool tint for its 189 lumens on my key chain... or go for the nicer neutral tint and make the comitment...*sigh* lol i should get both

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got converted the same day I got my quark AA too. You gotta try the TK20! I still love my quarks, but my TK20 is even better. I'm even looking for a nice incan or two to complete my night hiking setup.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I converted since the day i put a Q35A into my Ex10... i think the only non neutral white light ive got since then was the quark Ti

Crenshaw

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I agree, all my lights are now modded to neutral. Any new ones must be either modded or come in neutral already...

:p

This seems to be where I'll end up as well.

Still hesitant to tear apart my old and loved U2 though.. The other U2 is getting a neutral white at the Milky labs at the moment:D