Fenix TK40 SOS signal

zombiekiller

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone
I've recently caught the disease of wanting bright lights and recently bought a fenix LD20 and a TK40. They're both stunning lights and perform very well on my night job of killing zombies.

However, the other day when I just recieved my new TK40 i noticed that in SOS mode the second and third flash of the O signal seem to be odd, it give a bright pulse of light at max lumens at the start of the 2 flashes. I have read on this forum some others have it too, but I wanted to know what this is, surely it's not intentionally designed like that as my LD20 doesnt do that. Could this be a design fault? anybody with a TK40 could you please check.

It doesnt really take away from the practicality of the torch because I'm sure if im stuck on a tree surrouned by zombies undearneath me i can still SOS a rescue chopper, but it's very annoying as these things are bought because they're the closest thing to perfection and thats what we're all obsessed abut and long for afterall... Can somebody please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW lovecpf

ducat

Newly Enlightened
Mine does the same thing. I think its a generic fault, but as its a mode I'm never going to use I don't let it worry me!
The slow strobe on the low setting is the best mode to use for a locating beacon IMHO.:candle:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I believe that all TK40 has it. I measured it when doing my review:
sos.png

The red bars corresponds to the static levels.

biggerdog

Newly Enlightened
Mine does it too, and I get a similar effect when stepping from Turbo to Low.

I assume it's in the firmware and could be easily fixed in future releases if Fenix were so inclined.

I agree that it's a minor flaw in an otherwise perfect product.