Noob what's the next step up

Algeraist

Newly Enlightened
I bought a RC-G2 and then a 606A 3w both from DX

what's the cheapest next step up in term of brightness that runs on aa or aaa - don't want to go other bateries yet but I think I'm becoming a flashaholic and will have to soon

It's funny if a just went out and paid more money for a quality flash light I know it will be worth it. But I'm enjoying paying a bit more each time and so far seeing a good step up

ok it will cost me more in the long run but who cares

Patriot

Flashaholic

corvettesR1

Enlightened
I second the purchase of a Maratac AAA light. Ive have mine several monthes and its a really useful, handy and very compact light.Its easy to carry also.

Youll get 3 brightness settings with a simple twist of the head.Just just cant go wrong with one . Enjoy your new hobby.

pipspeak

Enlightened
The next step? Sell as much other stuff as you can because it's a slippery slope :laughing:

Something like the Eagletac P100A2 would be a logical next step IMO -- can be had for under $40 with a CPF discount. Or scour some of the CPF partner dealers for closeouts -- 4sevens is haveing a 40-60% off sale for a bunch of nitecore lights, for example. Battery junction has the iTP Eos A2 and A3 for about $20.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Here is a crazy idea. Sell you two lights and get a charger/battery combo from Battery Junction or another CPF vendor and then get something brighter and smaller than a 2xaa light. You could get a charger and 2 18650's or 4 rcr123's and a charger for around $30 or $40. Then you could spend about $40 on a decent new light or a really great used one for around $40 more. After selling your other two your o:thumbsup:ut of pocket would be around $60. Possible more than you wanted to spend, but now you will have a higher performance light and save a bunch on batteries. Plus you will have the battery set up for your next purchase. :thumbsup:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sooner you get comfortable with li-ion cells, the better. Go read about using and caring for li-ion cells (look at the threads of interest sticky for both the LED and Electronics/Batteries forums).

If you're ready, get yourself a multimeter (or at least a voltmeter) and buy a charger that can handle both 14500s and 18650s. There are lots of AA lights that can handle both regular AAs and 14500s, so technically speaking, you could get the light first and then switch to using li-ion cells later. Any light that lists the input voltage range up to 4.2v can handle a li-ion and will generally be brighter and/or last longer using a 14500 rather than a regular AA.

If you don't mind a slightly larger light, the 1x18650 format seems to be the sweet spot between flashlight size and output/runtime. I love my AA/14500 lights, but they can't compete with the guilt-free lumens of my 18650 lights.

--flatline

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Either go for a keychain light like the Maratac AAA, or get 18650s and go with a light that runs those batteries.

And when you are set to go again, get the other one in the above group.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Much as I see the appeal of 3V+ Li cells I think AA lights are perhaps the most useful to the most people and they still appeal to me even as I plan an SST-50/18650 light. My AA lights have always been the ones to come travelling with me. My Li lights generally stay close to home.

Having said that, I do remember the first CR123 light I bought years ago -- after being a AA and D-cell guy I was blown away by the power of such a tiny light and was stoked to discover that CR123 primaries were available online for $1.50 each or less. Just don't leave home with spares.