Tiny EDC like a Drake?

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, been lurking a while, looked at many of the threads concerning the "micro-monsters," and purchased a lummi Raw about 6 mos ago.

The raw is great, but I'm looking at something for everyday neck-lanyard carry(small and lightweight), with a LOW(5 lumens) and HI(+50 lumens)... in other words, a drake!

Problem is, I don't see any for sale anymore, even in the B/S/T. Is it possible to build something like this... perhaps an Eiger rebel with two modes and a 10280 battery? Does something like this already exist?

Thanks to all!

P.S. > I really like the small emitters like the rebel and XPE, as they provide decent throw even in a small reflector! :D

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi all, been lurking a while, looked at many of the threads concerning the "micro-monsters," and purchased a lummi Raw about 6 mos ago.

The raw is great, but I'm looking at something for everyday neck-lanyard carry(small and lightweight), with a LOW(5 lumens) and HI(+50 lumens)... in other words, a drake!

Problem is, I don't see any for sale anymore, even in the B/S/T. Is it possible to build something like this... perhaps an Eiger rebel with two modes and a 10280 battery? Does something like this already exist?

Thanks to all!

P.S. > I really like the small emitters like the rebel and XPE, as they provide decent throw even in a small reflector! :D

The Lummi Raw is probably you best bet for a small two level light, if you can not get the drake or draco.

I have collected most of these small lights here. I am missing the ThruNite (A low output light) and Jil CR2 (Larger and high power, but single level). (If anybody known some other good light I am missing from the roundup, please send a pm)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
From HKJ's roundup for your neck lanyard carry, it's better to go with:
- Drake (Oh? Are they not available even here?)
- La Petite Killer
- TiFli (though it's a bit dim)
- Wee Ti

Above choices are made of titanium, a better material than (Eiger) steel for neck carry simply because it's lighter and it's anti-corrosion against sweat and stuff. :green:
IMO, I find Raw or Jil CR2 a bit too big for neck carry, they're better on the keychain. But YMMV.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
HKJ: your roundup was very informative, I remember it now!

Zeruel: Thanks! I didn't realize they were available anymore, thought I'd missed a one-time boat.

Kaichu: That would be sweet...2 or 3 levels, tiny like a drake(for keychain carry the larger guys are fine, but they're just too big for neck-carry) with an XP-E for at least some throw from the tiny reflector...Awesome!

The TiFli is actually a very nice form-factor, but without a high output mode, can't see it replacing my photon.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Kaichu: That would be sweet...2 or 3 levels, tiny like a drake(for keychain carry the larger guys are fine, but they're just too big for neck-carry) with an XP-E for at least some throw from the tiny reflector...Awesome!
I really like the xp-e, even though the xp-g seems to be getting all the attention right now.

For me three levels like the Drake has is very good and the specific reason I got the Drake was that I felt the Draco would be even better as a neck carry if it were just a little smaller. Heck, I was already usually getting a couple weeks on a charge, since I actually use it for short periods and more as a permanent carry backup.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ and Zeruel and I tend to congregate in this area of tiny lights!

:crackup:

Another neat thread with lots of thoughts and info is here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229843

I have to say that I wear my TiFli 24/7 and love it, but it is dim and really best as a true backup light for indoor night navigation only... you can't really do work with it or see something very far away...

This might surprise you, but if I couldn't wear this around my neck (or needed something brighter) my next choice would be a Fauxton. They are super bright and light and conform to the neck well (larger diameters hurt when you lie down on them!)

Next up would be the Streamlight Nano! Very cheap but very bright!

Then I love my Drake and the Wee... both are stellar but the Drake is more functional... and in my opinion, these are now the size of keychain lights and not so much for neckwear... at least for me, but I'm picky.

All the best and please let us know what you decide!

hazna

Enlightened
Pretty soon 4Sevens will probably offer a 10280 light, or at least we can hope. I love my Drake and Draco!

I've missed the post where 4sevens is thinking about releasing a 10280 light... any idea of the post where he hints at this? I always thought he was against unprotected li-ion lights. If its true... can't wait (especially if it comes in XPG)!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edc the LPK and think it is one of the nicest lights I own!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've missed the post where 4sevens is thinking about releasing a 10280 light... any idea of the post where he hints at this? I always thought he was against unprotected li-ion lights. If its true... can't wait (especially if it comes in XPG)!
Hazna, sorry if I misled you into thinking he was planning on one, when it is just something I'm hoping for. :rolleyes:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Microflux.

But it's scrapped and it's going to be "40DD". We just have to wait for Kuku to announce, he's probably busy right now with the 3rd LF2XTi, Ti D10s and EX10s. :eek:oo:

hazna

Enlightened
Hazna, sorry if I misled you into thinking he was planning on one, when it is just something I'm hoping for. :rolleyes:

I'd hope for one too... I like small keychain lights! I think its unlikely 4sevens is going to make one though. Can always wish though...
rolleye11.gif

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I am also a devout fan of the little lights.

Apart from the already mentioned options, Sabrewolf has his mini tag that he is offering. I'm not sure if anybody has any in their hands at the moment, but it sounds like the original orders should be filled soon. It has a Ti body with your choice of cf, g10 or even Ti tops and bottoms. Since it is flat, it should wear well on the neck.

It's been mentioned, but should be mentioned again. You can get one of the Peak Eigers in a 10180 body. It would be a single mode light, but you have 8 choices for that single mode.

I'm looking forward to Ku announcing his next light. He originally had a LF2XT that had been cut down to take either a 10180 or 10280, but apparently Liteflux put a stop to that. There is something in the works and other than being direct drive I don't think we have much more to go on.

I don't think 4Sevens will ever offer a 10180 or even 10280 light. David is pretty adament about his dislike of unprotected Li-Ion cells and as far as I know the 10180 and 10280s are only available unprotected. Sure, they don't have nearly the capacity to cause damage as the larger cells, but I could swear that David has weighed in against making/selling any lights that would take a 10180/10280. I could be wrong and if I am, I will begrudgingly purchase one of his 10180/10280 lights. :laughing:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

And Incidentalist, great point about Sabrewolf's lights...I was checking them out and they do look good... I'd love to get more real-world feedback on them and see more comparison shots; I just don't have a sense of how big/heavy this would be on the neck...

That's too bad about the MicroFlux... But I have to say that from the pics, it looked almost as big as a Maratac AAA! I was shocked by the size, though I understand that it has some complicated circuitry from the LiteFlux...

I am satisfied with my beautiful TiFli... but always looking... i dream of an even brighter light, tougher light, and one that is the same size or even smaller... :sssh:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
The TiFlis are indeed great little lights!

Regarding Sabrewolf's mini tag, I think he said each led would be driven at 35mA. So I'm not expecting anything too bright He is offering the Photon Freedom's circuitry, so there will be some level of adjustable brightness.

Hopefully mine will be landing sometime in the next week or two. :grin2:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TiFlis are indeed great little lights!

Regarding Sabrewolf's mini tag, I think he said each led would be driven at 35mA. So I'm not expecting anything too bright He is offering the Photon Freedom's circuitry, so there will be some level of adjustable brightness.

Hopefully mine will be landing sometime in the next week or two. :grin2:

Please let us know how you like it!

:twothumbs