More Surefire Nitrolon models?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... why don't they make more lights out of this stuff? Its very light, durable, feels great in the hand on cold days, and affordable.

:thinking:

**edit** Feel free to discuss Nitrolon and polymer resin bodied lights in general. If you feel there are other brands besides Surefire that compare well.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they have the 2-cell, 3-cell, rechargeable and the (whatever the G2Z is) models covered. They probably can't get much smaller, since that would likely necessitate smaller threads that won't hold up in Nitrolon.

What other models did you have in mind?

Maybe Nitrolon versions of the M4 or M6? (I want the latter!)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
What other models did you have in mind?

Maybe Nitrolon versions of the M4 or M6? (I want the latter!)

Anything really... I wasn't thinking of any one specific model, but a nitrolon body M6 would be smoking!! I bought a used G2 the other week that was beat to he11 and back. The previous owner painted it, so it had a funky smell and looked horrid. I soaked the body and tailcap (after removing its gutts) in this stuff to remove all the paint.
dscn7780ao6.jpg

I have used this chemical spray stuff before on guitars and its highly toxic. It burns the skin and readily dissolves glues as well as paints. On one of my guitar restoration projects this stuff completely dissolved the glue that was used to hold the body planks together!! My guitar body had split in two.

The G2 soaked for 10 minutes and didn't bat en eye!! This Nitrolon is TOUGH as nails... and IMHO definitely Millennium series worthy.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
*snicker* power puff girls *snicker*

uhh.. raising maturity levels again. pics of the G2! :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are many worse cartoons kids can love than the ppg

Im thinking that anything smaller will start to have heat problems...

Crenshaw

zven

Enlightened
I'd definitely be up for some more Nitrolon models, myself. First that comes to mind would be something smaller and a bit more pocket-able than the G2. One or two cells, and a bit slimmer would work fine for me. Thrower, flooder, optic, reflector, I don't care. Just more pocketable than the G2.

Of course, I could also go for an LX2 in Nitrolon. I suppose there would be heat issues to overcome somehow, but I think it'd make an awesome light. And in this case, I'd be totally fine with a little added girth for the Nitrolon, so long as it kept the grip pattern of the G2. Man, that'd be about my perfect light for use with gloves...

And an M6 in Nitrolon? I want that!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
*snicker* power puff girls *snicker*

uhh.. raising maturity levels again. pics of the G2! :)

Before... This light has a layer of black spray paint on it.
dscn5921.jpg

After... Paint stripped, and some black rit dye. The difference is much more noticeable in person. No funky stink, or paint chips/flakes.
dscn5956b.jpg

Heres a pic without flash, this is more how it looks in person.
dscn5961.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Curious... why don't they make more lights out of this stuff? Its very light, durable, feels great in the hand on cold days, and affordable.

:thinking:

Perhaps Surefire decided that it's not cost-effective to release more nitrolon models. Another factor might be that nitrolon bezels don't work all that well with LEDs. And, that's currently what Surefire is concentrating on now. We're not going to see any upgrades to their inca. models for a long time. I still recall the first time Surefire released their G2L model with an aluminum bezel. The general consensus was that the pic was photoshopped, or someone was playing a prank by using the bezel off of their 6P on a G2L.

Why make most of a new model out of nitrolon, if you're going to need to use an aluminum bezel anyway?

elumen8

Enlightened
I'm a huge fan of Nitrolon or plastic lights in general. I like the feel of the nitrolon/polymer/plastic in my hand. An aluminum bezel for heatsinking is fine.

One of my go-to lights is the Pelican 2-cell PM6 3320 polymer light. Its about the same diameter as the surefire E series. If Pelican can make a polymer body that thin, then surefire should be able to build a thin E series nitrolon light too...that would make me happy. A one cell would be great. :thumbsup:

JB

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Before... This light has a layer of black spray paint on it.
dscn5921.jpg

After... Paint stripped, and some black rit dye. The difference is much more noticeable in person. No funky stink, or paint chips/flakes.
dscn5956b.jpg
Hello kramer 5150
I need some help :eek:
Is this the solarforce head?
Does it fit perfect w/ the G2?
What drop-in are you using?
I want to buy this head for my G2 w/ the solarforce drop-in, but I,m not sure if it'll fit perfect.
Thanks

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of Nitrolon as well. I think a nitrolon Titan would be a hit if they could find a way to manage the heat from an LED in the design. I would love to see a nitrolon M6, that would make a great high powered beater light. I'm sure it could handle the heat, my G2Z with P91 does just fine. What I would like to see is a nitrolon c series tailcap that can tailstand. I would be all over that.

My favorite nitrolon light is the G2Z. If you remove the grip rings, this thing is about the diameter of an E series light. Very comfortable in the hand and great for the winter months. And you don't have to be gentle with them, they take a beating and hardly show it. I stuff mine with P91's and AW 3 stage soft start tailcaps, as well as nailbender low powered drop-ins and forward clickies.

4020130616_03293e4f4b_o.jpg

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor might be that nitrolon bezels don't work all that well with LEDs. And, that's currently what Surefire is concentrating on now.
Yep. This is why I don't think we'll see anymore Nitrolon lights for a while.

Afraid-of-the-dark

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of Nitrolon as well. I think a nitrolon Titan would be a hit if they could find a way to manage the heat from an LED in the design. I would love to see a nitrolon M6, that would make a great high powered beater light. I'm sure it could handle the heat, my G2Z with P91 does just fine. What I would like to see is a nitrolon c series tailcap that can tailstand. I would be all over that.

My favorite nitrolon light is the G2Z. If you remove the grip rings, this thing is about the diameter of an E series light. Very comfortable in the hand and great for the winter months. And you don't have to be gentle with them, they take a beating and hardly show it. I stuff mine with P91's and AW 3 stage soft start tailcaps, as well as nailbender low powered drop-ins and forward clickies.

4020130616_03293e4f4b_o.jpg

What kind of clip is that? It looks like it came that way.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hello kramer 5150
I need some help :eek:
Is this the solarforce head?
Does it fit perfect w/ the G2?
What drop-in are you using?
I want to buy this head for my G2 w/ the solarforce drop-in, but I,m not sure if it'll fit perfect.
Thanks

Yes its a solarforce, no it does not fit well without some mods. I use lower current drop ins. The DX:0-100-R2 variable drop in is pictured. But I have some DIY builds set for 700Mah/17670 setups that also work well with this light. I have an 800mah-R2 module on order from DX which should work perfectly with this light. My 1000-1.4A DIY modules generate too much heat, even with the aluminum bezel.

dscn5959.jpg

Heres the mod. I had to grind it down a good 3mm to sufficiently clamp the module down against the body.
dscn5960.jpg

I just opened this thread up to general Nitrolon discussions... I had no idea they were this popular, and having never owned one before I had no clue they were this good.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of clip is that? It looks like it came that way.

It's a Novatac clip with an o-ring. They used to be $5 from lighthound.com, but I don't know if they are available there anymore. They work best with a modded tailcap with a clicky or AW's soft start switch installed, that way it is always screwed down and keeps the clip tight.

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Wow :eek: I almost ordered this head. Thank you very much :thumbsup: Know what? I'll keep my G2 stock. :cool:
Talking about new nitrolon models, how about a task light w/ a "nitrolon special" drop-in ? Maybe w/ same specs as the malkoff M60LL or M60WL ones. :naughty: :twothumbs

Last edited:

Latest posts