3AA vs 2AA mini mag led

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the two--longer run time with three AAs, brighter output, or both?

Second question is does anyone know what emitter is used on the old 3AA mini mag--the light without multiple modes, just on and off. The emitter is different than the one on the new lights with multiple modes. The old led is larger, encircled with a black ring and actually looks like an led compared to the "drop of oil" led found on the new mini mag lite.

yowzer

Enlightened
Second question is does anyone know what emitter is used on the old 3AA mini mag--the light without multiple modes, just on and off. The emitter is different than the one on the new lights with multiple modes. The old led is larger, encircled with a black ring and actually looks like an led compared to the "drop of oil" led found on the new mini mag lite.

The old Magleds use Luxeon I (Or III?)s, the new ones have the several generations newer Rebels.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The older ones used the Luxeon III (hence the 3 watt thing on the package). The newer on has a Luxeon Rebel.

For the older 2 AA and 3 AA minimag LEDs, the 2AA had more runtime and almost half the output of the 3AA.

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened
For the older 2 AA and 3 AA minimag LEDs, the 2AA had more runtime and almost half the output of the 3AA.

According to the review done by Flashlight Reviews, the 2 AA has less total runtime than the 3AA. However, the 2 AA dims to 50% brightness slower than the 3 AA, but it also starts off at a dimmer output. The 2 AA version also had the annoying problem of abruptly cutting off without warning, whereas the 3 AA version would at least dim.

Review of the 2 AA here.
Review of the 3 AA here.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I usually refer to runtime as 100% to 50%, and from that view, the 2 AA does have more runtime and I did state taht it was dimmer in my post.

The 2 AA does have the problem of suddenly shutting off and the 3 cell one doesn't have.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power inside:
AAA cell (rechargeable): 800 mA (a joke, but ...)
AA cell (LSD type): 2100 mA

Power:
3*AAA --> 2400
1*AA --> 2100

so: vs. a 1*AA light, the 3*AAA should have the edge.

but the 2*AA light is more-or-less the same class (a bit longer but smaller, ..., the "same") and smokes the 3*AAA with ease
(and the 2*CR123 smokes the 2*AA)
(and 1*18650 smokes all of them and is the king)
... in that size class and when a useful runtime is one of the things the light should be able to do.
Else a 1*14500 smokes the 3*AAA --> same power inside but brutally smaller

... everything clear?
;)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
The estimated lumen info is in that thread that I linked to, but it's kinda hard to find. I think it was listed in the description above some of the runtime plots. It was something like 20 to 30 lumen for the 2AA and about 50 for the 3AA.

50-something lumen out of a luxeon III is pretty decent for an "old school" light!

I've got a 2AA LuxIII version that sits at home empty and pretty much never gets used, except when I'm feeling nostalgic, due to the sudden death shut off.

I also have the 3AA model which sits in my desk drawer at work for a backup or loaner light for others. It's a good light for that role.

Last edited: