End of Times - What flashlights will you bring?

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, just saw 2012, was wondering what will be your choice/s of flashlights that you will definitely would want to carry with you in times of emergency or impending natural disasters?

I think mine would be a jetbeam RRT-2, Ra Twisty, M1X or Masterpiece and a AA light probably a Fenix. :D

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of batteries do they have on Noah's Ark?
It won't be long before the supply of batteries on the ship runs out.

You need a crank and/or solar charger for your batteries!!!
On 2nd thought you might not be allowed on deck long enough to use the solar charger.

I'd go with a crank light, but I don't know of any reliable ones.

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of a solar charger, but even that might not be viable (at least for a while) following something like a nuclear blast or a massive volano eruption because of ashes and things like that in the atmosphere that will likely block out the sun for a while.

Last edited:

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
I'd stick with single AA lights w/ variable brightness that allow for extended runtime. Something like my Quark AA would be a good choice IMO. AA's are ubiquitous, so you could always pick up a few packs for free when you join in on the looting. :whistle:

jamie.91

Enlightened
something small and light so i can run faster!

LD01 ss would be my choice because its the smallest light i own lol

EDIT: i would also take my green laser, may need to get someones attention or something lol

jamie

sabre7

Enlightened
Since these type of threads about end of times and nuclear winter seem to turn into discussions about guns, ammo, bunkers and survival gear, I'll go ahead and say it: you don't need to bring anything but the firepower to TAKE what you need. :xyxgun:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reality checking non-Hollywood info this is from Don Alejandro Cirilo Perez Oxlaj who is head of the National Mayan Council of Elders of Guatemala, Day Keeper of the Mayan Calendar, a 13th generation Quiche Mayan High Priest and a Grand Elder of the Continental Council of Elders and Spiritual Guides of the Americas. He is also an international lecturer on Mayan Culture. To paraphrase he says there is no end of the world happening in 2012 and is very upset this movie implies such based on the Mayan info. He says it is not the end times but rather the end of a 5200 year cycle in which there will be a shift to a new era (likely a shift of consciousness to a higher state) and that there will likely be a period of 60-70 hours of darkness (woohoo!). So during that time you can sell your flashlights at a $1000 a piece. :whistle:

:rolleyes:

bansuri

Enlightened
You can quote me on this: the world will not end in 2012. Ancient civilizations had far less knowledge of things to come than we do. It's just a plot device for books and movies that people have bought in to.
That said, if there ever is major event that disrupts services and utilities for a long time I think that a Quark with it's moonlight mode would be an economical solution. A stash of fresh-ish lithium AAs would be nice.
Also, if you've bought your flint and magnesium sticks but have never learned how to organize your tinder and kindling and successfully light a fire there's no time like the present to take a test run. Useful skill to light your torches!
Also, Jamie.91, a laser is a great idea! You could use it to signal someone and for communications.

Last edited:

fiveform

Newly Enlightened
To get back to the orignal question: I think that a dynamo recharging torch would be the way to go. With solar you rely on the sun, but with dynamo you can get what you need with hand power. Not the perfect light, but no reliance on stocking batteries or recharging them outside the light, carrying spares, etc. While these lights are not the brightest or best made, you can pick up a carton of them in the event that they fail.

The "survival of the fittest" concept must be respected when we lower ourselves to the animal level, but also keep in mind that what you take from another might not be what you want, need, or expect...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the end, I'll have a case of beer and a bottle of vodka with me.

Yeah, this is the most intelligent anser I read in this thread! :devil:

People tend to think we speak about a movie here, I undrstood that we speak of THE END OF TIMES, no matter if this will be in 2012 or when we're all dead and gone since long. You don't really need any flashlight for this last occasion, go to a high and somewhat secure viewpoint where you'll be alone (with the ones you love perhaps) and party until it's your turn! :party:

I'll have as many bottles of wine with me that I can carry. OK, I'll also take floody lights with me to illuminate the place when darkness arrives. I'm curious about the white tunnel of light, do you think it's cool, natural or warm white? :huh2:

Barbarian

Enlightened
^

Yeah Henk, the way I have it figured is that I'll be so lit up, I won't need a flashlight. :devil:

outersquare

Enlightened
e2dl is enough, along with AK-47 and some body armor..

i'd expect end of the world to only be temporary, atleast feudal tribes would coalesce instead of true perpetual anarchy.

i mean look at subsaharan africa, they are in constant conflict but even they are not true chaos and somehow they manage to keep their AK-47s and RPGs well fed..

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Surefires and Maglites with Malkoff drop ins.

Do you still have frequent blackouts in the P.I.?
and is it true that all urban area's now have electricity?
I havent been there for more than 30 years and thats where
my flashaholism started :D

Last edited: