BEST COMPACT 1x18650 LED

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for one of these with the following properties:

1) wide range from a low low to a reasonable max high (175 otf lumens would be nice, but less is fine-- the max is less important to me)

2) preferable at least 4 brightness settings: low, low-med, med, high (but 3 will do, as a compromise)

3) strobe/sos not wanted, but it's ok if it's in there-- would be nice if it could be ignored, eg on a parallel access pathway, eg the olights, or quark 123.

4) neutral beam color a plus, but its absence not a dealbreaker

The closest thing I have found so far is the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2, but this seems to be more throw oriented; I'd prefer something floodier. If there were a somewhat shorter form factor, that would also be preferable. Another option seems to be the Zebralight H60w. These both come in a neutral or warm tint.

I really like the "rapid response ring" of the jetbeam. There are a few cr123 lights that fit the bill, but I want an 18650 for the longer run times. For exampe, the nightcore extreme HA bezel R2 would be ideal in an 18650 format. I particularly like the infinitely variable brightness adjustment with bezel rotation in this model.

I realize that these are probably too many requirements to find in a single light, so I am just trying to see what different configurations are available, and if anything comes close-- or if not, how close I can get-- to meeting these criteria.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
First two thoughts:
- Jetbeam Jet-III ST
- Nitecore SR3 with 18650 tube

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
JETBeam Jet lll PRO ST BVC for sure. I have this light and love it. You can use an 18650 or 2 x 123a's in it. It is compact, has 3 user definable levels, and puts out 225 lumen on high all the way down to 2 lumen on low.

Specs:
Model: JET-III PRO ST - Featuring I.B.S. User Interface
LED: CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin)
Max Output: 225 Lumen (Torch Lumen)
Reflector: Aluminum Reflector
Lens: Mineral Glass
Metal Switch Retaining Ring
Lock-out Function
Material: T6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: 18650 Broad Voltage Circuit, which can use 2xCR123, 2xR123, or 1x18650 li-ion
Input voltage: 2.7 - 15V
Switch: Reverse Clickie
Modes: 3 User Definable Output Levels
Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard
Dimension: Bezel diameter 25mm, Tail diameter 25mm, Overall length 120mm
Weight: 65g(without battery)

Output & Runtime:
18650 Rechargeable Lithium Battery
Max Output: 225 Lumen, lasting for 1.5 hours
Min Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 150 hours
Reverse polarity protected

Here is a beam shot camparison I did against my JETBeam RRT-0 at 40ft.
RRT-0andJetlllProST.jpg

And here is how big it is in my hand.
Dsc01560.jpg

JetIIIProST.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately there isn't much out there. Most manufacturers follow each other around in circles and off cliffs instead of innovating and trying something different.

The closest things I can come up with are:

A Surefire 6P or similar body with a Dereelight neutral white 3-mode dropin and a F04 beamshaper for flood. The drawback to this is it's not truly compact and has a simple series cycle interface.

Shiningbeam sometimes has their compact 18650 light with neutral emitter, however these always sell out incredibly fast. Again a rather simple UI but should do the trick.

I've been searching for a similar setup for a year-and-a half too.
:shakehead

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
bondr006: I think that is the closest fit to what I am looking for that I have seen. Seeing your palm-pic of it really helps. The others tend to run over 130mm in lenght, but the Jet III looks like it must be < 120mm.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also suggest the L-mini II, but they are apparently not in stock for very long. I managed to get the Q3-5C model when it came out. The 3 modes are fairly well spaced. The high mode is advertised at about 200 lumens, but it is probably more like 175-190.

Vesper

Enlightened
I also prefer a floodier light and like the UI etc of these Jetbeams but the beams seem to be made more for throw. Can the Jet III be purchased anywhere w/ a OP reflector?

romteb

Enlightened
The jet III st is a very nice compact light, just be aware that it's much heavier than it looks, there is no way i can edc mine.

(I also realised that contrary to what i believed, 18650 is much more energy that i really need to be wearing on me, after a lot of different batteries tries, the 17500 format appears to be the sweet spot for me, that's 1Ah + of stored li-ion energy in a light you totally forget when clipped to your pocket).

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose heavy is a relative term. I never noticed that mine was excessively heavy, or even heavy at all. Of course I am used to carrying heavier lights like the RRT-2, so I guess by comparison, the JET lll Pro just never seemed to be a weight factor to me....

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Jetbeam JET-III M! Im getting one soon. Comes in a neutral tint, 225 out the front lumens for 3 hours on a 18650, second mode is completely programmable from 1 lumen and up. Strobe is also programmable but its darn near impossible to activate by accident. Its built like a brick, comes with a clip, and amazing quality.

Wattnot

Enlightened
+1 on the Jetbeam III. I have the first gen and it comes pretty close to meeting all of your requirements. It only got better after that!

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
(I also realised that contrary to what i believed, 18650 is much more energy that i really need to be wearing on me, after a lot of different batteries tries, the 17500 format appears to be the sweet spot for me, that's 1Ah + of stored li-ion energy in a light you totally forget when clipped to your pocket).

What lights use the 17500 format?

romteb

Enlightened

I don't know any light Purposedly built for that battery size, i use a modified (very easy 5 min mod) pdc-ak16 wich is initially designed to accept AA and cr123 formats.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some (or maybe most) 3xAAA lights with a separate carrier can be trivially adapted to 17500, but they do wind up larger diameter than needed.

My EDC cell of choice is 14670, especially in modded mini-mag form. It shares with the 17500 nearly identical energy, and, alas, a dearth of purpose-built lights.