Preon I beamshots

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Preon I today and here is a beamshot comparing to my Maratac SS with XP-E Q3-5A emitter. Preon on the left and Maratac on the right.

DSCN0763.jpg

Duracell in Preon and Eneloop in Maratac, High Setting:
DSCN0767.jpg

Duracell in Preon and 10440 in Maratac, High Setting:
DSCN0770.jpg

Beautiful light, definitely not one hand operation without clip or clicky tail. Maybe after the threads work in a bit it will be easier. Makes a nice dress light, very stylish design. Hopefully not to hard to mod when the more neutral XP-G's come out.

Last edited:

HighLumens

Enlightened
Thanks so much for this beamshot!! I've been looking for this for the last few weeks!:thumbsup:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff! Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if we are ever gonna see some beam shots of any of 4Sevens new lights. Your Maratac definitely has a warm glow to it. Mine is not that strong. This tells me that the Preon is very white. I like the floody beam of the Preson. This type of beam is great for reading, working, walking, etc. Not sure about the tint though.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks olrac!

This is awesome.

Can you give us some of your thoughts on comparing the two lights? I'm waiting for my Al Preon... but am not sure it will dethrone my Maratac!

Thoughts?

DigMe

Enlightened
Finally! Thank you! All of these people trying to describe the light and it's beam but not one beamshot until now. Looks great. That's not the stock emitter for the Maratac right?

brad cook

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
applevision: Looks wise the Preon blows away the Maratac, as a twisty the Preon doesn't work nearly as well as the Maratac simply because you can't operate it with one hand, though I kind of expected that seeing that it was going to have a smooth finish, that's why I also ordered the clicky tail cap I think that will make this a very usable light.

DigMe: no that is not the stock emitter in the Maratac I modded it out with an XP-E Q3-5A Neutral white emitter.

Overall the Preon is much sexier looking but without the clicky the Maratac wins in usability. Now I am waiting for my Iluminati Ti to arrive and compare with both of these.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it look moddable? Can we get a shot of the circuit board inside the head?

In a thread on the MP, David said somewhere that he wants to make copying of his lights as difficult as it can be and therefore the heads would all be sealed in a way that they can't be normally opened.

No neutral white until they eventually offer their à la carte service I suppose... :shrug:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'd say he's had these made pretty much mod proof, short of destroying the L.E., so my Neutral modded Maratac will reign supreme for awhile longer. Quite frankly there isn't much difference in brightness between XP-G Preon and XP-E Maratac and with a 10440 in the Maratac it blows away the Preon I

IceRat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Olrac

That is what I wanted to see, Preon vs. Maratac beam shots.

My Maratac was tough to turn on one handed when I first got it, and it broke-in after it was used. Maybe the Aluminum version of the Preon with the rubber texture might be easier to grip and turn on one handed. I can't wait till I get my kit :D.

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info. I messed up a couple Maratacs already, so no more for me. I guess no preon too. NO more non-neutral lights for me.

:shakehead

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a thread on the MP, David said somewhere that he wants to make copying of his lights as difficult as it can be and therefore the heads would all be sealed in a way that they can't be normally opened.

really? i would think the competitors just slice the light open to get in. i think it'll stop modders rather than competitors.

i would think it's more logical to be sealed because they dont want ppl to void their warranty playing around with it.

kwkarth

Enlightened
really? i would think the competitors just slice the light open to get in. i think it'll stop modders rather than competitors.

i would think it's more logical to be sealed because they dont want ppl to void their warranty playing around with it.

You can't simply "slice" something in half to see what's going on inside.

Potting does increase integrity and ruggedness a whole bunch.

Just my 0.02.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what f22shift was getting at is if you were willing to sacrifice the body you could get the Light Engine out to see the type of electronics used all for the cost of one light, that is cheap tech espionage. More likely it is potted for better reliability.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
applevision: Looks wise the Preon blows away the Maratac, as a twisty the Preon doesn't work nearly as well as the Maratac simply because you can't operate it with one hand, though I kind of expected that seeing that it was going to have a smooth finish, that's why I also ordered the clicky tail cap I think that will make this a very usable light.

DigMe: no that is not the stock emitter in the Maratac I modded it out with an XP-E Q3-5A Neutral white emitter.

Overall the Preon is much sexier looking but without the clicky the Maratac wins in usability. Now I am waiting for my Iluminati Ti to arrive and compare with both of these.

YES! Thanks, olrac! Can't wait for my Preon (and I wonder if that 'rubbery' coating on my aluminum will make 1-handed operation easier/possible?), AND my IlluminaTi!!!!